What do you want in a Ocean World?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
followstyle

Re: What do you want in a Ocean World?

Postby followstyle » Mon May 11, 2015 9:05 am

I am French of France. Sorry for the translation

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 11, 2015 2:32 pm

Jolly Roger's Lagoon was fine and beautiful, but it felt too big and cumbersome. Mostly because the swimming mechanics weren't the best. Swimming itself was okay, but the inability to attack was what got me. Yeah, you could shoot eggs, but you had to stop, orient yourself, aim, and...oh great, the baddie was BEHIND you. I felt like I couldn't appreciate the design or mystery of Atlantis because I was always worried about those darn puffer fishes coming out of nowhere. So I just kind of hid in places they couldn't reach until I decided where I wanted to go, and swam like hell. Not very fun.

Make swimming fast and fluid, and give us the ability to attack on the fly, just like on land. The transition between land platforming and swimming is perfect in Rayman Origins. You still move just as fast, and can whack stuff. Something like that, only adapted to 3D.
you kuh lady

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Right so... Chameleons aren't great swimmers and bats cannot swim so no underwater levels please ;)

Anna

Postby Anna » Mon May 11, 2015 9:49 pm

The biggest thing for me would be good swimming controls and not having to worry very much about air supply. I had a really hard time steering in BK/BT, at least when it came to the little alcoves with notes or whatever in them. Could only really steer when doing the slow swim, and had to stop and go into first person to aim myself half the time. And don't even get me started on Rusty Bucket Bay. To this day, can't beat it without cheat codes. :P

I know some people would disagree with me on the air supply thing, because no air supply mechanic or really long breath-holding duration would make the underwater parts less challenging than they might otherwise be. It's just a thing for me that I always get a little panicky when I see the meter pop up and start ticking down, and it makes me really aware of how I'm fighting the controls (or I feel like I am) to get where and what I need to get before I drown. Might just be me being a sissy, heh.

Now, something like how long breath lasts in WoW (3 minutes) would be okay for me. Not infinite, but long enough that the challenge (what challenge there is in WoW) is emphasized elsewhere, not in just hurrying up.

But yeah, breath meters and iffy underwater controls are what usually turn me off of underwater levels/level segments in other games. That and not being able to fight back while swimming.
No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Tue May 12, 2015 12:59 am

This Guy!

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Tue May 12, 2015 1:18 am

Well, one thing I don't want is a stupid mechanic where u have to rise the water level like in Mario 64, Zelda and DK 64.

Actually, I don't really mind it, as long as it's not done like Zelda's. Oh my sweet lord, that was awful.

Anyways, regarding the theme, I would like something like Gloomy Galleon from DK 64, a pirate themed world with sunken ships, pirates and such.

However a sewer system like water world like Clankers Cavern from Banjo Kazooie would not be too bad. Rather have Pirate world as it has more potential for personality.

croissant

Postby croissant » Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 am

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am

Aquatic Ambiance ;)
Make the forum great again.

croissant

Postby croissant » Tue May 12, 2015 11:54 am

Last edited by croissant on Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maitland

Postby Maitland » Tue May 12, 2015 12:44 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Not even remotely.
Make the forum great again.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 pm

I remember being afraid of water levels, it all begun with Mario 64... I started panicking when I lost 2 pieces of air, being afraid I would not make it back to the surface. Then there was this... Giant, ugly eel that tried to attack me and I had to grab a star from its' tail?! My 120'th star was collecting 100 coins in this level -_-.

But really, I love water. Especially waterfalls! I just don't want to drown.

So what would I like in a water level... First off all, no lack of air. Sunken ships will do nicely, some grotesque underwater creatures (fear has so be faced), no (or just a slight) slowdown in speed, then I should not be able to see the bottom of the water when I first enter it (yes yes, face it all!). A secret cave in which there will be air leading to a whole new area (able to surface) aaaand... I dunno, something to be saved like the dolphin from Rusty Bucket Bay (don't ask why)

What I absolutely detest are underwater navigational puzzles in the form of tunnels, sewer systems or whatever! They are no fun.
Stop picking your nose

Preston

Postby Preston » Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm fine with almost anything as long as the swimming is as good or better than tooie, I loved the swimming in that game, it just feels fast and smooth and fluid. But I do agree that there needs to be some decent attacks under water. And I like the level to be about a quarter land and 3/4 in the water like jolly roggers lagoon.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Big ol' Sea Critters

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Atmosphere, ambiance. A satisfying sense of underwater movement. Ethereal deep sea mystery accompanied by eerie yet soothing music. An energetic, sunny land or beach section for contrast.

I'm a sucker for nautical themes, and as such Treasure Trove Cove and Jolly Roger's Lagoon hold some of my favorite memories from the BK series. Outside of Banjo, let's not overlook this beauty-

Quartzy

Postby Quartzy » Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 am

I have already suggested what I want for an Ocean World.

Make it a city with glass domes underwater, and the outskirts of the city are bodies of water. That would be amazing.
The green acrobat duo is coming soon...

Puzzle Peace

Postby Puzzle Peace » Wed May 13, 2015 6:28 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed May 13, 2015 7:08 am

This: No ocean world at all. :)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”