What do you want in a Ocean World?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: What do you want in a Ocean World?

Postby Viellain » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

I want an ocean world done right. If they're going to make the entire world focused on the water parts then fine, but at least allow under water platforming like being able to switch between swim mode and platform mode so that we at least have that freedom to not constrain ourselves to blue vast open space and instead give us the option to at least traverse in least ordeal fashion as opposed to monotonous button clicking while painfully trying to grab some object you keep strolling past because of how bad the water controls can be at times. That's all I have to say for gameplay, they can do some great stuff with gameplay, just as long as they don't really force us to swim all the time.

Now as for themes and design I really hope they give us some cool under water cities like some ruins of an ancient civilization? Or I dunno how about a water level that is literally the disposal of some sewer place or the sewers itself. Gross, I know, but think of the creative environment poop aside. Maybe those poop could be hazards. But still; I can see a world being created out of a unique sewer place.

As for enemies this is where I think the ocean theme really shines. I think scary sharks are a necessity; Treasure Trove Cove had a jaws-esque baddie and Clanker's Cavern has a giant titanium shark that at first glance would've made you jump a bit. Also remember those explosive urchin enemies? That explosion was scary the moment it went off. And personally the ocean is a deep dark place. They should use as much interior swimming parts possible to create that deep dark eerie feeling just to be chased by a shark for making the wrong turn. Or wait! They could take advantage of the stealth feature to hide away from such suspenseful moments, but seriously. A deep dark scary ocean world where if you're seen in plain sight by some shark would create a scary chase and it would be perfect for the use of a stealth feature. I can already see a lot of potentiality happening in such an environment.

reversalmushroom

Postby reversalmushroom » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Mr.Vile

Postby Mr.Vile » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm

An ideal ocean world for me is one that is memorable for the right reasons. In some other games the underwater levels seem like such a chore.

selebu

Postby selebu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 pm

It really just needs Yooka eating something to gain some swimming capabilities.
Think of how amazing it was to swim in Zelda Majoras Mask as a Zora! I really loved doing that!

Some powerup for Yooka to swim as fast (and also good underwater controls) and a water world would be a joy!

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 am

Im not sure about the term "Ocean", I would rather say water world, because it should be a very unique water based world in Yooka-Laylee, creative and different than other water based worlds in other platformers. I am really hoping the water world in Yooka-Laylee will be something suprising like Clanker's Cavern or Rusty Bucket Bay was for me as a child and I don't really want something like in plenty other platformers. In nearly every platformer game allways are the same themes for a water based world (beach,isles,pirates,tropical,) and I really enjoyed those themes in BK (Treasure Trove Cove), Donkey Kong 64 (DK Isles,Gloomy Galleon) and a bunch of other games not made by Rare but this time I really want something different. But in the case of a oceanic world I would love to see a polluted touristic beach resort with a hotel facility or a oil platform. But what I really want is a world set in a giant bathroom inhabited by rubber ducks and the bathtub act like a swimming bath for them and the sink like a whirlpool and Yooka and Laylee should be as big as mices and travel through this giant bathroom which acts like a spa area. I came with the idea through Rubbadubbers a stop-motion animation show for children which is also from Great Britain and is based on bath toys which are living in a bathroom.

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm

I think I might be the only one, but I'd really like for the water world to feature a "not-so calm" part. When people think water world, they think beaches, beautiful sunsets, exploring underwater in calm environment... Don't get me wrong, I love these settings but I think there's more to it when doing a level around the sea.

What I'd really like to see is a part of the level being set in a raging, stormy sea with thunder, lightning, rain. Imaging climbing a cliff being beaten by the sea (you could have to hide behind rocks when the water's coming like in DKCR), bursts of winds would try to push you off the platforms you stand on or are trying to reach, etc.

As for the underwater parts, maybe add whirlpools, current, etc.

Anyway, that's just an idea, what do you think? :)

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Stop picking your nose

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:35 pm

The first idea I have is the one stated before, high dark cliffs with some protruding rocks acting as platform you can step on, leading you to the summit of the cliff where the pagy... (is that the correct singular form of "pagies"?) is resting. Maybe even add some caves in between. Kinda like the Giant's Causeway in Ireland but higher and steeper.

The top of the cliff could be only bare rock or maybe dead grass with dead trees with an abandoned lighthouse or something like that

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:04 pm

I don't know what an underwater level would look like in this game, but I trust Dave Wise and Grant Kirkhope to compose a great theme for it.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

croissant

Postby croissant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”