Lizard and Toucan?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Potionstuff

Re: Lizard and Toucan?

Postby Potionstuff » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:11 pm

I believe the character duo will go by the names Uku, and Lele, hence the title Uku-lele. (Genius on Playtonics part).
(EDIT: Better yet, "Ookoo" and Lele, with a title Ookoo-Lele).

Prior to the game, the characters will NOT be best friends (unlike Banjo and Kazooie), but instead they'll meet and team up for plot related reasons, each having their own personal goals for the quest. The characters will also be mismatched in personalities.

Uku, or Ookoo, the conspicuous male protagonist character, will be kooky, loud, and a little erratic, a bit of an odd-ball. He is the "Kazooie" of the game, in the sense that he gets carried around, however, interestingly he is the "Banjo" in the sense that he is the lead. (However, Lele tends to do more of the work). Unlike Kazooie, and as a shocker, Uku will NOT be a bird either(!), this departure allowing for a greater variety of unique movesets, however, the duo WILL still be able to fly via a creative learned move.

Lele, the female protagonist, will be a focused, quiet, disciplined chameleon character. She carrys the duo around like Banjo, and her gameplay is slightly more interesting than Ukus. Some of Lele's gameplay segments involve stealth where she camouflages in with her surroundings.

Sound good?

You heard it here first!!!
Last edited by Potionstuff on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:17 pm

I have strong doubts that the names will be Uku and Lele. In fact, I sincerely hope they're not.

A banjo is a thing. A kazoo is a thing. A uku and a lele do not exist as individual entities. And what's more, how do you even pronounce 'uku' out of context? Yoo-kyoo? Ooo-koo? Uh-koo? It's clumsy at best.
Make the forum great again.

Potionstuff

Postby Potionstuff » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:31 pm

It is pronounced "oo-koo," however the multiple mispronunciations of it only adds to the fun and weirdness of the character.

You're thinking too hard my friend. The idea is to have a fun, silly play on words and names, not to get caught up on weather their names are existing musical instruments or not.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm actually not of mind the title will be called Uku-lele (though it might), but when you put the names together that's what you get. Anyway, I can see why what I wrote leads to thinking I meant the former.

karashata

Postby karashata » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 pm

It's very, very unlikely that the characters will be called Uku and Lele, or that the game will have Ukulele anywhere in the title, since Project Ukulele is the game's code name and almost never does the code name end up being used in any way as a game's final title. I would be fairly disappointed if they did end up naming the characters and the game that way, if only because so many fans already came up with that (for whatever reason), and it would seem lazy on Playtonic's part to go with what the fans came up with based on the game's code name.

While I'm sure the game's code name does have some sort of connection to what the game's going to be like, I doubt it would be that literal a connection.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 pm

bearbuddy22

Re: 3DS and Wii U Please!

Postby bearbuddy22 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Helioptile

Postby Helioptile » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:25 am

Bring on Yooka-Laylee! :D

The Hype Train begins May 1st. ;)

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 am

I reckon it's either a peacock or an owl. The lizard is probably a chameleon.

Potionstuff

Postby Potionstuff » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 am

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 am

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:38 am

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Potionstuff

Postby Potionstuff » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:46 pm

So.

It appears I was (somewhat) on point like many others with a variation of "Uku-Lele," I came up with "Ookoo-Lele," but the final name was "Yooka-Laylee." (Nice one playtonic!).

I was also there with the characters personalities, one appears a little more settled, (Yooka) the other loud and erratic (Laylee), but curiously, I got the names switched, lol.

I think many people, like myself, were aware at this point one of the characters was a chameleon.
(Expect camo-stealth gameplay to be a big feature).

A Hawaiian Hoary bat (assuming that's the creature it's based off), crossed my mind earlier as a possible character, but I didn't think they'd go with that. I knew, however, that the second character would not be a bird. I am interested in what Laylee's moveset will be.

Looking forward to tomorrow chaps!

karashata

Postby karashata » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Huh. I certainly wasn't expecting that... I thought for sure they'd keep everything a secret until the Kickstarter went live.

I'm only disappointed I was stuck at work when they dropped that rather juicy tidbit.

Not at all surprised people's guesses about the green lizard character being a chameleon, not too surprised the other character's a bat. Sort of surprised they did end up going with a variation on "Ukulele" as the characters' names and the game's title, but at least they tweaked it enough to make it work nicely.

Now all that's left is to sort out some funds for the Kickstarter, then to wait the impossibly long time it'll feel like until the game comes out. Hopefully the boards don't end up too swamped or I'm likely to end up lurking more and contributing less (not that I contribute much anyway as it is... heh).

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”