I'm interested in a horror style level.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Mofologist

I'm interested in a horror style level.

Postby Mofologist » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:54 pm

One that just pushes the boundaries of being horrifying, nothing too scary because it not a horror game, but one that messes with the player's mind. This level will consists of crazy puzzles and a boat load of secrets to crack. Also should have a story specifically for this level that gets people talking/making theories about it.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

Taylor

Re: I'm interested in a horror style level.

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 pm

I like a macabre atmosphere too. My favourite level themes are either spooky, or magical (like Click Clock Wood/Cloud Cuckooland). I also like levels similar to Witchy World, but I'm not sure if that would fit under spooky, or magical.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=237 - I had this creepy spider boss idea, but then it was pointed out to me that it was pretty much identical to Donkey Kong 64. Oops. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=291&start=8 - I also had a dark vs light level idea, which I suppose is only 50% of what you'd like to see, heh...
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Horror themed levels are one of my favorite things in video games, and I would love to see a horror level in Project Ukulele, since it's only fitting that it would be in the game just like the good old Rareware games did. As for what sort of horror themed level I want to see in the game. Well, a giant graveyard with a huge cathedral set in the middle of it would be nice. And the boss would be a giant zombie decayed dragon.

Mofologist

Postby Mofologist » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:30 pm

I can imagine a stealth section in this horror theme level that can keep us on edge!
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:20 pm

I think the best levels have a thematic basis AND a practical basis. For example, horror would be the thematic basis here where a practical basis is something like a haunted house (Mad Monster Mansion) or an old circus (Witchyworld). One of the keys to making a good level basis is finding the right pair.

Due to Ukulele's world seeming mostly naturalistic so far, I'm not sure what the best choice would be. Two that come to mind fast are a graveyard and a hainted mine shaft.

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I always liked Creepy Castle in DK64 and Mad Monster Mansion in Banjo-Kazooie. I'd love to see something like that :)

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:57 pm

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:28 am

Always love the "spooky/haunted" levels.(as well as Snow levels)

Always pictured Big creepy pumpkins/jack-o-lanterns to walk through. And of course have to get Googley eyes on the pumpkin seeds!

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am

Although I sense Playtonic will likely stick to something simpler and more stereotypical to keep in the light-hearted tone, I'd like a spooky or horror level with no actual reason - a town, or a jungle, something of the like where perhaps there are no monsters or ghosts, something is just... Wrong. Maybe it's a bit too quiet, or everyone is just a little too excited to see you, but something... 'off' that gets no explanation as to why.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Rare

Postby Rare » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

I really loved Mad Monster Mansion, so I would definitely appreciate a spooky level. I love the Limbo enemies. So simple but so satisfying so KO.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:27 pm

A horror theme as part of the game would be great to see.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”