Thoughts on an Open World?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Aussie Legend

Re: Thoughts on an Open World?

Postby Aussie Legend » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:18 pm

I'm not a huge fan of open world stuff typically, but I do love the Banjo Kazooie style smaller more dense sandboxes where its not a chore to get from A to B and everywhere you look is something to see or do.

Ideally I'd keep the hub world + singularly instanced levels. I'd have the size of the levels somewhere between Kazooie and Tooie, and I suppose if they're going with the "opening up new areas with collectibles" they could open to Tooie style.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

I would much rather have well-defined, thematic, separate levels. A very-large and open hub world could be cool. Which, lucky for me, it sounds like they're already doing based on the talk they gave.
Make the forum great again.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:20 pm

I agree about a return to the Banjo-Kazooie format of the worlds. The Banjo-Tooie format was exactly the same, they just had larger worlds than the first game, which I suppose made things daunting for people. I think there's a fair balance to strike there.

As for backtracking and the whole debate about 100%-ing your way through levels, I really liked how there were some Jiggies you just couldn't get in Tooie until you discovered later what to do. It served as an interesting puzzle dynamic that connected each of the worlds in an interesting way. It made the game feel like it had more purpose, if that makes any sense. I agree that it would be too much if we had to constantly backtrack our way through levels, but I feel like this dynamic would only be vital to getting 100% in the game, not to actually beating it.

Each world needs to be given its own identity and its own reason for existing. Nintendo has it easy, because they never have to justify any of the insanity going on in Mario's worlds. In Banjo-Kazooie, themes are always a bit more grounded, and there is a strange mix of subcultures going on in each of them. Like in Bubblegloop Swamp, you have the Flibbits, which are sort of like their own little tribe you have to fight off. Then there's the gators, which apparently have golden god-like statues that crave eggs, and there's this asshole gator who competes with you in a mini game... The levels in BK/BT have character in that sense, and those are the kind of themes I want to see resurrected in this new game.

GOD

Postby GOD » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 pm

NOT GOOD.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:26 am

doppnett

Postby doppnett » Sat May 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Open-world" like GTA? would be an idea. Now Banjo-Kazooie isn't free-roam, yet open world. I'm also thinking of Epic Mickey(open world). but the two, can almost be free-roam compared to Spider-man; Web of Shadows. I pretty much would like a open world(free roam) element. i want to explore the worlds and every inch. The open world should be like the two.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sat May 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Open world work when the level themes are consistent with the world.

Jack & Daxter for example did that.

Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, however DID NOT and it bugs the cupcake out of me.

For that reason, I hope they stick with portals... Because then consistency can be damned!
(Which is Why banjo Kazooie and the GEX games work.)

Shelaylee

Postby Shelaylee » Sun May 03, 2015 4:10 am

It's funny, when I was a kid Banjo-Kazooie was the closest thing to an "open world" game I'd ever played. I think that's one of the big things that got me hooked on it. The fact that you could just go anywhere you wanted, explore, go back and re-visit places you've been, wander around, without following a linear path amazed me.

I think a very large, open-world hubworld with tons of places to explore would be cool. When I was a kid, walking into a new area and seeing the level entrance was one of the most exciting things about the game. It was mysterious, it made you wonder what kind of a level it was. In Super Mario Sunshine you could look into the distance and see the levels themselves, that was really cool. Another example is The Wind Waker, seeing islands in the distance (especially islands you had no way of reaching yet) was awesome.

Also, it'd be cool if the hub world changed as you went along in the story. Like how Grunty ordered her minions to wreck Spiral Mountain.

primecutt

Postby primecutt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:38 am

The only kind of "open-world" that I would find suitable would be like the world in Dark Souls. I loved how interconnected everything was and the world was so close to consistent in scale and position that the player could believe that it was all in fact in proportion and consistent. It's actually more of an illusion but that kinda just makes it more impressive to me.

One thing that most games avoid now and for good reason is big walls and invisible ceilings. Just for nostalgia's sake I think I would like the kind of boundaries we had back in BK and BK2. Stuff like massive tree walls and foggy skyboxes like in Click Clock Woods, at least for one level or something.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ghF2aA04jSo/maxresdefault.jpg

Big flagrant borders that make the game feel like a video game. There were few exceptions in the BK series one would be cloud cuckooland which was like a floating mountain which made some more sense but I didn't enjoy it as much. This is purely my preference but I think it would be a cool little throwback.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 am

I'm assuming the OP means something like Skyrim open world, or at least the Zelda Ocarina of Time - Hyrule Field ways.

This game is already open enough for me, and I really want valleys and some restrictions in some places like I think some are wanting. I think this game offers that, though, I have not seen doors, caves, interior structures, etc. in the Jungle level yet, which is a huge suggestion I would love to put out. :) Then again, this is still early in development.
But I can already see some restrictions so far I think.

As for the big fields like Skyrim or Hyrule Field again, I wouldn't mind a special level being in that form as it is. xD

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”