About the artstyle.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

What artstyle would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

"Classic" Rare artstyle
53%
New cartoon artstyle
20%
I really do not care
27%

Total votes: 66

Dom2112

Re: About the artstyle.

Postby Dom2112 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:38 pm

I think it looks cool. Reminds me of nutty acres a bit.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:46 pm

The boss of all Yoshis

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 am

Just wanted to add:
This is what Rare devs achieved on a console from 2002:

And this is what I mean with a more natural look. So i don't really want them to shoot for realism. But I'm sure they can do better than what we already got to see, i think and hope.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 pm

I think it looks gorgeous. It reminds me of the donkey kong country series

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 am

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:32 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 pm

The latest Playtocic news article fills me with much reassurance that Mr Hurst knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to making trees, rocks and all other stuff.

Although the very last bit about Nutty Acres concerned me at first because I'm not a fan of the 'inorganic' nature of the world's theme, but I doubt the entirety of Ukulele will be so nutty. Phallus-shaped, maybe, but not nutty...
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:59 am

Can someone post a screenshot of the Nuts & Bolts tree? I have no idea which tree they're talking about, never played the game.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:03 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 am

incoming Project-Ukulele: Trees & Phallus
Where it's not a wrench you'll be given :lol:
With the level: s*utty acres.
The plastic 'feel' is already there. ;)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Ugh, Nuts & Bolts worlds had so much obvious potential as platformer worlds. It's a shame the direction was changed and instead we ended up with nice-looking empty worlds with nice-looking but sparse assets and... cars. And no platforming unless you were basically glitching the game.

Oof.
Make the forum great again.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 pm

I hadn't noticed the sterility of Project Ukulele's world before, but now that you guys mention it, I notice the pathways don't organically merge using textures or anything like that. I guess I feel like the overall style presented is consistent with what we would expect from a Banjo game, and small, niggling things like "texture meshing" are just that, niggling little details.

I'm certain the small things will be fixed up later, but the reason I haven't been flipping out on stuff like that is because the gameplay is the thing that's been promised to me. I'm not having to compromise with myself and say things like, "Well, you still kinda get to use Kazooie... Maybe she can do cool moves with that wrench!" No, none of that stuff. This is the game we've been waiting for for YEARS.

That being said, I totally get that we all want the game to look just right. I loved the graphics from Conker: Live & Reloaded, and dare I say it's probably the prettiest game Rare's ever made. If the game looked like that, I would probably not have any problems with it, but I do understand if they scale back and make the world a BIT more cartoony, since that's more in line with the style in previous Banjo games.

Note: Also, looking at those Nuts n' Bolts levels again, I can definitely see why I never liked them... While graphically impressive, it's just not what you would want in a Banjo game. If a world is meant to be explored in a Banjo game, then making the worlds filled with pointless objects is just rage-inducing... and seriously, how many goddamn grass textures do they need?

Polygonzo

Postby Polygonzo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:39 pm

The impression I get from the two released screenshots, especially the outdoor one, is that they are just in-engine conceptualisations. I mean, that amount of foliage is not very practical when you start thinking about character collision and camera. The trees don't look functional/climbable (not that they have to be) but I think Playtonic are just giving us an impression, not actual level designs. They are probably many months away from having final level designs (and remember, as ex-Rare guys they will probable scrap an redo a lot of versions to hone in on greatness!). I think this game is still figuring itself out, but there's no problem with that, and it's great they're listening to their fans during this process.

Right now Playtonic is probably on cloud nine, but also kind of freaking out about how high/unreasonable fans' expectations can be. They have a great track record, but so did the ex-Rare guys that made that FPS Haze...they are still humans after all. They don't have a fool-proof formula for making classics. I just hope there isn't any serious backlash from the community/Kickstarter at some point because Playtonic don't deserve it, even if the game somehow turns out to be "meh". I mean they did make Nuts & Bolts :P (I don't think that game is bad, but it felt half-baked).

Anyway, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Their game is at least a year away at this point, realistically 2 years if I had to guess. Satisfying people's nostalgia is tricky, and often a fool's errand, but I support Playtonic just for who they are and the spirit they embody going forward.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Polygonzo

Postby Polygonzo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 pm

I personally really like the screenshots, even though some part of my brain (probably the one that called N64 nostalgia) feels a bit uncomfortable with them. Though I don’t think those are screenshots of actual levels, since they seem way to straight forward and collision wise unpractically (as has been pointed out above) to be part of the main gameplay and might rather be mere art-tech-demos or parts of the Hub world, which is connecting the levels. (Some hazy memories buzzing around in the back of my head make me believe having heard someone say something like that)
Also from personal experience I would judge it to be very challenging to create environments that are organic as well as modern looking. And as they pointed out it is their ambition to bring the style up to date, which they accomplished so far quite good, but it’s true that they might take techniques like texture blending into consideration to stir the future development of the game maybe in a bit less ‘sterile’ direction. However as people pointed out already it is more important that the art style blends in well with the gameplay, than the environment being a flawlessly organic world and as long as the player will able to get lost in the game I’m all happy.
Last edited by Tracy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Just to clarify, Playtonic stated in the presentation that the screenshots are part of the worlds in the actual game. I presume most of the plants have no collision and can be walked through, but I'm not sure.

I haven't got any major objections over the art; they've started to grow on me a bit. I'll make my final verdict upon seeing some actual in-game footage with the character running around. If it feels right, I'll be more than happy.
Taylonic Ltd.

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”