How many collectibles?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

How many collectibles?

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:00 am

So I was just watching GameXplain's video about the initial reveal that Playtonic was making a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82IZQyXU_OM

And the subject was brought up about why the "collect-a-thon" 3D platformer died out... They mentioned that Banjo-Tooie and ESPECIALLY Donkey Kong 64 went overboard with the collectibles, and that might have soured people's tastes toward the genre.

Speaking for myself, I do find the original Banjo-Kazooie more appealing then Banjo-Tooie, though it's hard to explain why... I think it might have something to do with how simple, condensed, and relatively straight-forward the first game was, while the second game felt a BIT too big for its britches, if you know what I mean... The worlds were massive, and there was so much to do, and a LOT of new moves to learn, so there was a LOT of backtracking involved. Shortcuts made things easier, but I can't help but feel a strong appreciate for the first Banjo-Kazooie for keeping things simple, among other things, then the second game that tried to "go big or go home"... Granted, it's still an awesome game and I love it, though not as much as the first game.

Given that Playtonic has said that the worlds are apparently going to get bigger overtime, I have to wonder if they're going to blow their load again... Only time will tell, I guess.
Last edited by EekumBokum202 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Taylor

Re: How many collectibles?

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 am

I don't feel Tooie had too many collectibles; on the contrary, they slimmed down the number of notes etc. to collect by using nests. Though I do agree that the backtracking became tiresome in places. DK64 did go a bit overboard, but Project Ukulele is a spiritual successor to Banjo, so it's not an issue...

I'm not sure how much backtracking will be necessary in Ukulele, if at all. I'm hoping that any backtracking would be optional and not required to complete the game. I personally enjoy entering a word, "milking it", then moving on. I'd go back for hidden secrets if possible, but I wouldn't want to go back to progress further à la Tooie. The recent Guardian article has Gavin confirm that the player will be able to do the game their way, so I'm hoping some degree of linearity is possible.

I think Kazooie got the collectibles right. I'd like something pretty similar to that. By all means add more super secret collectibles, that'd be cool, but don't make them necessary to move on.
Taylonic Ltd.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 am

Personally, I think Banjo-Tooie was alright with the collectibles. I never felt overwhelmed when looking for them, unlike in DK64.

Seriously, DK64 had WAY too many things to collect! I gave up and stopped playing because I'm a completionist and I was always looking for that one banana out of 500 that I missed, and when I find it, congrats it's a different monkey! Now go back and change, again! Then, you find another, which is not the same color again. Rinse and repeat.

I think that if they stick to what they did in banjo, they should be fine.

Keep things simple`:

Jiggy equivalent (pagies)
Note equivalent
Cheetoh pages equivalent
Jinjo equivalent
Mumbo skulls equivalent for magic, but not required to get them all for 100%

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:16 am

A primary (Pagies) a secondary (note-equivalent) perhaps a tertiary (Mumbo-token-equivalent) would be fine. I wouldn't count eggs or feathers as collectables for example. They're everywhere, respawn predictably, and aren't required.

As far as quantities, 90-120 for Pagies and 900-1200 for the note-equivalent would be my ideal.

Edit: oh I forgot a hidden collectible not required to beat the game (Cheato pages) and a collectable that leads directly to Pagies (Jinjo). I'm a fan of those as well. And maybe an equivalent to the hidden eggs <3
Make the forum great again.

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 am

I really think that B-T had the perfect number of collectables for the size of the game. I even think the number can be subjective; I think the best thing that the game can have is that once you collect something, you don't have to collect it again like in B-K. That's really what made B-K tough, in my opinion. I think that as long as whatever you collect stays collected, then the number of collectables probably won't be overwhelming at all.

Just give me lots of stuff to collect! :lol:

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:38 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:08 am

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:06 am

Despite the difficulty it induced, having to recollect notes and jinjos added to the original game, I feel. Tooie was in that sense easier but it made sense with the plot, no longer in Grunty's tower you aren't subject to her rules in her worlds. It depends on what they do with storybooks and Pagies.
In terms of how Many, I think to old formula was the best. Don't give us too many ammo types, make note equivalents sseparate and singular but gathered in groups to make you feel like you've actually collected all 100, and have jinjos or the like to incorporate that tenth Pagie or Jiggy equivalent.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:02 am

Banjo Tooie was a really good balance. Donkey Kong 64 almost had too much going on, I say almost because I'm definitely not one to complain about too much content.

III H1TMaN III

Postby III H1TMaN III » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Not sure.. But as long as we don't need to collect tons of coins that cover up the whole world. That just looks ugly.

I mean, coins were used for getting health back and extra lives in Mario. But Banjo Kazooie did that better in my opinion. Honey combs to get your life back and banjo statues for extra lives. That is way better than filling up the whole map with coins and making it a chore too to collect 100 of them. :/

When you find an extra life in B&K you always enjoyed collecting it. :)
Hey there fellow reader! I suppose I gained your interest somehow? It's nice having someone reading me. It feels so.. ticklish I should say. Thanks for that!

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:04 pm

I must be the only person here that played the Xbox 360 version of Banjo Kazooie, where the notes stay collected.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:08 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 pm

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:31 pm

120 golden Pagies, and 1200 for the note-equivalents. That's not counting the Cheato pages-equivalents, Jinjo-equivalents, and Mumbo tokens/Glowbos-equivalents that are maybe being in Project Ukulele.

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:34 pm

I think Banjo Kazooie had the perfect balance, but I definitely never felt like DK64 had too much. BK is my favorite game of all time and 3D Platformers my favorite genre. I don't understand when people complain about too much in DK64. The whole reason that game rocked was because it did what BK did, but with multiple playable characters. And each time you went through the levels you got to experience it in a different new way. I also think that the 100 note equivalent should have to be collected without dying. If you can keep dying then there's no real point or accomplishment. And definitely bring back something similar to the Jingos. That's basically a mini 100 note demo for each level.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am

I never got tired of DK64, though as a kid you have a lot more patience for collectathons.

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 pm

More the merrier.

And have PLENTY of secrets. Items and areas

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”