Do Microsoft deserve to sell Playtonic games?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CoolJosh3k

Do Microsoft deserve to sell Playtonic games?

Postby CoolJosh3k » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:36 am

Given everything Microsoft did to Rare, I do not believe they should be allowed to gain any profits from any Playtonic games.
However, this would mean that gamers who only own a Microsoft system would miss out.

I have always harboured hate for Microsoft ever since they ruined what Rare was. My disgust for Microsoft has been sustained through the years, as Microsoft continues to make me feel ill with what they are forcing the current Rare to do.

I do wonder if those who know about all the "crimes" that Microsoft have committed, would want to let Microsoft benefit from Playtonic.

Boshi

Re: Do Microsoft deserve to sell Playtonic games?

Postby Boshi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 am

I don't think that fans that only own a XB1 should be left out. The game should try to release on as many platforms as possible, so that more people can play it. Playtonic shouldn't exclude the XB1 just because of a possible feud with Microsoft (I don't even think they hate MS). It's all up to the devs, after all they are the ones making the game.
Last edited by Boshi on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The boss of all Yoshis

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 am

Yes. Especially since the case may not be that Microsoft "did" anything to Rare. Read this article published today: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ie-ukulele

It was more about upper management leaving the company and those left over not having solid direction. At a company like Microsoft every action must be justified by the ledger.

All that aside, as bitter as I am about Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts not being what I would consider a proper Banjo Kazooie game, I want Playtonic to get as much exposure as possible. And part of that means publishing to all current systems. PC, WiiU, PS4, and yes, Xbox One.
Make the forum great again.

CoolJosh3k

Postby CoolJosh3k » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:03 am

I should mention for those who don't know...

Nuts & Bolts came about, when Microsoft's directors decided to merge Banjo Threeie with a Banjo racing game. Instead of making both, they stuck them together.
Evidence suggests that Banjo Threeie had a good deal of development already done.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:56 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Dom2112

Postby Dom2112 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:53 pm

I personally think that Microsoft don't deserve to get any of Playtonic's games but I know that by doing that it is only going to hurt the people who own the Xbox one. So I think they should be aloud to sell Playtonic games just as long as they get no say on how they are made. All things said I hope to see project ukulele on all the current gen home consoles. Especially the PS4 and Wii U. :D

lankykong422

Postby lankykong422 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:14 pm

I personally hope it releases on Xbox One since that is the only current gen system I own (other than a 3ds). There are likely quite a few Rare (and now Playtonic) fans that play on the platform.

Blue

Postby Blue » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Well, yeah. The consumers shouldn't be punished because Microsoft screwed up. Besides, some of the people here only have Xbox Ones/360s, it'd suck to be left out.
"Hands off my bread."

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:42 pm

The game should be on as many platforms possible so it reaches everybody. I will be buying it on the Wii U but others may want to buy it on PS or Xbox or even PC.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that Playtonic will not be on Microsoft for that long - Nintendo might snap the company up (especially if they do earn an amiibo stretch goal).

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm

I'll be completely honest, I really think this is a immature way to look at things, so what, maybe you didn't like some of the Rare games on Microsoft, you shouldn't force people who only own MS consoles to buy a new on for PU (unless it is exclusive to ONE console) just because you didn't like those games. I'll be honest, I liked some of those games (including NnB), sure, NnB wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was still a decent title

That's just my opinion.

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

BadElf

Postby BadElf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Of course they deserve to sell their games. The fans deserve to buy their games.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 pm

The boss of all Yoshis

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm

...I forgot what I was going to post. Now I keep picturing kazoomie.

TheJHam88

Postby TheJHam88 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:16 am

Of course Microsoft deserves to sell Playtonic games! I mean, it is ultimately up to them which platforms they want to release the game on but come on. Sure, they bought Rare and ruined our childhood hopes and dreams of getting a BK3 but that was a long friggin' time ago. Both companies have likely changed drastically since then. It just isn't the same situation that it once was, let it go guys.
And geez, with the sort of rancor on display from ex-Rare fans you'd think MS intentionally tried to hurt them. Which I seriously doubt was the case.

Also, this is coming from a Nintendo fan. I'm not going to be playing this on the XBox One, but that doesn't mean I think XBox fans shouldn't be able to experience the magic that surely will be Project Ukulele.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 am

Considering Rare is owned by Microsoft, I actually think if the game is multiplatform (i.e. no console vendor snatches up exclusive rights, which I would be quite fine with) it should definitely release on the platform most big Rare fans should own just because it's the only platform receiving Rare games... I do not understand your sense of "deserving" the game.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm

I have to say this is a very divisive question... Whilst I would agree that Microsoft is at least partially responsible for Classic RARE's downfall, I would also say that Playtonic should be the bigger men and be as inclusive, rather than exclusive, as possible. This ensures a larger fanbase, better advertising, and a better chance at long term success, as well as proving they are above what will be seen by many as 'petty grudges'.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Immortal908

Postby Immortal908 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm

I hope they make it for the Xbox. I want to play it and don't wanna buy a Wii U, or pc game

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”