Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Alucard

Re: Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Postby Alucard » Fri May 01, 2015 12:39 am

I dont really like those floating platforms, they remind me to much on Mario Galaxy games kinda makes the worlds very generic if they would be used in each world. But I think they just use them to demonstrate some ingame things just in an very early stage but on the other side they are presented in those new artworks. Hopefully there are only in this jungle world.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Fri May 01, 2015 1:50 am

Repetitive minigames like the endless shooting galleries from Banjo-Tooie.
Really hard, controller breaking minigames like the canary-mary race in Banjo-Tooie.
Interconnected Levels.
Collectibles that are lost at death. (looking at you, notes from Banjo-Kazooie!)
Lifes. (REALLY outdated concept)

GenoPuppet

Postby GenoPuppet » Sun May 10, 2015 4:18 am

no CAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun May 10, 2015 6:47 am

Every element that involved Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts N' Bolts.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 am

Floaty movement and stiff character animations. What we've been shown so far looks great for (what I assume is) alpha gameplay? The idle animations are nothing to shake a stick at, but I'm none too fond of the way Yooka jumps with no takeoff and his limbs sticking out in a strange pose. Banjo always controlled with a great feeling of weight and "oomph," especially in the way he jumped. His arms would swing with momentum and his landings would leave him sliding on his feet a bit. I think control and animation are the two key factors in making a game that feels good, and both seem sadly overlooked in most modern day games. I have faith that the Playtonic boys will do us proud by the time of release, though.

Ignoring sounds for soundtrack. I don't think we've heard any in-game effects beyond the amazing two musical pieces, and I'm hoping the sound design isn't too overlooked by the end of things. Again concerning the feeling of weight, I'd love to hear Yooka's footsteps pitter-pattering in a satisfying way. I can't stand seeing a character run around in silence, it makes them feel like an object being slid across the ground, rather than an organic participant in the environment.

My last comment is completely personal, but I'm really hoping the camera isn't locked at a far distance from the characters. As a kid I always played B-K, B-T and DK64 with the camera as zoomed in as possible, because it put me in the moment and made me feel closer to everything in the world. Today I find, especially in what few 3D platformers there are, the character is a speck of dust, and the level is treated like the real star of the show. The joy of exploration is sacrificed for a practical view of what you're meant to see. The designers want to account for your high resolutions and widescreen TVs by giving you a ridiculous bird's-eye view, and it has always been a turn-off and broken my immersion. I've forever preferred getting up close and personal with the details of whatever's closest to me, it's simply how I prefer to play these games, and I'm personally hoping (though not greatly expecting) that to be an option for me with Yooka-Laylee.

The floating islands are kind of bothersome, too. They definitely detract from the uniqueness of the scenery. They're a bit "Skylanders."

And, uh... Maybe give Yooka a little shirt? Totally subjective. I just think he'd be cute Winnie the Pooh style, yeah?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun May 10, 2015 8:52 am

I don't want a full midi soundtrack.
Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun May 10, 2015 11:17 am

Stupid difficulty.

I love challenges but I don't want to be happy that a challenge is over because I felt it was done wrong and no fun.

The puzzle piece in the fan underwater is a good example. It was frustrating but I laughed after collecting it.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun May 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun May 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Jumpscares, do not want.
Possessed piano's, do not want.
Stop picking your nose

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 10, 2015 5:25 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Sun May 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun May 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Excellent discussion everyone. Kudos. Pretty much everything I would want to say has been covered.

My two cents: no pointless achievements. Seeing I got an achievement is pretty great, but nothing makes me feel more dumb than realizing I got super excited over getting an achievement for completing the basic training required to progress in the game. I don't need an award for watching a cut scene. If there are achievements, I want them to be substantial. Like, beating the final boss without losing any health. Finding a secret location. Unlocking a costume. Completing a level on super duper insanity mode. Winning against Canary Mary without cheating... I want it to be possible to beat the game without getting a SINGLE achievement, so that achievements can be more special and actually worth something.
Last edited by Nanirourou on Sun May 10, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you kuh lady

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Sun May 10, 2015 10:27 pm

There's definitely that, then there's the fact the game is only in alpha. There aren't any footstep effects that I can hear, beyond a landing after each jump. But I'll be sure to withhold any judgement of the sound design (or anything, really) until further notice.

Again, that is very impressive for alpha footage.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah, and the lack of enemies stems from that too. We'll just have to wait and see footage closer to the game's release.

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Sun May 10, 2015 10:45 pm

We probably needn't worry. Steve Burke is on the team, after all!

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 am

I looove the Kameo soundtrack. I still listen to it a decade later. So, needless to say, I'm looking forward to what he does here.

I'm so pleased David Wise, Grant Kirkhope, and Steve Burke are all involved. This is going to to be a sonic treat. :D

Banjokazooieboi

Postby Banjokazooieboi » Mon May 11, 2015 12:15 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 11, 2015 1:52 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 11, 2015 2:39 am

you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”