Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Super TNNtendoU!!!

Re: Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:42 am

Hardly any unserwater areas to explore and gaze at their sparkling beauty! I want plenty of underwater areas and exploration! If a world is truly alive ten it NEEDS underwater!!!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:39 am

MetroAndroid

Postby MetroAndroid » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 am

Yitsul

Postby Yitsul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:15 am

Stealth, long FedEx tasks that consist of travelling between 2 or more worlds just to deliver something or someone.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:27 am

Yitsul

Postby Yitsul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:30 am

Donkey Kong 64 did Swimming right in 3D!

Krvavi Abadas

Postby Krvavi Abadas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:29 am

Since no one mentioned it yet (Surprisingly enough, considering it's the reason modern Rare is hated so much.)
Kinect Support. For obvious reasons.

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:18 am

Well, hello guys. I'm new to this forum.

First of all, I hate when a game uses non-gameplay elements to tell us a story. I mean, cutscenes, long text lines, moments in which you cannot play, and all of that. Do you want to tell us a story? Please, just don't stop game rhythm. There are games, like Portal or BioShock, in which you play WHILE you get the story. I think that, if they want to tell us a story, even if it's pretty simple, gameplay narrative is the best way.

Also, I would like to talk about switch's cutscenes. Man, I hate those. I really hate them. I mean... Do you know that in maaaaany games, when you switch off/on something, there's a little cutscene each time you do that? If you're solving a puzzle, you lose some dead time in watching things you knew they was going to happen.

On the other hand, I want to say I love these games, but sometimes there is a terrain abuse. It was in Nuts & Volts: huuuuuuuuuge scenarios, but little things to do in it. I mean... if you make a formula like this:

things-to-do / square-feet

Some games, like Elder Scrolls series, turns so tedious. I wouldn't like a pretty well gameplay basis is thrown away because of bad narrative, switch's cutscenes or terrain abuse. I believe in you, guys.

By the way... maybe the classic 3D adventure game by RARE I played most is DK64, but I have to mention it was an error to make 5 characters. Each level had a great terrain proportion, but we had to explore it 5 times each, so it was kind of repetitive. I would love if this doesn't happen in Project Ukulele.

Thanks!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:36 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:45 pm

ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE CANARY MARY! I APPSOLUTELY HATE HER! TOOK ME TILL I WAS LIKE 18 TO FINALLY BEAT HER & 100% TOOIE! >:( i hate he so much i built a car in banjo kazooie nuts & bolts that looks like her sleeping in a bed & i named that vehicle canary mary's death bed! its soul purpose is to EXPLODE! & BURN IN MANY WAYS! lol XD i really do hare her :P

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but please limit the collecting and vastness of the game or at least use it to it's full potential without making things tedious or not fun

Donkey Kong 64 pushed it a little far with the collecting according to many people (I personally didn't mind it too much but I can see why they may have found it a bit annoying) I think it is probably to do with there are too many things to collect which were tedious to do so, like collecting the smaller bananas with different characters

Also, with the vastness of worlds, (this is generally, not related to Donkey Kong 64) some developers seem to make games which have huge and vast levels... but there's not much to do in them, or at least not as much as there could be

I don't actually mind track backing too much if I am completely honest

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

ShinyRegice

Postby ShinyRegice » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm aware about amiibo support being considered for the game. While I think it could be a neat feature for the Wii U version, I'm worried about how it will be used. I don't want to have something that doesn't feel justified as amiibo-only content (looking at you, Hyrule Warriors Spinner. And pixel Toad hunt in Captain Toad), and I don't want them to have too much impact on the gameplay regardless (like Fire Emblem characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M., those at least are justified because they're obviously guests but I don't want to see that kind of use in an indie game). But on the other hand, I want them to have more use than just unlocking a plain costume. If you want my opinion, the best possible use is to unlock special conversations with NPC guests.

I also don't want a badly written story which ignores plot holes too much. I don't think I have to worry about that, as I'm not expecting this game to have a complex story (which is not a problem), but I don't want to have a bad story. A simple, but cohesive story is all I care about.

Oh, I almost forgot, something else I'd rather not see are teleporter mazes; anyone who played Pokémon Red/Blue or their remake know what I'm talking about (looking at you, Silph Co. and Saffron Gym). They're just frustrating to play and the concept doesn't feel very creative imo.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Greens

Postby Greens » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm going to hop on with a few gripes that have already been mentioned. First being backtracking. By no means would I say limit it completely, but there is fine line to be walked here. I'd never expect the game to be completely linear and of course its always nice to revisit old worlds with a bag full of new tricks. But if overdone it can become very tedious, especially if making your 4th and 5th trip back.

Cookie cutter themed worlds were mentioned. I'd hate to see a game with out these elemental themes.. A snow filled wonderland is always so inviting, the difficulties antiquated with a fire themed world are always a welcomed challenge, the sunny beach themed water area taking you from your couch to tropical paradise.. But to completely follow the checklist one after another (basic intro world, desert, water, haunted, cave, winter, fire, etc..)would be a bit lack luster. An awesome example in recent gaming has to be DCKTP. Sure there are classic themes through out, but than you're hit with Owl Switzerland, African plains, and Juice Factory! Great variety while keeping some classic.

Now onto swimming. I'd hate to see it removed from the game completely, that wouldn't make sense. But the fluidity of the controls can really make or break the entertainment level here. I'd definitely say its something to be aware of. So many games follow suit on the same old and fall short, leaving us with a section of game we're looking to get through rather than enjoy. Not to keep bringing up DCKTP, but they really did find a way to spice up the water levels in 2d platforming. A fast pace twist while keeping it very fluid. It turned my once most hated levels in the genre into some of my favorite in the game. It can be done!

And the last thing I'd like to add. Coming from an avid Nintendo fan since I was first introduced to gaming. Over the past decade they've really let the level of difficulty within their games slip to a ridiculously low standard. Don't get me wrong, I love them and they're a blast to play. But more often than not I find myself zipping through the first 3/4's of the game with little to no difficulty. It's usually far to late in the game when they finally decide to start testing our skills. And once you find yourself really honing in on them, well that's it, GG and onto the next. There's a lot to be said about how difficult a game is and how memorable it makes it down the line. I'm not sure why Nintendo has went this route, considering the most difficult moments were the ones that really shaped my gaming foundation in the early years. So please treat us with respect and make us work to complete this game! We might curse you along the way, but we'll thank you for it in the end I promise :)
Last edited by Greens on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Trixcalechat

Postby Trixcalechat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:03 pm

I don't want a witch as the antagonist
#UkuleleForWiiU

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:44 pm

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm not a big fan of having to spam the A button, like in the Canary Mary races. It can get painful!

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”