Well hidden secrets

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
nicholas362

Well hidden secrets

Postby nicholas362 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:48 am

So when I was a kid I used to love BK. I loved the sort of mystical atmosphere, and the feeling that if you attempt something that's ultimately impossible hard enough then you might do said impossible thing. A perfect example are the doors in the room with the thingy that makes Grunty the prettiest woman. I tried so long to get those open, but it didn't work. Another example is the gate right behind the world exit in Mad Monster Mansion. In hindsight it's obviously impossible, but it seems like it's just so openable.

I think they should do something similar in Ukulele, but this time actually let you unlock these secrets. Make it very subtle, and seem very impossible. And don't make it where you get pagies in these places, just put something cool. Make SnS.

Am I crazy here? Am I the only one who feels this way about BK, and who wants it to be in Ukulele? Discuss.
Sorry if I didn't convey it that well, I'm tired.

Jaresk

Re: Well hidden secrets

Postby Jaresk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:40 am

I spent a looooooot of time as a kid trying to interact with the Banjo-Kazooie environment like that in hope of finding secrets. And while I enjoyed the wonders I had at the time, I think I'd look at all of it as codes and polygons at this point. At least without a hint. Cause I do like the idea of hiding extra super secret stuff in games, and if I ever make games, I do want to maybe do those. Like the secret puzzle in banjo's house was pretty fun silly thing to hide in there. Not adding to the gameplay or essential to enjoying the game, but still neat.
- -

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:49 am

I did the same when I was younger. I always tried to enter the locked door in the beauty machine room, for example, or get into the Stop 'N' Swop room in Gobi's Valley. Though the ice key is probably the biggest tease of all.

Nowadays I know the entire game inside-out. I've moon jumped my way in and out of every wall, looked at and edited the level models in Blender, read every single Stop 'N' Swop theory you could imagine... :roll:

Banjo-Kazooie has pretty much consumed half my life searching for hidden secrets. :lol:

Playtonic have already said they want to include lots of secrets and Easter eggs in Ukulele, so I'm positive we'll have lots to look for! My only concern is 'data miners'/hackers. They're bound to rip the game a part in a matter of weeks and spoil all the surprises.
Taylonic Ltd.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 am

I'd really like that kind of world. Just add things for cosmetic purposes to make the world feel real, or open. Particularly the hub world.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

TheJHam88

Postby TheJHam88 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 am

I'm happy to find out I wasn't the only one who spent a large amount of their youth just trying to find secrets in every corner of this game. That's something that I'm really gonna miss. When I was young I would try every little thing to try and find a way through the locked door in the beauty machine room. I would just keep at it because deep down I just KNEW that there had to be something behind that door and that Rare was testing me. I had to find a way.
Now I'd walk up to the door attack it once or twice and just think "oh well, locked door. Guess I don't go that way."
Oh to be young again. :P

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm sure there will be.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Since Playtonic said there would be secrets in Project Ukulele that would take us months, or even years to find. I would like it that they take a example in: . There was a secret in that game so well hidden, that nobody found it and the developers had to reveal it to let people know that it even existed in the first place. Imagine that Playtonic would do the same for a secret world in Project Ukulele, takes your breath away now doesn't it?

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:13 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 pm

The only true way to stop them is from your end. Add spoiler tags to forum post titles and avoid gaming Internet sites until you're happy to be spoiled.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Yep. Not getting spoiled is on the individual now. This is 2015 and information can and will spread instantly. I mean, look at how quickly a post is made here every time Playtonic so much as sneezes.
Make the forum great again.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 am

I spent so long trying to find a way through those back gates at MMM. Something about those unique textures get my mind racing. I hope playtonic finds a way to make me feel that way again, despite higher resolutions leaving nothing to the imagination with simpler textures.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:39 pm

The care that rare put into hiding secrets shows a level of dedication to depth that is unfortunately missing in many modern games. I'm not just saying this because I am one of those people who laments the changes that games of undergone in recent years although sometimes I am that person. Linearity in all genres is becoming a greater and greater concern, especially among first person shooters. Goldeneye was pretty far from open world but it certainly was not as straightforward as say call of duty. Even relatively minor differences like being able to exit facility in two ways make a difference in how the game feels, or levels that feel vast like surface or bunker 2.

ottake

Postby ottake » Sat May 02, 2015 12:49 am

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 am

Stop and Swap?

But with Digital games?
Thats possible, right?

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 02, 2015 12:56 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Please no guide dang its! That's a part of gaming culture we better leave in the past.

Just like the lifes-system.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sat May 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”