Playtonic's "Marvel Universe"

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
MFWolfe

Playtonic's "Marvel Universe"

Postby MFWolfe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I love this. I feel like Rare attempted to do something a bit like this after Diddy Kong Racing (Tiptup shows up in both Banjo games, Banjo and Kazooie's furs are in the Conker's BFD menu, Timber had his own game planned, ect) but it didn't work out for a number of reasons. These reasons are including, but not limited to, their being sold to Microsoft and the legalese involved in "who owns which DKR character". It would have been really cool to see more of this kind of thing because some of these cameos, Tiptup's especially, really add to the world-scope of the Rare universe.

It's great to see the idea finally come to fruition. How would yu guys like to see this system work out?

Alph

Re: Playtonic's "Marvel Universe"

Postby Alph » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 pm

This is definitely one of the features of Ukulele that I'm most excited about. I'm having so much fun imagining all the different games these characters could be in. Will we get some more 3D platformers (each with their own twist)? Will we get a DKR styled racing adventure that brings everyone together? Will we get a JFG styled third person shooter? Or a Kameo styled action-adventure game? Or a Grabbed by the Ghoulies styled beat 'em up? Or something completely new and unexpected? I'd love all those things and more!

Aussie Legend

Postby Aussie Legend » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Brilliant idea and I'm shocked no one has tried it yet

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Shoegayzer

Postby Shoegayzer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:01 pm

-
Last edited by Shoegayzer on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I'd rather see a racing game, to be honest. Either a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing or a realization of Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede would be lovely.

Jneal57

Postby Jneal57 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:39 pm

The whole idea is rather interesting. Can't wait to see more on it.

Hellmouse82

Postby Hellmouse82 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:54 pm

As a huge fan of massive universe spanning stories i am in (already a huge rare fan but hey i'm even more in) love the marvel cinematic universe and mike mignola's Hellboy universe. So count me in for the playtonic universe :)

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:52 pm

"Banjo-Kazooie" are officially the "Spider-Man" of the Playtonic Universe.

LinkJr

Postby LinkJr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 pm

It's really a brilliant idea, while many studios do a cameo here and there I don't remember anyone doing a truly shared universe. Hope they are successful and get to implement many new ideas in this universe.

DKVineHyle

Postby DKVineHyle » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Yeah, Rare hit the ground running with this as soon as they finalized the details for Diddy Kong Racing. Hell, the Rare Shared Univese (dubbed the Donkey Kong Universe by us old-timers) is still a thing today even with the legal split between the Kongs and the rest of Rare's stable, with Nuts & Bolts referencing the events of Diddy Kong Racing and Retro's Donkey Kong Country games throwing in references to Banjo-Kazooie (the only game series besides DKC that Retro says they took inspiration from). You can't erase the canon that Donkey Kong Island and the Isle O'Hags are part of the same archipelago, so you might as well nod and wink to it.

With Playtonic its doubly exciting because they're going into the first game with this idea, putting intense love into all of the NPCs so that they could one day anchor games. At the height of the N64 years, everyone was speculating which Diddy Kong Racing character would get their own game next. It's going to be so much fun to get back to that. It'd be even sweeter if they could find a subtle way to tie it back in with the Rare Universe as well. *Cough* #3TapsForUkulele *Cough*

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:07 am

That's really interesting input Hyle, I didn't know the islands were part of the same archipelago. Where is that confirmed/implied?

Upon about a week of reflection, I've realized the thing that makes this more exciting than the DKverse. It's the fact that the developers of the system of games actually want the connections to seem real. Sure, Banjo and Conker in DKR are "real" crossovers, but the ideology behind DKR "just" being a crossover racer that shouldn't be thought into much kind of dulls the connection. Plus, Nintendo themselves hated it. They didn't like that Mario and Conker lived in the same universe for obvious reasons.

Here, however, Playtonic views connecting one game to other games as a definitive plus, which is great.

John

Postby John » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am

I'm very curious to see how this works out with many characters in the main story. I feel like it will be difficult changing the core characteristics of characters from Project Ukulele. In DKR, every character was pretty much equal. There were no good or bad characters except for Wizpig. It would be weird to see a game where wizpig was the lead protagonist and good guy. So in the same vein, I'm worried it will be hard to transform bad guy characters in Ukulele into future good guy protagonists. Anyone see where I'm coming from?
Rarewareusedtobegood

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:00 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”