Important looking yet useless

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lupo

Important looking yet useless

Postby Lupo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Ahoy,

One thing I loved about DK64 which many hated was that one podium in Creepy Castle which antagonised players who were desperate to find out its significance, I think it's quite the nice touch if I am honest, and hoping we may see some good natured trolling involved in PU hehe

Leon

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Taylor

Re: Important looking yet useless

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366 - similar points raised in this thread.

Some of the detail in Banjo-Kazooie, like the gate behind Mad Monster Mansion's start pad, or the doors in the beauty room, looked as if they could open etc.

Ukulele should have much of the same, but also include some secrets that actually do open. People wouldn't know what is and isn't relevant. :P
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 pm

I think there should definitely be some things that appear significant but aren't. On paper it just sounds like bad game design, but... that door in Grunty's transformation room I mean come on!

There should also be an ice-key-tier item of hard-to-obtainness, only it should be obtainable without codes :P or the codes should be discoverable and not debug type stuff (CHEATNOWYOUCANSEEANICEICEKEYWHICHYOUCANHAVEFORFREE)...
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:18 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Focusing on exploration and puzzles is good game design. Having a useless thing that the player is fixated on for twelve hours is, in general, not good design. It means the player has been extensively distracted from whatever the actually-important-thing is. Many times it means the developer hasn't adequately portrayed their intent or solution. But in some cases it's interesting enough that the player is more intrigued than frustrated (several of Banjo's useless doors).

And frankly, many classic point and click games are poorly designed.

And it's worth reiterating that I think they should include a few red herrings in the game to keep the rumor mill going for a while post-release.
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:01 pm

So the moral of the story is... don't let me develop any video games... ever x3

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:26 pm

Stuff like that drove me crazy... but I sort of loved it! I just always wanted to know what was behind those gates that you couldn't open, and other things like that...

In DK64 there was a hole in the ceiling of the last area before you fight K. Rool, and I remember always wanting to use Diddy's jetpack to go up in the hole to figure out what was up there, but if you tried the "mwa ha ha" sound would play and bye bye jetpack...

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:49 am

This would be like my number one request. I always thought it would sound odd to others, but I would love for the game to be packed with these. I would be second guessing every room, my imagination running wild! Using this alongside extra hidden secrets would be incredible. I might think it was a ruse at first, only to have my mind blown when I discover a whole new room or something.

Playtonic, please!

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:01 am

Too many games nowadays have only what's absolutely necessary OR they make things ridiculously obvious as to what you need, like making objects sparkle or brightly coloured. I agree that they should bring back the age of EVERYTHING being interesting whether it actually usable or not. We don't have to have our hands held, and it cheapens the game.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Teasing us with objects of no significance is part of what Rare does. Also makes it hard to find secrets because you are just focusing on things that must have something in them like Sharkfood Island. They are Chekhov's worst nightmare.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 pm

One nice thing about focusing on developing for the PC is that there are absolutely no restrictions on scope. I'm not opposed to the idea of the game coming out for consoles but I think that it might limit the vastness of the game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”