Teleport Pads

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
GruntMaster

Teleport Pads

Postby GruntMaster » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Very excited for this project! Looking at the list of ideas, most of my ideas have already been mentioned. This is one I've seen hasn't been brought up in the main list, that I can see. How about adding teleport pads like those in Banjo Tooie? They can be unlocked upon exploration and would allow quick transport in large worlds. Separate mechanics could be used for inter-world transport.

Taylor

Re: Teleport Pads

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 pm

I think some form of warping would be necessary, especially as Ukulele is probably going to have quite large levels. In the Banjo hub worlds they used cauldrons and silos, which I think was aesthetically better than the warp pads in Tooie's levels. Warp pads would be fine in Ukulele, but there should be some brainstorming for alternative warp designs once we know more about the game...
Taylonic Ltd.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:57 pm

If Banjo Tooie is anything to go by, teleport pads would be a necessity. However, a Landmark system like Xenoblade Chronicles would be a better option imo (especially if the worlds are even bigger than BT).

EDIT: For those who don't know, the landmark system works like this: when you go exploring the world you end up stumbling across certain "landmarks", you can then 'teleport' there (actually, the characters just walk there, but the game skips it) anytime you want from the map. This could be effective on PU, because of the pagies opening up new parts of the world.
The boss of all Yoshis

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:32 pm

This is an absolute necessity. With how big their N64 worlds were, I can't see how they wouldn't put warp pads in this new game, considering it will probably be bigger than the others.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 am

Definitely include warping but maybe as an ability the characters use, to give the feeling that you're competent by yourself? Depends on the NPCs, I felt a little off using Jamjars' tunnel network after we'd just met, his brother had died and he was naturally rather blunt. Kinda felt awkward.
That being said, the idea of referencing the different Pagies and parts of the story unlocked sounds good, just "skipping to the start of the next page".
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:34 am

The boss of all Yoshis

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:24 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 am

Maps aren't really necessary when you have a hub world connecting to each level. You're not going to get wildly lost; you have a reference point and can memorise each level.

And don't forget the thread topic: teleport pads. Once you find two, you've created a new reference point and won't find it exceptionally difficult to lose yourself.

No maps mean greater exploration.
Taylonic Ltd.

Ikunuku

Postby Ikunuku » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I think there should be some fast-travel within the levels/world, at least if they are as big as the ones in Tooie. But I think it should be contextualited in way probably as a tunnel system and you have to clear/open every exit with some attack before you an use them. I think that would be better than just calling it a teleport pad and just activating it, unless the game is more heavily sci-fi themed. Or maybe every level could hava a different explanation for the "teleport system" that fits its theme.

I also loved the train system in Tooie. I have heard that Nitendo wanted a train system originally in Mario Sunshine, but then decided against it which is a shame. Train are awesome.

I would prefer if no teleport pad system were necessary in the hub world itself. I think the hub world should be more seamless, without any loading and the level entrances should not be progressively further and further away from the starting point, but simply in different directions. So maybe like Delfino Plaza in Mario Sunshine, but bigger.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:22 pm

I hope they don't go for levels so big they'd need teleporters or landmarks. The Banjo-Kazooie style of compact and open, but densely packed levels is optimal for a collectathon imo.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:31 pm

I hope for the reverse of that. Personally. Banjo-Tooie sized worlds would be my ideal. OR worlds that start BK sized but then expand to be BT sized with their new mechanic. I loved the size and scope of BT's worlds, though Terrydactlyland in particular felt empty-ish. They can use the advancements made in the last 15 years to make worlds feel a bit more meaningful instead of void.
Make the forum great again.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 pm

I hope that they keep a map, and arrows pointing to where the next goal is out of this game. I definitely think that is something that would be out of place in a rare game. That being said having mod options that provide it for that small subset of people who would prefer it is certainly not a bad thing.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 pm

I would be very disappointed in an arrow feature, that being said I don't think they tonic should put too much effort into defeating any community modification. If somebody cares that much about putting in a guide like that instead of just using a players guide I guess that's their own prerogative. It might even be funny if it's done ironically.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:56 pm

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 am

ottake

Postby ottake » Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 am

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Sat May 02, 2015 1:47 pm

I think that a map which can be opened by the press of a button (possibly Yooka getting it handed from Laylee and then the camera zooming in) Would not hurt the game at all IF, and only if, the map gets filled in as you explore... as if Laylee would be drawing it ad-hoc.

Especially since that is a thing we old-school gamers actually did in dungeon crawlers and the like ;)

You could even go for a crayon or paintbrush style to further accentuate it... and add some random sketches of enemies or random things on the off-side.

Also, Xenoblade Landmark style works fine for me.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”