Genders of the main duo

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Phineas Q. Phailboat

Re: Genders of the main duo

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 pm

I don't care what the genders are as long as the writing is good and the choices are made for the right reason. Banjo kazoo he has always had lots of characters of both genders and I really think it's a nonissue.

ottake

Postby ottake » Sat May 02, 2015 1:13 am

I don't think that stating the gender or making it a plot point would be wise. I mean it's ok if they do have it mentioned in a manual or bio page, but it shouldn't be important; for example in BK I spent years wondering if Kazooie was female or male. However, either way it wouldn't change any of the dialog, or how I percieved the game. I think it's great how they were just neutral about it all.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat May 02, 2015 3:20 am

Well we know now that Yooka's a guy and Laylee's a girl, so it's a non-issue at this point.

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:25 am

Anna

Postby Anna » Sat May 02, 2015 5:27 am

No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 am

Yeah I wish Yooka was a girl at least. But maybe Playtonic's next game will star a girl.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 02, 2015 6:18 am

I can see the characters as both genders. They don't look too feminine or masculine; it's ambiguous unless you know. It's the same with Kazooie's BK/BT model.

I like ambiguity. I agree that gender shouldn't play a massive part in the game and should only be mentioned in passing. Nobody cares what they are anyway, or at least they shouldn't, in my opinion.
Taylonic Ltd.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 am

In this image Yooka looks masculine to me and Laylee looks feminine.
Last edited by dream09 on Sat May 02, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat May 02, 2015 7:14 am

Am I the only one who don't anthropomorphize the characters that much? I don't even think of them as having a gender, and I don't care about their sex if they have one. In Banjo-Kazooie, the dialogs almost didn't rely on their gender, they could have been any gender and almost no line in the game would need to be changed. I mean sure they talk, so they're already heavily anthropomorphized, but even so I cannot bring myself to think of them as boy/girl, it almost makes no sense to me haha.

Dadie

Postby Dadie » Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 am

I don't think them having genders is bad, but revealing the genders might be. It would be (IMO) more funny if the game doesn't say or reveal "Yooka is male/female" but make hints to all sides (male/female/neither/????), so players can project them self in to the characters and experiencing their own version of what and who "Yooka" and "Laylee" might be.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun May 03, 2015 1:31 am

I don't think it's a big deal either way :P

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 am

I'm glad that Yooka is the guy and Laylee is the gal; it makes them seem more like the predecessors whom they were inspired by. Neither of the characters really look "masculine" or "feminine"; they are animals that do not follow human forms of gender.

Just because Laylee is the physically smaller character that sits atop the larger one does not make her role any less significant. They are partners and one character could not successfully complete the adventure without the other.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”