Any creative ideas on how to display +60 000 backer names?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lufkin

Any creative ideas on how to display +60 000 backer names?

Postby Lufkin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:02 am

There was recently a thread about this topic on the Yooka-Laylee's subreddit and I thought it would be an interesting discussion to bring here as well.

Do you guys have any ideas on how Playtonic could display the +60 000 backer names? The more oblivious and simple way would be to display the names in a very long credits sequence, but do you think Playtonic could make something more interesting, something interactive maybe?

For example, someone on the subreddit said that for the game Distance, the devs made a special "world" filled with orbs, and when you drive through them, the name of a backer would show up. (https://youtu.be/3iXb5798Scw?t=17m19s)

If the mine-cart mini games are more or less in the style of DK64, I thought of a long mine-cart track, where you have to "collect" (like the coins in DK64) the names and you could have a "score" at the end of the credits. The track could go trough the main hub world and/or all the worlds in the game, as an epic final overview of the awesome adventure we just completed.

That way they don't waste time (they are reusing almost everything they already made for the game), it could be epic to revisit every worlds in a different perspective with some crazy tracks, they could use that to hint at some secrets and other crazy/funny things Playtonic can think of.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Exaskryz

Re: Any creative ideas on how to display +60 000 backer names?

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 am

I would simply like a nice static room you can walk through. Perhaps while the main credits roll when you beat the game you can explore this room.* But I'd like it attached to the hub world somehow to just pop in after you start up the game again. The names should always be in the same place and so you can share the location of your name with friends.

*Just to clarify on this idea: I think if the credits were the usual scrollover 2D credits, life would be good. The backers would be written on a wall in a long hallway that you can walk through at your leisure - you still have control of your character.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

They could create an arcade game of it at the credits roll, akin to what super smash usually does.
Shoot as many names as possible and get an score in the end. Of course when only shooting all the names from Playtonic forum members a super duper secret will unlock. A giant fart bubble that somehow did not manage to reach the game in the end :)

Games with interactive end credits:

Stop picking your nose

croissant

Postby croissant » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 pm

More than 60k names...only to find our own and get our ego stroked ? I still think it's kinda pointless. Even though they did promise it as a £5+ backer reward, I'd be fine with a just a general special thanks note. Welp.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:07 pm

I'd be fine with a room full of names on the walls. And, as a special token of Playtonic's appreciation, an in the middle :P

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 pm

I thought it would be an extra on the main menu. You can watch the credit crawl before you even watch the intro.

Boring I know. But with that many backers...

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

selebu

Postby selebu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:01 pm

I already posted it on the subreddit, but I too think an interactive way to display them would be good.

Could be an Arcade Machine in the Hub World.
Something like a 2D sidescrolling shooter, where you have to shoot names and take damage if they reach the left side of the screen.
After you take enough damage, the game ends and you receive a high score depending on how many names you have shot.

Of course the names would have to fly in in complete random order, so that you actually have a chance at seeing your name. Also the arcade machine could have an option to just display all the names. I wonder how long it would take for 60k names to scroll by at a reasonable speed.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Make the forum great again.

Anna

Postby Anna » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:24 pm

No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

Blue

Postby Blue » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:00 am

Maybe a museum "level" with the names of backers lined along the walls? Kind of like Shovel Knight's Hall of Champions level. You'd have to explore the museum in order to escape and/or find your name, and, in doing so, see the names of some of your fellow backers. Just an idea; I don't know how effective that would be in a 3D game.
"Hands off my bread."

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:07 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:39 pm

I don't care, nobody will get noticed between 60.000 names or random google people up :P
It's not about ego, it's about love. Love we have for this project.

I'm more excited if they would do something fun with these names then having my actual name in it... Hell, I'll just use my nickname!
Stop picking your nose

rocho

Postby rocho » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:41 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Smash and Splatoon have fun ways to see credits. Hopefully something like those.

waffleme3

Postby waffleme3 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:30 pm

*walks into room with tons of backer names*

*spends about 3 hours trying to find mine*

I think it should be this

Imagine a room like banjo kazooie's room with the credits selection, Then next to it had a scroll that is named special thanks, It has a list of names IN RANDOM ORDER (so then people arnt like MY NAME IS THE FIRST ONE) and also have a search function to search the names to find yours.
/flys with lord helix

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:10 am

I really like the Encyclopedia idea.

Being able to flip through the book or jump to the section with your name in it due to being sorted by alphabetical order would be really cool.

Maybe it would require the rest of the pagies - you have to 100% the game - to spend the pagies on this Encyclopedia? Maybe not, as not everyone would 100% it and thus would miss seeing their name...

I think we could kind of combine the idea of a room and books by making this a library where each book title is a backer's name that you'd read on the spine of the book as they all sit on the shelves.

I am quite partial to the library idea now. I hope they do that. This way they can make books of various sizes and colors to make it a surprise what you get for your name. A simple bit of text inside of a book or the same looking text etched on the walls doesn't have that same appeal.

Maybe.. You could pick the book off the shelf and read what tier you had back. The contents would say something like "Owns a copy of Yooka-Laylee for PC" or "Wears a T-Shirt of Yooka-Laylee and has a copy of Yooka-Laylee for PC". Then the voice-tier backers can have "Voiced Shoebits" or "Mumbled for Greaseball".
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 am

Maybe a library you can find and every book on the shelf has a different name on it.

They should have made the name in credits a higher tier, that way there would have been a lot less than 60,000 .

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”