Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Re: Thoughts on the £2M DLC

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:53 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:22 am

Everyone is getting the complete game. They're completing the game itself before they even start developing DLC, much less add DLC. Some people will miss expansion content.
Make the forum great again.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:46 am

you kuh lady

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:09 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:52 am

Are these real people?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:40 am

Literally complaining about a gift lol

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:10 pm

If the DLC was free to non backers, I'm not sure why it would be a stretch goal, let alone a £2 mill one. If the goal wasn't added I would have no problem with it being free to everyone :)

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:17 pm

Backers get the DLC for free as soon as it's done, non-backers pay a little fee for this DLC which goes back to Playtonic.

Everyone's a winner, baby. :D

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I trust in Playtonic that they make a worthwhile and great DLC for the game. Either be it something as small as a Bottles' Revenge mode, or as large as an expansion pack for a minor/major character in Yooka-Laylee. Granted, I too would rather that they focused all efforts in a second game, then making multiple DLC for Yooka-Laylee. But, since they mentioned that they're looking for expanding to a second team, given them the chance to make another game while the first team is busy in making DLC's for their game. I accept their decision.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Last edited by Nanirourou on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
you kuh lady

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:40 pm

PONTO

Postby PONTO » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 pm

The way I see it, the game should not be compared so much to a car (which is essentially a tool), but rather to a piece of music, or a book, or a sculpture, or a painting. Suppose an author published a book and then decided to add a new chapter! I understand this falls into the category we all agree makes the game incomplete. It's like those DLCs that add epilogues. My position is that even if the writer added one single paragraph, say, a description of a place, or one dialogue (that might not be essential for the story to make sense)... all that would still render the original publication incomplete, because those details are fleshing out the characters, or the world, or even just the tone of the narrative.

I think it all comes down to whether we think of games as an entertainment service, or as artworks. I tend to put them in the latter category, but I concede that there are games which are clearly just about spending some fun time, and not really about communicating anything (for example sport simulation games).

As you may imagine, I am much more interested in games which are about exploring some world, or some story, or a set of ideas, than those which I classified as "entertainment games". In any case, I can't avoid feeling like a game is incomplete when there's "extra" content that's missing.

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:52 pm

PONTO

Postby PONTO » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Last edited by PONTO on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark the Dragon

Postby Mark the Dragon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:19 pm

I felt like the DLC's for Dark Souls 2 were well designed the areas were beautiful, each place had a touch and a story behind it and even though the story of those places connected to the main story it didn't alter the fate nor the story of the game itself but you got to know the backstory of those places from the DLC and how they connected to the main game, and to top off people that didn't own the DLC could play (To a limited extension) the DLC on co-op mode.

But one of the DLC's that i thought it was a major bullshit was the DLC's from Dead Space 3, most of them felt like something you would get from a freemium game on a mobile phone, and the only story related DLC was a straight extension of the main game that could be just included without the need of selling the DLC which only purpose was to leave a gap for Dead Space 4 (If that ever happens).
They told me i couldn't play games because of my claws. Q,Q

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:49 pm

you kuh lady

mathphysicsnerd

Postby mathphysicsnerd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:29 am

I do see that this has been posted before, but I'd still like to put in my two cents anyway. In my experience with DLC, it has always been created as either changes to incredibly small, seemingly petty details of the game or as a part of the game involving storyline, whether it be the main plot or not. I see inherent problems in either of these things being made to add to the game. Taking away story, even if it's not a part of the main plot is unfair to the majority of those who will play the game. If this is done by taking a chapter out of the finished product, that means the consumers are buying an incomplete product without their knowledge. If this is done by having the creators make an extra piece of plot for a side story, it's taking away from their time to make a sequel or a new original game. Adding small details to the game is greedy on the game makers' part and isn't worth having if the game is enjoyable in the first place. From this, I find that any DLC is a creativity and time trap that doesn't add enough to the game to be justified. I hope that their minds change on this subject before we reach the release date.
"I have a severe addiction to math."

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:40 am

If they change their minds at this point they would find legal trouble. So that's not happening. Nobody complained when Brood War came out.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”