Media thread (new gameplay footage, interviews & more!)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Latikos

Re: Media thread (new gameplay footage, interviews & more!)

Postby Latikos » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:52 am

That was a great interview! We got a fair amount of details about the characters and world (and a little more Steve Mayle's bashing :lol:). By the way if I understood correctly, Grant talked about a "Haunted Forest" and then corrected itself and talked about a "Haunted Ice Forest" around 12:30 in the video, could that be a clue to an ice world expansion?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:01 am

I did think of the glacier concept art when he started speaking about a haunted ice forest. It seemed like such a specific example and the fact we have the frozen concept with a pink tree in it made me wonder if there are more trees (enough to make a forest) planned for the level...

But more likely, we're trying too hard to find new information. Grant was probably just making a general example totally unrelated to the project.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 am

Great interview! I am SO fine with knowing only very little about the game till it launches! Hope they wont spoil any other worlds till then.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:44 am

Stop picking your nose

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:42 pm

you kuh lady

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:33 am

Stop picking your nose

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

I think they'll reveal who their new team members are, we already know about Dean Wilson but there's still a newcomer we don't know anything about... :)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:44 am

I thought it was consensus that Jungle looked great for 3 months and was only getting better. Where did all this "ooooh I'm worried about X" talk come from? lol

Excited for that news too, even if it's just another dev name
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am

Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:17 pm

I think they'll probably start speeding up, actually.

They've already got the main characters and their physics worked out. Character movement, several abilities, etc. That was all a big part of the initial 3-4 months development and they won't have to do that again (obviously). And then there's the BIG factor that they won't be managing the Kickstarter and doing like a dozen interviews every day anymore. That'll free up quite a bit of time.

It's interesting how many artists they have versus just "programmers" though. There's two software engineers and like five artists. Which makes sense though, there's a LOT of assets to create. Art has always been where my personal indie projects fail. Hard to animate when there's nothing to animate :lol:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:29 pm

With Unity, they don't have to build as many core systems. It handles the lighting mostly automatically, it handles collision detection of various ridiculously shaped assets, etc. The programmers mostly need to tell things when/how/where to move, and add moves. Versus art which has gotten absolutely insane in gaming. For everything that actually moves, there's a dozen that don't. Books, pipes, mushrooms, coins, dust and dirt on the books and pipes and mushrooms and coins, enemies, trees, bushes, flowers, butterflies, pillars, docks, boats, skyboxes, clouds, grass, moss, cellphones for snakes to hold, nouns, etc. Games are packed with so many objects that exist just to be looked at these days.

They can probably use another programmer or two, but I think the AAA standard these days is MASSIVE art teams and smaller amounts of programmers.

Seems they just officially announced Dean Wilson. Interesting that he left Rare after working on Sea of Thieves while it's still in development. This Dean guy has the right idea ;)

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:10 pm

New interview: .

◾ Playtonic is not going to simply make a Banjo-Kazooie knockoff.
◾ The collectibles in Yooka-Laylee will be meaningful, including the new Play Tonics that you can equip one or two for "game-changing properties".
◾ They give you more abilities and uncover secrets you wouldn't uncover without them.
◾ The game is also inspired by Donkey Kong Country, such as mine cart sections and retro minigames that can be unlocked in each world.
◾ The main villain is not a witch.
◾ Grant Kirkhope has a lot more to work with now compared to back in the old days, with new technology that lets him do what he likes, making his music "way more vibrant" and "way more interactive".

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Yes, the main villain isn't a witch. But who knows if his/her right-hand woman/man is.

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:47 pm

This interview answered some questions I had which is nice. As for the main villain not being a witch, it doesn't bother me to be honest, I just want him/her to have a distinct personality.
Gruntilda was disgusting and self-centered which is why I really enjoy her in BK, one of my favorite thing was her randomly taunting the player with her crude rhymes while exploring her lair. I hope they can adapt something similar in Yooka-Laylee, it would make the main villain have more presence. That and a LOT of innuendos :lol:
Last edited by Latikos on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the is the main/henchman villain; his shadow looks pretty evil, so I can't imagine him in a friendly role.

I wonder when we'll see the reveal of these characters. I find it surprising that we've seen Trowzer and the Ghost Writers before any of the silhouettes.
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”