How much does the $3M funding impact the game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Gorjo

How much does the $3M funding impact the game?

Postby Gorjo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Looking for new YL videos I found that made me wonder a little.
I have no doubt the team knows what they are doing and are going to deliver, after all they originally asked for less than a tenth part of what it ended up making, but does £2M make that much of a diference when it comes to video game budgets? Or at least, what's the status of the YL project considering its context compared to other games (like the ones done by the team under big companies)? What should our expectations be?
And what can be done about the marketing of the game? Could publicity and notoriety be the kickstarter's biggest contribution in the long run?

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Re: How much does the $3M funding impact the game?

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:35 am

Big Studio games spend a lot of money on marketing (think Doritos and Mountain Dew) and on technology (though Call of Duty makes me wonder.) I think the idea was to raise enough money to keep the project afloat, and the overage makes sure that they can reach their stretch goals and keep supporting the game with free DLC after the fact. I could be wrong though.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:04 pm

They did say that they were making the game regardless of the kickstarter so I'm doubtful it was made to keep it afloat. From the kickstarter it seems like they wanted money to hire more people that they could then have work on the game to make it bigger and better. I assume some money could also go with helping QA among other stuff, but I believe most was hiring people and having money to pay them over the course of the development. Ah but what do I know, ask Playtonic :lol:

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:13 am

3 Mio gives them enough of a budget to pay a staff of ~20 people for 18 months and have some safety net in case development takes longer (assuming ~40% of the money will be used for various expenses like paying Kickstarter its share of the money and producing / sending the Kickstarter rewards, yielding 5000$ / month for the studio workers). It also reduces the finicial risk for the studio owners which is a great thing, because I don't want the people making the game I wish to have to do so having the bad feeling of burning through their savings doing their work.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 am

It didn't take me long to find this.

That was on the original Kickstarter page but whether it's changed now they've got so much money, I don't know.

SanityOrMadness

Postby SanityOrMadness » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:54 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”