Downgraded Wii U version?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rueckkoppler

Downgraded Wii U version?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Hey guys!

I couldn't say that I don't trust the team of Playtonic Games, but I have to mention a concern that started to grow on me over the time: The differences of the console ports, especially the visual quality and performance of the Wii U version.

I know that the team certainly cares about doing this right, what can't be said about the big publishers and their releases on the current home console of Nintendo. But in opposite to that, they have the financial possibilities to ensure a quality port (even if they're not willing to pay that price). I'm afraid that there will be noticeable differences in the Wii U version, like a strong reduction in the visual quality of the port. And I'm not taking about the differences to the PC version, of course. Just compared to the other two home consoles. So what do you think? Is there a way that the Wii U version could be somehow even? I wouldn't care of if we only get a resolution of 720p, since many Nintendo games look still beautiful that way. But a noticeable reduced framerate (with drops) and heavily aliased objects would definitely hinder an enjoyable experience.

Of course, this is highly speculative now, but does anybody understand my concerns? And can somebody whipe them away with some reasonable points, please?
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scrubber

Re: Differences in performance and quality of the Wii U port

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:58 pm

I ordered the Xbox one version just incase the Wii u version doesn't hold up to the others.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53 am

That's a pretty silly thing to be worried about. YookaLaylee isn't some realistic driving sim or high detailed sports game. I'm not expecting a groundbreaking blockbuster to push hardware to it's limits. :roll:

sporeboy100

Postby sporeboy100 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:21 pm

I doubt that they will limit the Wii U port, because generally, indie games are fairly balanced out in terms of graphical and performance details across all consoles that they are on, and Rare and Nintendo were like bread and butter back in the day, which makes it likely they will give tons of love and affectionate for the Wii U version to ensure it stands it's ground with the other consoles and PC, besides, have you seen some of the recent Wii U games? Those look gorgeous for hardware that is much weaker than the other 8th gen systems, and still run in 60FPS, and this is coming from a guy who owns all 3 main systems and a decent gaming rig, though right now, I'm struggling to choose which platform to get the game on.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:52 pm

If the demo we've seen so far is at all close to what we might expect from the final version of the game (and it probably isn't very close), I don't think we'll have to worry about the Wii U version being sub-par when compared to the Xbox One, PS4 or PC versions. It's possible it may be limited to 720p rendering (and upscaled to 1080p output) like many other Wii U games, but honestly, they still look spectacular, and the art style for Yooka-Laylee doesn't appear like it will suffer from being upscaled to 1080p if it does get limited to 720p.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:07 pm

SUPERS0NICBOOM

Postby SUPERS0NICBOOM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:00 pm

You're too slow!

Jawson

Re: Downgraded Wii U version?

Postby Jawson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:14 am

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:57 pm

hopefully this won't be the case. but just in case i will also order the gog version when it becomes available. imma have this on multiple platformers :3

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:42 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 am

The Unity Engine allows the code to be easily compiled to the various consoles. It does absolutely nothing to fix the fact that the WiiU is a "generation behind" in power compared to the already-behind PS4 and XboxOne. It's not a magical engine, it's just a cross-compiling one. The performance of the WiiU version will all come down to how intense the developers plan on making the textures/framerate/resolution/etc. but the WiiU version is absolutely the lowest denominator.
Make the forum great again.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:06 pm

I really don't understand the specs behind all that so I don't really know what the "standard" is, but I don't think Playtonic is going to make super-detailed graphics just for the sake of doing it. :roll:

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 pm

A lot more is involved than just polygons. FPS and resolution are two hot-button topics that are currently getting far more focus. As it stands I'd say the WiiU is getting 720p 30fps even if Playtonic doesn't bump up the detail level.

In b4 "Mario Kart 8 was 60fps 1080p". It was 720p, dips below 59fps, and was developed for a single console, by the company who made that console, in an engine specifically designed to run one type of game and do it well.
Make the forum great again.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:48 am

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:18 am

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:38 am

All this arguing over resolutions and things just seems real trivial to me. :?

I know that PC's will always be more advanced than consoles due to the fact that they're constantly updated.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about if the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee will be way worse in visual quality than compared to the PS4/PC/XBO version. It's not as if Playtonic makes the next Crysis for the PC, then downgrade it for the PS4/XBO version, and then massively downgrade the Wii U version for it even to run. No, I think they will make Yooka-Laylee more or less even in terms of graphics, with small differences here and there depending on which console/PC you play on. Resolution/framerate is a different story, and it's likely the Wii U version will be running at 720p/30fps considering it isn't a very powerful console to begin with (barely outperforming the Xbox 360/PS3).

Worst case scenario; Playtonic will make the Wii U version either horrendous in graphics, or the resolution/framerate get toned down. And you'll have to play Yooka-Laylee on the PS4/PC/XBO if you want a better experience, or wait for Playtonic to make an NX port in the future (if there ever will be one that is).

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Even "horrendous in graphics" can mean one of many things- lower poly models, lesser ground quality, static object draw distance, nonkinematic object draw distance, kinematic object draw distance, particle effects, shadows, water, the list goes on.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Yes, I'm well aware of that fact.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”