Why do you suppose credit names are ASCII only if they're planning on doing full translations for the game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
duckling

Why do you suppose credit names are ASCII only if they're planning on doing full translations for the game?

Postby duckling » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:27 pm

This just struck me as odd.

For instance, they're apparently doing a German translation of the game, so Unicode characters like 'β' may not be uncommon.

Not really much of a problem for me, but I find this odd. No Unicode for 'Special Thanks' when the rest of the game will use it anyway? Maybe the survey form can't accept Unicode?

And on a related subject, do we know if it accepts extended ASCII characters? (ć, ă, etc) It just seems like many non-English backers may not have their names put in the way they're supposed to be.

dance1211

Re: Why do you suppose credit names are ASCII only if they're planning on doing full translations for the game?

Postby dance1211 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Ascii is a subset of unicode. It's a way of limiting characters so it doesn't involve all the weird Unicode characters.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”