The idea was shot down before, But I'm going to go ahead and push it again. Amiibos for Yooka-Laylee.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CHAINMAILLEKID

The idea was shot down before, But I'm going to go ahead and push it again. Amiibos for Yooka-Laylee.

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:00 am

I say that amiibos would be the absolute best option for exclusive content, because its the only type of exclusive content that you don't need to own the hardware for in order to own and enjoy.

We do already have amiibo for other third party characters. Sonic, Mega man, and Pac-man, so clearly there is already some sort of licensing format worked out for amiibo sales and third parties. We don't however have any third party games yet which feature amiibo, so maybe it wouldn't work out, or maybe no third parties have earnestly pursued it. Regardless I still think it would be a great idea.

The one legitimate argument I see against it is exclusive amiibo locked content within the game. But this content is not expected by anybody to be substantial, and nobody will be disappointed if it is not. There are some examples of some games perhaps overreaching on how much content to lock behind amiibos, but the thing to remember is that this content is a decision for the developers. Playtonic would be able to provide amiibo locked content that nobody would have to feel sorry for missing out on on other platforms.

If Yooka-laylee were to get amiibo support on Wii U, we could all be able to get something really cool out of it, regardless of which platform we purchased the game on.

Taylor

Re: The idea was shot down before, But I'm going to go ahead and push it again. Amiibos for Yooka-Laylee.

Postby Taylor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:24 am

Amiibos only work on the Wii U; I don't understand how everybody would benefit from them regardless of the platform they use. I bet you have a Wii U, and I bet you collect Amiibos, so you're being biased. People without the Wii U version would only be getting an overpriced figurine that they can't use to its full potential.

Secondly, I don't think Nintendo will produce Yooka-Laylee Amiibos. Playtonic is a brand new 'indie' studio. Why would Nintendo take the risk of manufacturing and supporting figurines of relatively unknown characters from a relatively unknown studio? It makes no sense whatsoever.

The only potential use for Amiibos in Yooka-Laylee (in my opinion) would be for the Wii U version to support existing Nintendo Amiibos. For example, the Mario Amiibo could unlock a Mario hat or some other aesthetic change. However, I'm not sure if this is possible, let alone worth it in terms of Playtonic's budget.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: The idea was shot down before, But I'm going to go ahead and push it again. Amiibos for Yooka-Laylee.

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:45 am

Everything you said could also apply to making a Yooka Laylee figurine without the Amiibo branding, plus it wouldn't have the side effect of using development time that we're funding to make content on a game that we made happen delivered to us behind a paywall that the vast majority of us won't even be allowed to bypass.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:16 am

There isn't going to be exclusive content.
Can we let the amibo requests die now?

Mendinso

Postby Mendinso » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am

I'm going to agree with everyone here: I doubt there'll be any exclusive content. For one, it wouldn't be fair to the backers who do not own a Wii U (which I'm one of those), as well as it would seem that the company is playing favoritism, which I doubt they want to. Playtonic seems to want everyone to get to experience this game more or less the same way on each console and adding features with Amiibos, such as exclusive content, would defeat the purpose of this.

Seriously, please, let it die. Playtonic isn't a Nintendo owned company, they are an independent studio. They may have roots in Nintendo because most of them are ex-Rare employees, yes, but doesn't mean they are obligated to make exclusive content because of the history with the company.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:16 am

I thought they said they want to make a Yooka and Laylee amiibo... In any case, amiiboes are a unique part of a game being on the Wii U. Saying they can't use that feature becuz "it's not fair" is as dumb as saying they can't use the touch screen or motion controls or the gamepad screen if they think it will enhance the game. They could maybe even do something similar by supporting the use of the PS Vita as a controller for the PS4 (if that's a thing). So don't tell them to not try to make it the best game possible for each platform. I don't want to see downgrades becuz it hurts your feelings when someone else has a better version than you. Next you're going to be saying to lock the graphics of the PC, xBox, and PS4 versions at Wii U levels so everything is fair and even-Steven between all versions...

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 am

Why do ****s insist on diverting the limited crowdsourcing funds for fledgling companies from principle developement to trinkets all the time??? The lack of forsight is staggering!

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:28 am

If their negotiations go (went?) well, then Nintendo would be producing the amiiboes, I'm sure. No one (hopefully) wants Playtonic Games to attempt production of amiiboes themselves.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:37 am

Here's how it works in real life:

Hypothetical YL Amiibos are created. Scalpers buy them all. Then fans like you and me go on eBay and see they're $100. Nobody gets Amiibos, everybody cries.

**** Amiibos.
Make the forum great again.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm

you kuh lady

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:13 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:12 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:12 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 am

On a dying console people want special favors.
It is the Nintendo love that is keeping this game from being the best it can be.
Graphically.
The wii is inferior in horsepower.
Ram. Not enough.
Memory. No.

People with upgraded consoles expect something huge but we are tethered by a baby system that cannot run Pac-Man.
I purport that since Platonic even deigns to listen to you at all is simply a kind gesture to you guys.

Honestly. If this game did not include Wii U it would be a bigger and better game. Us people are being held back from an incredible game to just an okay game.

The crappy Wii is the baseline for graphics. Ram. Rom. Memory. Etc.

The Wii is the reason that this game will be ahem. Instead of OMG.

Amiibos equals special favors on a dying system that is technically holding the Dev's back from providing a quality product.

No thank you.

If you were truly Rare fans. You would have bought cross platform over the years.

Tldr: Platonic is making sure to include Wii U. Even though Wii U is weak.
People with Wii U are especially needy. The higher horsepower systems will suffer for your neediness. If you were fans you would have followed them with cash.
Yooka Laylee will not be what it could be due to the inferior hardware of the Wii.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:20 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”