Team17 Partnership

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
SaffronRose

Team17 Partnership

Postby SaffronRose » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 am

Playtonic just announced that they had formed a partnetship with Team17 in their development on Yooka-Laylee. What do you guys think?

"Dear backers, friends and people who misspelled ‘platonic’ in Google search,
Playtonic was founded because our team wanted to create the kind of games we used to, in the way that we used to; in a small, collaborative team in an environment that breeds creativity. We believed these philosophies appealed not only to us, but also to you, the fans – and through your incredible support of our Kickstarter you proved that we were at least half-right.
Today we’re heads down, full of caffeine (and cake), totally focussed on delivering a game that lives up to your expectations and ticks every one of our Kickstarter promises. A quick look over my shoulder and I can see animations, characters, sprawling levels and new gameplay features flying in to the latest build… the pent-up passion from the whole team for this game is unstoppable, and we can’t wait to show you more of Yooka-Laylee in the future.
In order for the Playtonic team to continue concentrating 100% on delivering the best game possible, we’re excited to announce that we’ve partnered with independent games label Team17, who will handle the long list of support tasks we need as an independent developer.
From the start we said we’d welcome a partner that could genuinely improve the creation of Yooka-Laylee, but only if that relationship maintained our core principles and independence. Team 17 impressed us from day one with both its passion for the game (in fact, a lot of their staff are backers!) and its vast experience of collaborating with indie devs.
To clarify, this isn’t a traditional publisher deal: Team 17 understands what we want to achieve as a studio and has created a unique partnership with us. Team 17 will improve Yooka-Laylee in a myriad of ways, not least in expanded localisation (more languages!), QA testing, certification and store management - Basically, all the stuff that game creators don’t want to worry about.
Playtonic remains completely independent and owns everything we do - thanks to you - and we’re really, really proud to be able to say that our game is 100% funded via Kickstarter.
The whole team are chuffed to bits to have Team 17’s support. It’s taken lots of non-game dev pressure off our ageing, clicking shoulders (not a joke sadly) while Team 17 uses its expertise in other areas, including the various business necessities that indie studios traditionally struggle with. Because let’s be honest; nobody wants Kev Bayliss searching for bugs all day, or Grant Kirkhope attempting to translate a joke into Portuguese – you want them focussed on creating a great game.
With the resources and expertise of a great partner behind us, we’re now more confident than ever that we can deliver Yooka-Laylee to backers and new fans alike on time and in the best possible shape it can be. If you have any questions about the announcement feel free to contact us on Twitter or via the forums – and thanks again for your support.
Gavin Price & The entire (still growing) Playtonic Team"
Yooka-Laylee DeviantArt group -

Rasmusic

Re: Team17 Partnership

Postby Rasmusic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am

It's definitely nice that they can focus on Yooka-Laylee :D
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 am

omg some news quick everyone talk about it!

I... think it's a great move.
Make the forum great again.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 am

This must be a huge load off the developers' minds - developing a greatly anticipated game must be a lot less stressful when a lot of the hurdles of publishing are being handled externally.

Once Yooka-Laylee is out, maybe Playtonic will expand further to handle such things? Who knows...

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:53 am

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I know she didn't say that. What I meant by that remark was that Team 17 has the capability to publish a physical retail release of Yooka-Laylee.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes!
I'm excited that not only now they have a capable partner, but now realistically can get the game in stores.
Congratulations Playtonic!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

That's a huge leap that you shouldn't be taking yet. Especially since Gavin is still saying he has no plans to make a physical copy. Don't take "maybe probably not" as "yes".

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:18 pm

you kuh lady

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:22 pm

I hope Team 17 will ensure a retail release. Basically this is all I'm worried about wrt this game.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 pm

For now they're strictly for localization and testing the game. Don't get your hopes up for anything more.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:00 pm

As long as they don't touch the game that's fine. Worms revolution was so buggy and they were awful at putting their wrongs right. I don't trust them after that game.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Hmm.

Am I wrong? ;)

Btw, who is this Team 17? And what games are they responsible for publishing?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:03 pm

ಠ_ಠ

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 pm

At first I was extremely upset, thinking they could made mediocre content for the game.

Then I started reading the article and saw the jobs they were given, and was relieved that almost all of them required time, not creativity. The sole exception was QA, which worried me a little before looking up their track record.

Then I looked into it and saw they worked on the Worms series, which is far from buggy. We're in good hands.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Actually their track record for the past 5-10 years is not so great. Including buggy products and locking features behind DLC pay walls. Team 17 hasn't really done anything decent themselves since about Worms Armageddon.

I'm not worried either though, because they're being paid to test for bugs which is something an untrained middle school student can do.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm happy for this. The sarcasm, not at all.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”