Box art discussion

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
rocho

Box art discussion

Postby rocho » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 am

Since we need some kind of topic to spend some time while the Back Together Boys work on the game...

If there was one, how would you like the box art of Yooka-Laylee to be?

Do you like the dummy box they showed at the kickstarter page?

Do you have a render, drawing or sketch with your idea?

Or even if you just want to discuss the art style they could use (some examples above) let us know!

Let's kill some time will ya!

Lienk

Re: Box art discussion

Postby Lienk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:03 am

I really like this one. It has a bright green and purple with a softer, pastel coloured background. I think it is their most iconic piece of art at the moment and looks really good.

I also hope the Playtonic logo is included on the box. For some reason often only the publisher's logo is shown nowadays and the developer's one is left out. This is the case for example with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Not even a mention of Retro Studios on the back), Yoshi's Woolly World (Good-Feel) and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (although a small Sora logo is on the back). Not sure what the criteria is. Nonetheless I think it's a shame and the development team should always be recognized.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:14 pm

^That would be a perfect box art, unless they want to put the main villain on it.
Though I believe they are aiming for an E10+ rating, which I think is 7 in Europe.
We might need more actual information on the game to know what a box art would be.

rocho

Postby rocho » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:40 pm

I like that artwork too.

I just wish it had a little bit more action in it, you can see what I mean from the first picture, excluding banjo-tooie, al the other GAMES have an action scene either running or moving pretty fast from or towards something.

And I'm not sure if that artwork is digitally hand drawn. If it is, it looks VERY polished. I would like to see a CGI version just to keep up with the tradition. ;)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:33 pm

rocho

Postby rocho » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm

Yeah i don't dislike Banjo-tooie boxart but as you said maybe they went that route because it was a more established IP.

I think that as long as the game is amazing it has a high chance that the boxart has more assets to be worked on an amazing way.

If there is one anyway.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”