The species of Yooka and Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
JudasCobra

The species of Yooka and Laylee

Postby JudasCobra » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Greetings Rareware/PlayTonic fans!

Today I am here to bring up a very important matter:
Upon watching the Beta64 interview with the members of PlayTonic on YouTube, I significantly recall hearing about how they were looking for specific animal species to name Yooka and Laylee. Just as Banjo was a Brown Honey-Bear, and Kazooie a Red-Crested Breegull, they would like to implement this little detail into the upcoming 3-D Platformer Heroes, which of course adds that "Rareware Flair" we all know and love. So I am here to suggest my ideas for the species of Yooka and Laylee.

For Yooka, it was difficult for me to find a chameleon species that would fit the specific characteristics of Yooka, especially due to that unique crest on the back of his head. However, through my knowledge of Herpetology, I found my personal choice for Yooka: A Flap Neck Chameleon.
(see pic here http://www.thinkreptiles.com/lizards/pr ... meleon.jpg)

As for Laylee, I have selected the Egyptian Rousette Bat. Since I cannot find a suitable species with a nose as unique as hers, I needed to find something as appropriate as possible. Heck, you could make it part of Laylee's back story, saying she is originally from Egypt. Also PlayTonic, could you give her eyelashes to make her look more feminine? She looks more like a boy to me.
(see pic here http://fineartamerica.com/featured/2-eg ... sions.html)

Anyways, what do you guys think? Were my choices good or bad? What species do YOU think they are?
PSI Snakes Ω!

Taylor

Re: The species of Yooka and Laylee

Postby Taylor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:03 am

Interesting idea. :)

I don't think they have a real world equivalent; they are fictional animals based on chameleons and bats. Kazooie was a 'Breegull', for example, which doesn't exist in the real world.

With that in mind, I'd suggest something like...

Yooka: Red-Crested Chameleon
Laylee: Clown-Snout Fruit Bat
Taylonic Ltd.

rocho

Postby rocho » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:02 am

I like to think Laylee is similar to an Honduran white bat (more like an Honduran purple bat) with long ears.

But yeah I do think firstly of them as fictional characters because there might be stuff that doesnt make sense like a bat swimming and a chameleon with straight eyes hahaha

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Huh. Interesting ideas.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:58 pm

I had to look up Honduran White Bat to make sure it was real (as that one seems to be a crafted item) and holy heck that thing is so very adorable. It's just puff! With a nose and wings! So cute!! If Laylee could be this, I would be so happy.

It's got such an adorably big nose too. Oh gosh.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:16 pm

They'll likely just invent a funny-sounding species.

A crimson-topped dwarf chameleon with an onion-conked fruit bat, for example.

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:43 am

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Wow, I had no idea that the white Honduran bat existed until now -- looks awesome! That alone makes today's forum visit completely worthwhile for me.

rocho

Postby rocho » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:34 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”