So, the Toybox/Toybox++

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
GrayMagicΓ

Re: So, the Toybox/Toybox++

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm glad they're staying quiet; the less they reveal, the less scrapped content for people to complain about.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:58 pm

They gotta watch out though, didn't the MN9 demo get datamined, spoiling a lot?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 am

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:06 am

The best thing is: Andy gave us a sign!

They try to follow the plan and gave us that experience before end of the year. :)
I´m still really hyped, but to be honest it is much better with less information and less spoiler.

I´t not, that they gave us nothing. We still have a few really nice Screenshots, Videos, Artworks

Speaking of it:

Characters, gameplay mechanics, music samples from Grant and information about levels and the game itself.

And we know, that the current build of the game ist much MUCH more than that, what we´ve seen.

I´m really happy with all of that and more will come, when playtonic decides it´s time for that.
Meanwhile we have to be patient.

They ARE working on it, even we didn´t see it.
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:11 pm

I didn't read much of the thread, though I do know Andy responded to it. He didn't mention anything about recording and uploading gameplay videos, so I'm wondering if we can record and upload gameplay of the toybox/toybox++ for people who don't have them?

I was thinking about doing that and giving some sort of analyse on the game so far (mainly controls), and probably making a separate video for anything that is new (moves, enemies, etc.) and hasn't been seen through interviews and news articles (which may be impossible if the whole play area is new).
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:01 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:25 am

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 pm

There are still copyright laws in place. Nintendo for example has demonstrated that people who buy a game do not have the legal right to upload gameplay videos. Only Nintendo that I know of has been ballsy, or ignorant, enough to piss off their fans by DMCA'ing those videos.

Will Playtonic do that? Most likely not, given how much they appreciate the fans and feature fan art and such.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:23 pm

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... s-on-them/

Seems I was wrong about Nintendo purposefully taking off videos. (Though a recent example game to light on reddit about a user who recorded ROM gameplay having his videos removed; I can understand that bit.) But they did submit their content to be in the YT Content ID system.

At this point they just claim copyright on the videos and take some or all of the ad revenue. In fact, it seems my Mario Kart 8 videos have forced ads on them from Nintendo, and I don't think I get any of that revenue in that situation. (Not like I get viewers for those videos anyhow.)

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:16 am

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 am

But it's not just Google's decision. It was Nintendo's as well. Google is not going to see Yooka-Laylee vids and decide "This is Playtonic's copyrighted material! We'll force them to put advertisements on there and then ship 50-100% of the revenue to Playtonic, they'll appreciate that."

Regardless, has it actually been put through the courts if it's legal to record gameplay? I remember Twitch was at one point going through a large legal fiasco with a lot of gray area in the law. I believe that whatever was done to keep Twitch up was merely an out-of-court settlement with copyrights holders. This issue was separate from the music that streamers were using in the broadcasts and loomed even before that ordeal.

Personally, I see it all under fair use. But of course, like with the example I mentioned at the end there with music, it can well be similarly argued in the case of video games. At the very least, you can argue those soundtracks are copyrighted and it could be a copyrights violation to publish those in a recording. (You can avoid that hassle by just muting the audio or including no gameplay sounds and leaving commentary.)

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 am

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 pm

churai

Postby churai » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:04 am

First quarter is coming to a close soon (already).

Anyone heard anything about this demo yet? If this is being released in October then this is around half way through the project.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 am

Current status is, they're working hard on the game and they're still planning to release the demo months ahead of the final game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”