The Possible Return of Interconnected Worlds?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Kyle8497

The Possible Return of Interconnected Worlds?

Postby Kyle8497 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Hey, fellow YL and BK fans!

One thing, out of many things, that I found fascinating in BT was that most worlds, if not all of them, had one or two ways they would be interconnected. Interconnected worlds just made the levels feel more authentic, provided fast travel between locations, and that they would typically involve some puzzle/challenge or reward! Sometimes, you were even teased at a world far ahead in the game. Especially in BT, the eerie-ness of the waste disposal plant in Jolly Roger's Lagoon where you could see Grunty Industries!

Is anyone else looking forward to the possibility of this returning? Interconnected worlds were always super cool to me as a kid, that they could do something that. I really hope they return!

Rueckkoppler

Re: The Possible Return of Interconnected Worlds?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm agreeing to everything you've said. Amongst pretty much everything of Banjo-Tooie, this was a thing I loved as well. It loved the "teasing" they did with such connections between the worlds. Going from Mayahem Temple over Terrydactyl Land's Uga Buga (or whatever they were called) cave in order to steal that golden statue was so great! I was wondering what strange place that was and why there were cavemen, till I finally discovered the dinosaur land (many, many) worlds later. :mrgreen:

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:32 pm

I had a rant on backtracking . Interconnected worlds are great, and that's coming from someone who normally hates backtracking.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 pm

I think interconnected worlds can be fascinating in just giving a sense of this being a coherent universe. But I do not think I would be a fan of having to go back and forth between levels constantly just to get some jiggies. Maybe 1 per level that requires backtracking would be fine, but I don't know exactly how many there were in Tooie that required backtracking.

Now, I will say that I doubt there will be interconnected worlds in Yooka Laylee based on the premise of using story books to collect pagies. Unless there is some way to explain how you can travel between books, within the books, I don't think it's going to happen.

I can understand casual events between books. Say you're in Book A, and you get a few pagies to unlock Book B. That's cool. There's this high up indent in a cliff that you can't reach in Book B. Kind of weird, yeah? Well, to get there, you actually have to go to Book A and have a seed planted in Book A. Some NPC or just the hole you put the seed in spits out a Pagie. You return to Book B and wham! There's a tree.

Kind of complicates the collectathon though with some plot holes such as using those pagies you collected after unlocking Book B to unlock Book C - why would it have made a difference in B? But maybe we resolve that by making special Book-specific pagies, or we just ignore it, given the fact that we assume the pagies are preprinted and clearly would in the real world fit into a specific book anyway. They're magical pagies, like how Jiggies would conveniently work for any jigsaw puzzle.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Kyle8497

Postby Kyle8497 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:24 am

Oh, I didn't know the worlds were split into separate books. They had me thinking it was just one singular book. Interconnected worlds wouldn't make sense at all, then.
Last edited by Kyle8497 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Eh, it's a video game. I bet they could tie in interconnected worlds still. Maybe the books are all a series that exist together in a parallel universe.
Make the forum great again.

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:30 pm

I love the concept of interconnected worlds, but there's never been a game with the right amount of it.
B-T had too much, most other games - not enough.

Pearcinator

Postby Pearcinator » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 am

This is why I PREFER Banjo-Tooie to Kazooie. The world felt authentic and connected.

Whereas Banjo-Kazooie had independent levels that were completely separate from the hub world as well as other levels (which is fine); I enjoyed the little teases into future levels (and re-visiting previous levels too). Even in the first level you go through a doorway and steal something BACK from a cavemen in Terrydactyland. You visit the 5th level even though you only just started the game.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Never played BT to compare.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:54 pm

1 or 2, but please.. NOT MORE THAN THAT!

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:14 pm

This was my favorite aspect to BT! I loved how they connected and some aspect of one world was needed to complete something in another. Would definitely love to see this return in some capacity!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”