Toybox(++)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Re: Toybox(++)

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:51 pm

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I am sooo glad Andy finally spoke to us.

Also Xellos, what's that timer for? I'm curious.

EDIT: Sorry. I was disconnected for three days straight. Good thing I looked at Andy R's post. I was almost gonna lose it.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:13 am

I suppose I can pass this time by reading a book, or something.

This thread itself is an interesting read. Some of you seem to be getting a bit panicky. Indeed if you look at other KS projects there's precedent for this game taking an upwards of a great deal of time longer than promised.

I think part of what sets Playtonkc apart is that many of these devs have 10 or 20+ years experience. These guys understand the creative processes and workflow invoked in making this sort of game.

Additionally, there's the sizable team, the publisher helping with boring stuff/ Q&A. Also when they complete a new area, they get to listen to a new Wise or Kirkhope tune :lol:

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Well I'll just throw a bunch of thoughts based on the last 3-4 pages of the thread.

Re: The timing of the Toybox release intention - "Months ahead" of the final release seems to defeat the point a little and seems counter to what we were told we'd get. Edit: After going back and looking at the original campaign page itself, it seems perhaps that our interpretation of what the Toybox was going to be doesn't match the words on the page. The page doesn't say much more than "demo", whereas some of us (myself included) seem to have interpreted it as more of a testing ground. I still want muh demo, but the timing is suddenly less relevant...

Re: A possible delay of the final game - Edit: I personally expect and am fine with a delay, but it's neat to hear from someone on the team that they project an on-time release for now.

I don't want anything to be rushed either - "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" - Shigeru Miyamoto. But I would really like to see

Some real communication about the state of development -
It seems like more communication on that front is better than less. And I mean a boring business-y numbers update, not spoilers/teases that are giving away content.
* How many stages are finished, prototyped, brainstormed, or haven't been started?
Edit: , I found they are starting the concept art for the last stage now. This also implies the previous stages have at least finished their concept stages.
* Are mechanics nailed down (despite no Toybox)?
* What's the completion level of the script? What percentage of characters are fleshed out?
* Someone mentioned this is about halfway through the project, does development reflect that?
Edit: If that means October 2016 or December 31st 2016 doesn't really make a difference to me. I also see Grant does regular updates, and he just mentioned he's starting the overall theme for the villain's lair, which would suggest there are some regions to the villain's lair at least prototyped.

I'm a broken record by now because they of course don't owe us any of this, but it's all nice to know.

Also one last problem I keep seeing...

None of us BOUGHT anything. Kickstarter is NOT a purchase.

When you donated to the Kickstarter you made what literally equates to a non-tax-beneficial donation. It's not even an investment because an investment expects returns. It's possible for a successfully Kickstarted project to just pack up and quit. It's happened to my donation to the Unsung Story project, that money's gone and I'm not getting anything for it. I don't think that will happen here of course, but remember Kickstarter is NOT a purchase.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Always good to see an official reply, thanks Andy.

I'm happy to hear the final release is still late 2016 (although I anticipate early/mid 2017). Good to know the final game is taking precedence over the toybox -- I was worried too much time was going into the side project, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If the toybox is still planned for 'early 2016', I wonder which months that covers in Andy's eyes. I would say no later than May 1st, which is one year after the Kickstarter went live. Nice anniversary gift perhaps?
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I would say absolutely no later than July 2nd, because that marks the center of the year :lol:

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:11 am

So the game it's self is still being released this year?
While that sounds exciting, I also think it's a bit too soon.. Didn't they just started the game somewhere early 2015?
What about the extra feedback given too?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:38 am

xDiamond

Postby xDiamond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks Andy for the reply. I left a questioning post earlier, but all I was looking for was what you said. Appreciate it!

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Preston

Postby Preston » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:01 am

Playtonic don't want to release a shoddy game. If Yooka-Laylee is panned by critics and fans, it jeopardises their entire company and puts all the staff in a terrible position, especially the ones that left their previous, stable jobs.

So, purely from a business perspective, you can bet Playtonic are going to do all they can to make Yooka-Laylee a fantastic game. But also on a sincere level, I feel Playtonic is made up of a bunch of truly passionate, talented and experienced people; they genuinely want to create something they and we love.
Taylonic Ltd.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 am

Banjo Tooie also used some left out stuff though.. but I see.
I should probably watch the interview sometime.

For all 3, I mainly understand now. Thanks for the info! ;)

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:09 am

So, I think we're FINALLY going to get the Toybox somewhere next month, 'cause Playtonic stated via Twitter that a lot of updates are coming next month.
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Although I'm not happy about this HUGE delay, I still love old rare, uuuhh... I mean Playtonic and I can't wait for the game to be released! :D

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:24 pm

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:34 pm

"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”