New Character revealed: Rextro SixtyFourus

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
karashata

New Character revealed: Rextro SixtyFourus

Postby karashata » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:19 pm

So Playtonic Games revealed a new character via IGN today called Rextro SixtyFourus.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/11/11/y ... -ign-first

He's a rather noticeably polygonal dinosaur character with a scanline overlay on him for even more retro effect, and his role will be guardian of the various arcade machines found in each world. Completing an arcade machine's challenge will be required to receive a Pagie.

What are everyone's thoughts?

DWard14

Re: New Character revealed: Rextro SixtyFourus

Postby DWard14 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=403&p=23256&hilit=throwback#p23256 On this page I suggested a 64 bit throwback world with a prehistoric theme. A: Wow, was I accurate! B: This adds evidence to the possibility of this world. Do you think that we might actually have this world in game?

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:46 pm

There is no throwback world confirmed.

Haven't you read the article? He is the gatekeeper of the Arcade Machines...

rocho

Postby rocho » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 pm

I love the design! Easily one of my favorite characters so far.

The old TV look fits amazingly well.

Just imagine the music in the arcades! As it seems there will be at least one per world!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm curious about the arcade machine games. Donkey Kong 64 had clear reason to use original Donkey Kong. But what will Playtonic use? Miniature ripoffs (I don't know a better word that isn't as connotatively negative) of classic games, or simply Playtonic's own minigames with original ideas. And in either case, are we looking at 64-bit minigames, or are we going back to old school 8-bit; or a compromise of a 16 or 32 bit game, or a mix of it all?

I'm worried about how jarring Rextro will be in the overworld, but I trust Playtonic to be implementing this idea because they think it's beneficial and isn't an unnatural fit in the game; I don't think they would force an idea in for nostalgia's sake.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 pm

Rex looks great!
Just wondering if he will look odd with the HD models around him.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Does anyone have a mirror for the video? IGN just has far too many scripts for me to want to gamble on which one is an adnetwork (like the ziff stuff) and which will met play their video - if they even have HTML5 video.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:27 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:23 am

Awesome. Love updates. :)

I think it was said in an interview that the arcade games are not going to be 8-bit retro knockoffs, but rather inspired by classics. E.g. Yooka-Laylee might turn into a tank and drive around the 3D world shooting various targets.

Don't quote me on that, but that's roughly what I remember being said. I'm actually going to try and find the source and will update this post if I come across it.
Taylonic Ltd.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:21 am

Just awesome !!!!! :D I really like the design of the new character and also the pun and reason why his name is Rextro Sixtyfourus. :lol:

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 am

Yh the masters of naming are making this game. You realize because these guys set new standards.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:52 am

I couldn't find the source referred to in my last post, but I just wanted to add that it seems likely you'll have to 'spend' the Playtonic coins you collect to play the arcade machines.
Taylonic Ltd.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:50 am

He looks adorable! Of course the scanlines are a nice touch, as is the flat lighting that reflects off his very blocky appearance. He reminds me of the Cheesasaurus Rex from the Macaroni commercials! I personally adore that, because several Banjo NPCs fit that sort of knock-off aesthetic as they maintained their rich personalities.

Mario Party-style mini games or 8-bit throwbacks (with references to their 64 classics) sounds the most plausible in regards to arcade content. I can't wait for more info.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Make the forum great again.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:59 pm

I absolutely love this character! I love all the detail they put into making Rextro look like he belongs in a bygone era of gaming and the interlaced lines on him help seal that. Looking at the early concept art of him I would have loved for them to have kept the tie as a reference to DK, but the Playtonic coin also makes more sense in the context of this universe.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Aight, haven't been around on the forums for months, but I saw Rextro Sixtyfourus and had to see what y'all were saying about it. I could be playing Fallout 4 right now, and I'm here commenting, so this is serious!! Ha

Love him. He could fit so easily into any one of their old platformers. Just copy and paste him into Terrydactyland, or as a baddie in DK64.

As far as him confirming a throwback world, uh...only if you consider arcade machines a throwback "world"...?
you kuh lady

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm really looking forward to finding/unlocking the arcade machines, so this update makes me especially happy.

If I understand correctly, the game will have a filter so it looks like a N64 game. Maybe this character will blend in better in that mode?

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Very fond of this one and the character specific scan line effect

Zita

Postby Zita » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:59 pm

I ducking love this character, the character design and the whole idea behind it with the retro look and all is just genious! Absolutely great!

What I'm wondering though: He's wearing one of the Playtonic-Coins around his neck. We saw those as collectables from the demo they showed us, but as far as I remember they said those coins were only meant to be placeholder collectables. Does that mean once they switch them out for others, they will switch Rextros necklace, too?

| | |

karashata

Postby karashata » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:00 pm

If I had to guess, it could mean they've decided the Play Tokens (as they're calling them now) will be the note equivalent for the game after all, rather than a placeholder for something else.

I mean, they used them for all the pre-alpha footage and probably scattered them about the levels they've been working on since then, they probably got attached to them, and honestly, they do look pretty nice for a somewhat generic collectible scattered around throughout the levels in the game.

What sort of explanation they'll come up with them in-game, I can't being to imagine, but as Taylor suggested, it's possible they might be used in conjunction with the arcade machines in each world.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”