The game's general reception in the modern gaming culture

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
MazLad

The game's general reception in the modern gaming culture

Postby MazLad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:20 am

It's been quite a long time since Banjo-Kazooie... Personally I'm looking forward to going into Yooka-Laylee like it's 1999!, without any pre-knowledge of the game's worlds, it's story and puzzles. Not keen to have aspects of the game spoiled is partly the intention but the main reason for this approach is I want to strictly avoid walkthroughs, spending time to work out any puzzles myself so I don't absolutely rinse through it.

I'm a little worried about how a game like this could be received generally in the modern gaming climate due to a noticable lean towards completionist / perfectionist / start to finish walkthrough followers. The way that gamers can instantly get an answer to a puzzle online and at times a little reliance on it could unfairly damage how this game's received.

I can kind of see it already, a content rich game with puzzle elements which can be run through quite quickly if following an online guide, collecting all the collectables etc, resulting in a general non-critic view that the game may be 'too short' or 'too easy'.

Does this kind of thing worry anyone else a bit? Like I say I'll look to enjoy the game the old fashioned way but if the game isn't well received by users for reasons such as this, it could impact whether we see sequels from Playtonic or even a mini revival of the genre generally.

How about a kind of launch screen note, not a disclaimer as such, but something to say the game is intended to be played without the answers on a plate, kind of a 'best way to experience the game' or something? As you have probably noticed I'm not the best at wording things, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I might be absolutely miles off with the general view on the forum here, so am keen to hear what people's views on this are. You know it's kind of like I'm expecting a 'critics get it, but the gamers didn't' thing?

Please don't think I'm writing this as a 'I'm a proper gamer and the COD masses are idiots' kind of thing, because that absolutely is not my intention. In truth I edge a bit towards walkthroughs myself for some games, (particularly buggy messes like FO4), so I'm borderline part of the problem I refer to!

Is it a legitimate concern do you think, particularly with the hype surrounding the game?
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

GrayMagicΓ

Re: The game's general reception in the modern gaming culture

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:53 am

I don't see it being an issue with the game's overall popularity, BK and BT had Nintendo Power guides that were published and popular when they initially launched, I do see the difference, though- walkthroughs are viewable on all the devices the game is playable on. I rarely cheat and check a guide with older games that I'm not emulating, even though I have a phone in my pocket. With modern games and even games I'm emulating officially (virtual console, etc) or otherwise it's always a temptation though, and one I sometimes wish I don't give in to. I wouldn't say this will hurt the game, though- on a personal level, my favorite game of all time has a sequence of events that's almost impossible to guess on your own (I've never met someone that has) that triggers an amazing bonus level and a game-breaking weapon that the level is near-impossible without, and from a more objective standpoint (though on a topic so heavily rooted in speculation, I don't think there really is a truly objective answer) the FNAF fanbase goes crazy over absurd easter eggs and secrets that are as well hidden (if not moreso) and walkthrough-inducing as Cave Story's one.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

mickeythelegend

Re: The game's general reception in the modern gaming culture

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm

I am hoping that Yooka-Laylee is the start (or a re-start) of an era. I wasn't finished playing 3D Platformers, of the typical N64 style game. I was fairly disappointed when Rare left Nintendo platforms, and after I bought an Xbox 360 mainly for Rare games, I was waiting on something that wouldn't ever really materialise. Hopefully now is that time. The Banjo and Conker seen in the original Xbox adverts is how I imagined the world would move on, but it wasn't to be. Let's hope we can get back to that point and that the saturation of copy and paste titles in the form of FPS especially, is about to change for the better.
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”