Which classic Rare world themes are 'essential'?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Meinhard1

Which classic Rare world themes are 'essential'?

Postby Meinhard1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:33 am

A holiday / snow level has been confirmed -- something most of us likely wanted.

There are a few other common Rare platformer trophs, though. I'm curious what you consider 'essential'

A short list of iconically Rare locales:

Pirate: Treasure Trove Cove, Jolly Rogers Lagoon; much of DKC 2
Industrial: Rusty Bucket Bay, Grunty Industries; lots of factories in their DK games
Theme Park: Witchyworld; Krazy Kremland
Mine: Glitter Gulch; every DKC game / DK64

Haunted/Halloween: Too common of a platformer theme to be 'iconic Rare' but Mad Monster Mansion is a BK favorite, for sure.

Anything I should add? (Lava/desert don't seem very Rare-specific, maybe Ruins/Aztec...)

Personally, I'm expecting to see pirate and 'haunted house' themed content in YL... whether as a world theme, or locations within a world.
Also something industrial would be nice -- I find rusty/smoggy locales charmingly unlovely.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Which classic Rare world themes are 'essential'?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 am

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:52 am

Right! Having driven by or visited rusty shipyards, industrial parks with looming smokestacks, old iron mines ... there's certainly this odd charm/awe there. Bright of the old Rare devs to include them and think children would like it -- I certainly did.

(These themes also inspired some pretty creative works by Kirkhope and Wise!)

I've read Tim Stamper had a special affiliation for nautical settings (Greg Males too, I think). No surprise many Rare games would have a sailor, pirate, or two. Even Banjo was once the pirate-themed 'Dream.'

We'll have to see what motifs pop up in Playtoncs' work, I guess!

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Tree.
Click Clock Wood and Fungi Forest are the best worlds (opinion) in their respective games. <3

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Jungle Japes, Frantic Factory, Gloomy Galleon, Spiral Mountain.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:20 pm

For the levels that I wish Playtonic could put in Yooka-Laylee, I'm gonna be given examples through the game various video games:

1. An beach/underwater level and .

2. A volcanic environment: and .

3. A winter wonderland: .
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 am

We may be getting a beach area as David Wise's "Jungle Challenge" is stated as being for the "jungle / beach" area. So it may be a jungle with a beachy shore line, like DK Island.

Rare does do a good forest level -- they'll often feature either naturalistic or fantasy elements.
Can't say I have much recollection of their lava worlds, aside from those in DKC 2. Nintendo's done some fun lava environments, for sure.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 pm

The last levels in BK and BT were always the most magical to me. CCW and CCL had their own unique charm. I hope we get an awesome and interesting final level, though I can't quite think of a specific theme other than 'awesome'.
Taylonic Ltd.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 am

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 am

"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 am

I think a fairground would make an interesting final level, although it's been done before in Rocket: Robot on Wheels. I loved the atmosphere of Witchy World and the music is great, so I really want to hear what else Grant could come up with in a similar carnival theme.
Taylonic Ltd.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 pm

In my opinion they should make new themes, because everything they do will still have this magic touch from rare so it would be much better if they would do some new themes but still with some things from the past, a rundown b-movie cinema or a rundown hotel instead of a industrial building or ancient greek instead of ancient mayan/egypt. Each world should have their own personal theme instead of again egypt, again mayan and so on.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Crash Bandicoot have egypt worlds, spyro have egypt worlds, mario 64 and so on. I want to see something new and that is what I really enjoyed with banjo-kazooie, tooie each world was different and felt like its own little universe and even the gex series created their own unique themes like a world about fairytales, a world based on anime and mangas and even a world based on classic kung fu movies :lol: So I really want this happen to Yooka-Laylee :D

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Horror and forest themed worlds. These two are what I consider to be the most essential themed levels in the classic Rareware games. I also wouldn't mind a world that combines the two themes in the form of a haunted forest level in Yooka-Laylee. It would be great if both of them were included in the game.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

mickeythelegend

Postby mickeythelegend » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:05 pm

It will likely be similar to other games, but that's no bad thing. The level design is awesome in those games. I can't think of any Rare levels that I didn't really enjoy to be honest.
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:59 pm

I would love to see a pirate-themed world, but due to Sea of Thieves being developed at the same time I guess we won't see that.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:18 pm

No worlds are essential. I want them to innovate not rehash.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”