Will Yooka-Laylee be AMD compatible?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Will Yooka-Laylee be AMD compatible?

Postby John Enigma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:45 pm

I know what you guys are probably thinking, and that is that we still don't know what the minimum/recommended tech specs of the game will have. I ask this because it seems that nowadays, a lot of PC games seem to be relying too much on the Intel processor.

Something that everyone should know is that not a lot of people have PC's that have the Intel processor. They also don't have the money to buy an Intel-powered computer. Nor do I. I've always used AMD-powered computers, but sometimes I wish I had an Intel-powered one instead.

So I ask this, as a fellow user that has an AMD-powered Gateway desktop computer: do you guys think that the Yooka-Laylee video game will be AMD compatible, and not just Intel?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

duckling

Re: Will Yooka-Laylee be AMD compatible?

Postby duckling » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Yes.

AMD and Intel processors use the same instruction set, ignoring a few exclusive features that rarely see the light of day.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Last edited by John Enigma on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 pm

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:20 pm

It's worth noting that a lot of PC games these days are more dependent on GPU power than CPU power, it's usually recommended when trying to build a budget PC aimed at gaming to get a cheaper, somewhat less powerful CPU and a good GPU than to get a more powerful CPU and a less powerful GPU. It's probably safe to say, if you've bought a new PC within the last five years you're probably fine CPU-wise, and shouldn't have any issues with the game unless you don't have a decent dedicated GPU (though integrated graphics on modern CPUs aren't terrible these days, they're still not great for serious PC gaming if you want to play games at higher graphical settings and resolutions). Heck, could probably go a bit older still CPU-wise and not be too bad off, I haven't kept on top of CPU technology improvements much lately...

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 pm

What about CPU-GPU combination chips, like an AMD APU, or an Intel Sky Lake? Do PC's still rely on those?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 pm

duckling

Postby duckling » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:47 am

Oh, you mean performance wise?

Well, that depends on how powerful your CPU is. The fact that it's AMD isn't an issue.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”