Do you particularly want DLC for this game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Meinhard1

Do you particularly want DLC for this game?

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:56 am

...and what would it even look like, to you?

With a 2D platformer like Tropical Freeze, a DLC world makes more sense, I think; no conective tissue required!
But Banjo-style adventure games seem less about individual levels/worlds, and more about the whole experience, cumulatively. An extra world, accessed through a menu (or even through a door patched-in to the Hub) certainly doesn't excite in the same way.
Of course DLC could be anything ... BK was originally going to have you revisit worlds as Tootie, with a different objective. Would be interesting to see something like that!

It would also be cool to get a mini Yooka-Laylee 1.5 (I.e. the Frozen Fever to Yookas' Frozen, pardon my Disney.)

p.s. Its been made clear that we are *not* getting a partial game with content being saved for post-release. Any DLC will be auxiliary, a supplement. Any grumbling about this unfortunate trend in gaming is Ill-founded, here.

Exaskryz

Re: Do you particularly want DLC for this game?

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:53 am

I absolutely do not want DLC. I have no plans to purchase DLC either. I think I get that first one free, and even that I may refuse to download just to show my opposition to the whole concept of DLC.

If DLC makes more sense than releasing a sequel to the game, I can be tolerant of that. Things like costume changes or something aesthetic - sure, go ahead. I still won't buy small things like that. But actual game-changing content? I'd really rather that have been saved for the sequel. And heck, if the DLC is released pretty early after the game is released, I will have to assume that that was content cut from the final product and released later only to make a quick buck.

And this will especially be true in a story-based game, particularly a collectathon where premeditation to make DLC that blends into the game and is clearly not tacked on will practically be required. So either the DLC is out of place - I won't like it - or it's in place - I won't like it because that means it was probably cut content.

All in all, I'd rather there not be any DLC. I would support them if they renege on the kickstarter promise.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:06 am

It's more content and I get it for free, so yes, I want it. If they choose to make more beyond the backer DLC it depends on what content it is and how it's priced. DLC can make content easier and faster to produce, as well as avoid mandatory repurchases. If done correctly, then yes, I'd enjoy more paid DLC.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

waffleme3

Postby waffleme3 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:35 pm

It depends since I get it free I would love DLC but if it was another game more often than not I wouldnt buynit. Last one I baught was roy for smash bros 4
/flys with lord helix

rocho

Postby rocho » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Comulative, the backers already paid the development of the DLC so if you are one you should probably download it.

It's Playtonic Games way to thank people who helped reaching that stretch goal.

rocho

Postby rocho » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Comulative, the backers already paid the development of the DLC so if you are one you should probably download it.

It's Playtonic Games way to thank people who helped reaching that stretch goal.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:57 pm

No. I want a complete game.

If the dlc is extra multiplayer stages or something i don't need then that's fine.
Last edited by Scrubber on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 pm

If the DLC(s) make sense and integrates well in both the story and the HUB - so, not just extra levels just for the heck of it in an extra menu -, and doesn't mean we have an incomplete game, then absolutely. The more Yooka-Laylee, the better.

But, I would prefer them to concentrate on new games rather than DLCs. So, yes to DLCs, but in moderation.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Well, that depends entirely on how Playtonic handles their DLC. If it's just a small cosmetic thing like a different skin for Laylee, or a challenge mode, then I couldn't care less about the existence of DLC for Yooka-Laylee. But if it were completely new levels that are each sold separately for let's say 10 pounds, then I would be a bit disappointed in Playtonic. That said, if they promise to include all the DLC in a physical retail version of Yooka-Laylee, then they can make as much DLC as they like so far as I'm concerned.

soulstorm64

Postby soulstorm64 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Sadly for most people who don't want them to add another level or level(s) to the game most likely will be disappointed, most things i do see happening like new skins, Alternate player models "I.E Dragon Kazooie style like in Banjo Tooie" and certain things not in the default release.

But to be honest i'm looking forward to any content that will be made even if a extra area/level is added to the hub world

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:51 pm

I think a new world would be amazing. Imagine if, for example, Banjo-Kazooie XBLA got DLC that opened a new world through the mysterious locked door in the Beauty Machine room. Perhaps a Laboratory level -- Klungo's Laboratory (though with a better name!)

The story aspect can be covered quite simply through dialogue, keeping the integrity of the game intact: "Hey Banjo, looks like we missed a world!"

We'd get amazing, nostalgic new content that blows our minds. Everyone should be happy.

It would be the same for Yooka-Laylee. New content, no matter how large, would be incredible and after a few months of the game's release, would bring new life and excitement to it. I honestly don't understand why anyone would be upset with more content. You don't have to download it if you don't want to...

Mario Kart 8 had brilliant DLC. A lot of new stages and characters for a pretty inexpensive price. I know there's not much story element in Mario Kart, but I stand by what I said about the story losing no integrity through very simple dialogue.

The only things that would annoy me is if content was purposely held back for DLC, which Playtonic said it wouldn't be, or if it was ridiculously overpriced, which the first DLC can't be (for me) as backers get it free.

With all that said, I doubt Playtonic will do an entire level for DLC. I expect some sort of 'extra' bonus content. E.g. skins, challenges, arcade games, new character moves/abilities (or a new playable character) -- stuff along those lines. I won't complain about free additional content however.
Taylonic Ltd.

Preston

Postby Preston » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:24 pm

^ oh my that would be amazing, that beauty room idea just got me goosebumps

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 pm

We're getting it anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> people refusing to download DLC

All of my lols
Make the forum great again.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:57 am

Part of me wishes they would focus all of their attention on their next game so we can get it as soon as possible, but another part of me likes the idea of having something to look forward to short term. I like the idea of alternate visuals, but I don't think they should be limited to different costumes for the main characters. It'd be awesome if they had certain themes (like Halloween or Christmas) that changed how the entire game looked. I also like the idea of bonus multiplayer maps and modes.

I'm a little undecided on worlds, though. Like some people have said, it doesn't feel right to have worlds separated from the main story. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and want things to be done exactly how they were in Banjo Kazooie, but I feel like the worlds would lose a lot of character if they aren't placed in the main story somewhere. I feel like every world has its own place in the game's story and progression. After experiencing the happy levels of Mumbo's Mountain and Treasure Trove Cove, most people would be surprised to see the dark and gritty level of Clanker's Cavern, giving the level a "this is new" feel, and makes you wonder what else the game has in store for you.

I think Creepy Castle, the final level of DK64, is by far the best level in that game. The level is dark, scary, and gloomy, and it gives you the feeling that something big is going to be happening soon. If the level turned out to be a bonus you got after beating the game, I feel like it would have lost a lot of its seriousness, since you know nothing big is going to be happening. The level would just be dark, scary, and gloomy - there'd be no story, progression, or tension to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Click Clock Woods is another good example. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Creepy Castle. Before it, you have worlds like Gobi's Valley, Mad Monster Mansion, and Rusty Bucket Bay, which were all pretty serious levels. So, going by this pattern, you'd assume that this world would be pretty serious, too, right? Wrong! The game does a complete 180 and creates the most happy and jovial world you can imagine. The game tricks you into thinking it's becoming more serious in preparation of the epic conclusion, but throws a curveball that reminds you Banjo and Kazooie's adventure is a lighthearted one. If this level turned out to be a bonus you obtained after completing the game, it would have lost that magical "happy end game" feel.

I just don't think any bonus levels in Yooka Laylee will be able to capture any of the feelings I will have had with the game's main levels. There'd be no "I wonder what is next", "change of pace", or "big conclusion" feelings with them. Of course, I'd be happy playing any sort of bonus content we get with this game, but I can't help but feel they're better off putting their resources towards making a new game.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:11 am

I also don't like the idea of having a bonus level separated from game's main story.
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if Playtonic decided to ditch the DLC to work on their next game.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:16 am

Who ever said that Yooka-Laylee gets an DLC?
They only state that they make additional contents, when they're done with the game.

But that could also mean that S'n'S can be implemented later, which will be integrated into new games.

I actually don't mind good DLC's at all. But what it will be, I can't know.
Maybe they release a DLC everyone wants?
We need to be patient and look into the actual game first, then we can flame about DLC. :mrgreen:

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Seriously, they're going to make it right. Go quote & shame me in a year or so if I'm wrong, but I strongly believe that they'll have great ideas that feel good eventually.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:13 am

Stop picking your nose

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:33 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”