Do you particularly want DLC for this game?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Alph

Re: Do you particularly want DLC for this game?

Postby Alph » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't understand why people want Playtonic to immediately get working on the sequel if they feel they have more ideas for this game that they couldn't afford to put in the base release. A sequel will take years (and might not even get off the ground unless the first game did well enough, which DLC helps support), while DLC is new content that'll come out much sooner. I love DLC, I love new content and I want it as soon as possible. I'm not getting any younger here.

I get why people hate DLC nickel-and-diming schemes from big money hungry companies but when it's a company that makes stuff you like and that you want to support it's really just another way for them to provide you with content and another way for you to provide them with support.

Personally, even as a backer, I still plan to purchase the game and all DLC at the normal price.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:36 pm

If done well...

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 pm

I certainly believe we'll get an earnest effort. Playtonic is a passion project and they are not going to give us something half-hearted or 'cash-graby'

Considering the "Marvel Universe" approach we've been hearing about: DLC certainly provides opportunity to flesh out their characters more without creating a whole new game.
(Yacht Club Games' recent work is an example of DLC done right ...and in a way that showcases their characters!)
So now I'm hoping for a sort of second quest -- same words, new character roles and scenerios, extra moves

Still the Klungos Lab idea mentioned here definitely shows how a well-picked extra world theme could flesh out the game.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:20 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm thinking new DLC could be like a wall stick/merge mechanic like in Zelda Link Between Worlds and the platforms are actual words and illustrations on a page in the DLC world. So literally in a book, and 3D movement could be accompanied by page flicking haha. Maybe that's going too far.

They can also add new challenges in the pre DLC worlds to accommodate the new move.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:41 am

I just had a good idea for a potential DLC world. What if the level takes place on a vacationing island/resort and a lot of the characters from the main game are there with Yooka and Laylee celebrating the defeat of the main villain? Sort of like the Treasure Trove Cove-like island at the end of Banjo Kazooie, but much bigger. Maybe some of the characters can give you cool extras after you've obtained a certain amount of Pagies, and maybe Rextro Sixtyfourus will unveil his latest game to you after you've obtained everything you can collect (just like in N&B when Klungo let you play Hero Klungo Saves Teh Universe). It also gives you a chance to see what the main characters have been up to since the end of the game. Maybe after the financial success of Yooka-Laylee, Trouser was able to buy himslef a fancier pair of pants. And maybe Kartos was able to get that oiling and tuneup he'd been needing for a while and offers to give you a much faster (*ahem*, harder) ride around the map.

The theme of the entire map would be a reunion and celebration between the characters. It doesn't matter that this world is only accessible after you've beaten the game, because this is the kind of world that can only be enjoyed afterwards. I know it's a very rudimentary idea, but I feel like Playtonic can expand it and make it amazing. Whatever they plan to do, I'm sure it'll be amazing. :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:06 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:53 am

Stop picking your nose

Zita

Postby Zita » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually trusts Playtonic with this whole DLC-affair. I see a lot of people complaining about not wanting any DLC content and, given the past few years of experiences we had to endure in the industry, I can absolutely understand it. I can also in no way imagine how a DLC for this type of game would even work. But I'm not the developer for this, and therefor I don't dare to criticize something that's not even here yet. Apart from that, the Playtonic guys are veterans of the industry and know what they're doing, and I wouldn't have supported them if I didn't trust them with their developing decisions.

Am I fan of DLC, generally speaking? Depends.
Do I particularily want DLC for this game? Since I cannot imagine what a DLC for this type of game would look like, I'd say no.
Do I think that the Playtonic guys will deliver a great DLC experience even though I have no idea what it could be? Absolutely.

| | |

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

^ what Grey said ^

I'm all for it. More free content on a game I'm sure I'll enjoy. I also don't think they would ever do anything to make the original release "incomplete" without the DLC. I'm certain it'll be more something, but not ruin the original.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”