What changed ?...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
lavamario

Re: What changed ?...

Postby lavamario » Wed May 18, 2016 2:43 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed May 18, 2016 8:41 am

I have to say I've been having difficulties finding those kinds of games as well. The first Dark Souls was the first game in a long time to give me that feeling (unfortunately the sequels didn't give me that feeling). It was probably the only game last generation to give me that feeling honestly. I still enjoyed playing other games, but they were just one time play throughs for me, and that lead me down the path of multiplayer games.

I believe there is too many resources being put into graphics and story telling, and not enough in game design. My biggest gripe from recent games is level design. Everything is either linear or open world. Games go to either extreme and rarely go in the middle. The Souls games are about the only recent games that have been pretty good with level design and keeping the freedom of exploration, without it being an open world game with huge empty spaces that take you 10 minutes to run across.

I sometimes try to think of reasons for why games back in the day are better than recent games and it gets me thinking and looking at things in different ways. Like collectathon games are essentially platforming games with world exploration that are filled with a bunch of side quests. In Banjo-Kazooie, your overall goal is to collect jiggies, however all the tasks that give you those jiggies are optional. The player has the freedom to progress however they like and experience the game in many different ways, and it's great. Hardly any game does this kind of thing anymore because they want to create the experience for the player, not let the player experience the game for themselves.

I've been playing the new DooM and have been really enjoying the single player, with its level design being a lot better than other recent shooters, but the multiplayer is an absolute train wreck. They apparently outsourced the development for the multiplayer, and it really shows. I think that the industry will start to get better, and it's kind of already showing with some companies retracing their steps and trying to learn from old game designs. I just really hope that making remastered old games a pre order bonus doesn't become a new thing.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 am

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed May 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Fri May 20, 2016 12:09 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”