Hivory Towers

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Re: Hivory Towers

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Or what if the main villain is a corporate bear (Hivory Towers -> honey -> bears) who overtakes Quack Corp and then teams up with a red duck.

A bit on the nose but...
Make the forum great again.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Mon May 16, 2016 8:36 pm

The whole corporate industrial feel to this scares me. It brings back horrid memories of attempting to traverse Grunty Industries, drowning in the polluted waters of Rusty Bucket Bay, and getting lost within Frantic Factory.

I do love the teasers and how they are hyping us up with speculation. I especially love the discovery of The Ivory Tower because that does seem to fit in with the theme of finding pagies to expand worlds that are from books.

Can't wait to see what else gets revealed.

einfluff

Postby einfluff » Mon May 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Cross-Posted my own comment from the Thread over at /r/YookeLaylee because I thought it would be relevant to the discussion here:

Question: Isn't "a quack" basically a person who promises to achieve extraordinary things in strange ways? For example, a skull-mask wearing shaman promising magical transformations would definitely be called a quack, wouldn't he? (That is supposed to be a serious question to all the native English speakers out there, especially the Brits in our midst: Would that word be applicable to a Mumbo Jumbo like character / would it sound somehow "off" to you or is that a fitting description of such character?)
In case that word fits, my theory would be that QuackCorp is a magic-related company in the world of Yooka Laylee, perhaps the company that is responsible for the transformations inside the game?
Your thoughts on this?

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Trousers is a salesman. He may well be a member of one of these corporations. How do you guys think he'd fit in?

Could he work for Quack Corp, and find a way to get Yooka and Laylee to help oppose Hivory Towers, or catch on that their interests align for some reason? Or might he be part of Hivory Towers (in his intro page http://www.playtonicgames.com/learn-from-the-bessst/ he thinks he's the "bee's knees") and possibly act as a double crosser? But what if he's actually double crossing Hivory Towers?
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Mon May 16, 2016 10:17 pm

"QuackCorp"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Actually, the Quack being a deranged physician and handling transformations is a nice theory.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:31 pm

Quacks are usually dubious (lying!) or out of touch ... or *allegedly* one of the above.

I would NOT call Mumbo Jumbo a quack -- he a genuine practitioner of magic, and has been very helpful. However one of his enemies (say Grunty) could *accuse* him of being a quack.

I'm pretty sure Quack Corp will be linked to Play Tonics (the game mechanic, not the dev).

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 am

ESPECIALLY considering that their banner image is definitely a Play Tonic. I guess I can't say definitely definitely, but come on.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 17, 2016 6:34 am

Play tonic... What else?

I was thinking about the word "quack" having nothing to do with ducks per sé. But the inspirational quotes are very ducky...
But nice one on the quack, could very well be smart wordplay ;)

Now to link some information together we currently have...

Alot of business going on in Yooka Laylee, Trowser confirms this once again. Also, alot of animals, we currently have: Chameleon, Bat, Snake, Dinosaur, Bee, Duck. The banjo series also had many species of animals!

It's zootopia all over again!

Still difficult to find a link with these things and the storybook...

Edit:

Perhaps all those copper pipes from the screenshots are related to the juice that is play tonic, some kind of enhancing liquid.
Perhaps this liquid is one of the assets?
Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 am

C'MOOONNNNNNNNNN!!
I hate waiting..... :(

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 17, 2016 11:33 am

New day... let's see what pops up today.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm

This is great. Keeping fans glued for new news.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 17, 2016 12:56 pm

*Subscribe to all*

No way I'm going to miss anything again XD

Let the spam commence!
Stop picking your nose

einfluff

Postby einfluff » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm

My understanding of quack is similar to crazy/lunatic. And also a duck noise obviously. Could very well be word play -- Playtonic love their word play.

Has anyone figured out what is featured in Quack Corps profile picture? I'm not looking at it right now as I'm on my phone, but trying to imagine it, I think it might be the tube of purple liquid dispenser or something. The valve. Maybe...

I am thinking they make Play Tonics as well and sell/give them to you. Maybe to stop Hivory Tower's hostile takeover.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 17, 2016 1:54 pm

rocho

Postby rocho » Tue May 17, 2016 2:14 pm

waffleme3

Postby waffleme3 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:25 pm

What im guessing is that Hivory Towers takes over companies and the people who manage yooka and laylees rent its bought out by Hivory towers. Hivory then raises your rent price and you go try to save the other company because the rent it to high. :lol:
/flys with lord helix

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”