Edge magazine material analytics

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Illuplay

Re: Edge magazine material analytics

Postby Illuplay » Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Gotta love the system
Stop picking your nose

Preston

Postby Preston » Thu May 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Read it all. Everything looks fantastic. Very happy. I do have maybe a slight concern tho. I wish they would of talked about the collectibles a bit more. I hope that there is going to be a mumbo token equivalent. And obviously a honey comb equivalent for increasing your max health.
Because I love love love collecting things.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 3:43 pm

All due time, they said they didn't want to spoil much so I guess there's tons of content not revealed yet ;)
Stop picking your nose

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu May 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the tips on how to get the issue.

Here are a few of my quick thoughts...

First, I'm actually kind of disappointed in the design of Dr. Puzz and Dr. Quack. Not sure I like the humanoid look to Puzz, nor do I understand the gumball machine look to Quack. Perhaps when I see them in action I'll grow fonder.

Everything else I loved. The first world looks magnificent and it definitely invites you to explore every nook and cranny. I also love the concept of how you reach newer areas and the choose-your-path aspect to it. Very excited to traverse these areas. I'm also pleasantly pleased that the ice world is the second world, which means there are other more difficult areas that we're still blind to.

I also like the other little characters that were shown, and I love love love the concept of the ghost writers and how they are all obtained in different ways as opposed to the jinjos just standing there (I still love me them jinjos). And I like how they mention that there wont be the same type of puzzle repeating itself throughout the game. Definitely leaves a lot of possibility for tricky pagies that require some thought into finding.

I just can't wait to see this game in action. Right now we're just seeing still shots which are astounding, so just imagine what this will be like when it moves!

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Thu May 26, 2016 3:46 pm

In all the screenshots I saw, the Quills were all facing the camera at the same angle.
Are they sprites, like the Notes etc were in BK and BT?
This might sound weird, but, I REALLY hope they're sprites. I love the sprite billboarding effect, honestly.

Also, 200 Quills per world is excellent. Seeing how big these worlds are/can become with expanding, it's good that the collectibles are increased, so they won't feel empty.

Ahh I'm just excited! I hope we get some footage before E3 rolls around!

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu May 26, 2016 3:53 pm

AndyR
Site Admin

Postby AndyR » Thu May 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu May 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Sproits ^^ ghe.

Also, I love the distance rendering with the little mist effect. Dunno, just feels right!

Can't say I love the floating isles method incorporated here. BK and BT levels always felt cozy or something... Sure hope not all maps are like this! Gotta say I DO love the big towet though ^^ my least favorite level in Super Mario 64 was rainbow ride for the same reason... Too much openness.

Lady leapalot seems promising... Wonder wgat level she belongs to ^^
Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu May 26, 2016 5:16 pm

I agree, I'm also more of a 'all-things-connected' kind of guy.

Oh man, I just can't wait for the Toybox, let alone the full game! <3
Last edited by Piet on Thu May 26, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu May 26, 2016 5:29 pm

sweeneyrya

Postby sweeneyrya » Thu May 26, 2016 5:54 pm

As much I'm happy that Playtonic Games are committed to release the game with much polish and complete game as possible, I found interesting they managed to made it to the final development in one year. Does it usually last up to 2 or more years?

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Thu May 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu May 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Yooka-Laylee will truly be the launch pad for Playtonic's bright and prosperous future. Even now with this not yet finished build of the game, it looks absolutely stunning - and the levels/characters oozes charm the likes we haven't seen since back in Rareware's golden age. Critics will trip over themselves to praise its greatness like they had done before with other 'indie' hits such as Pillars of Eternity. Perhaps they would even once again be regarded as the Pixar to Nintendo's Disney like it was when they were Rareware, who knows.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Stop picking your nose

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Edit: Apparently there's an Edge Magazine preview that I can't find that has even more content???

I found a screenshot that I didn't see anywhere in the Edge magazine, but can't find the source to. In the interest of not posting the screenshot, here's a forum (subreddit) where I found the link:

[EDIT: Removed. It's from Edge and cannot be posted. It depicts Yooka talking to a sentinent cloud with a face]
Revised response to edit: I FOUND THEM! If you have the article, one of the pages has a button that says Gallery on it. MORE SCREENS THERE!

I hope this dodges any possible copyright problem. BUT THIS IMAGE NEEDS TO BE SEEN!! It's everything I could ever ask for and more.
Last edited by dotEXE on Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Make the forum great again.

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 pm

I love how, as far as I can see from the Edge screens, the backgrounds/skyboxes use the concept art. It looks so nice.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Wherever that (found them see above) preview is from, those googley eyes are SO ON POINT. UGH THIS GAME JUST OOZES EVERYTHING I WANT IN A GAME!!!

Edit: You can see Vendi in one of the Tribalstack Tropics screenshot. She's reaaaaaaaaaaaally far back.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 7:12 pm

The cloud screenshot is available in the digital version of the magazine, according to Andy. I can't check though because Google Play has been having difficulties and still hasn't released this month's edition!
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”