Edge magazine material analytics

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Re: Edge magazine material analytics

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu May 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Last edited by Piet on Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Preston

Postby Preston » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

The text being in all caps and being in that font makes me way more happy than it should. Plus those galary images look insanely amazing. And that cutscene image I suppose with Corporate B looks amazing.
This game looks perfect.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 pm

I too am blown away by the screenshots I've just seen.

THOUGHTS:

1. The skeleton boy cooking 'alive' in the cauldron looks very similar to the skeleton girl being cooked alive we saw a while back. We know the skeleton girl needs saving in the first world, which is the Jungle world, but this skeleton guy is in the ice world. So... do we rescue a unique skeleton in every world? Are the blue minions cannibals? Do we rescue multiple skeletons in every world a bit like Jinjos?

2. The snowman character looks like Grunty with the scarf and broom, but maybe they should change the scarf colours from purple/green to purple/pink? Nod to the old antagonist.

3. You can see the red burly minion in the Capital B screenshot. First time we've seen him in-game.

4. The boat, which is painted like Yooka and Laylee, appears to be in a new area we've not seen. The trees and scenery are different to the jungle world, so I suspect this is the Spiral Mountain equivalent. Perhaps some sort of beach/forest.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 pm

:o

Mind blown yet again

These visuals...

So delightful.

This is something I really missed these years... Oh the tears! Such joy... They better don't fudge up now. No way these dreams are crushed XD

Jep.

Hype increased yet again, so is my expectation however ;)
Stop picking your nose

Illuplay

Postby Illuplay » Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 8:09 pm

I am so impressed with the things we've seen today. Like... truly blown away. Imagine the orchestrated music playing as you explore these huge worlds filled with unique characters and surprises in every level. All the funny dialogue and references. The boss fights. The arcade machines.

There is just so much to look forward to. This will be an amazing game.
Taylonic Ltd.

Illuplay

Postby Illuplay » Thu May 26, 2016 8:10 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Preston

Postby Preston » Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Only thing that could make my hype explode to the max at this point is if they confirmed that there were around 7 worlds, not including the hub. And if they confirmed some sorta of mod support. If both these things happend my life would be complete. Because so far everything looks perfect

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 pm

The page with all the character art is delightful -- everything looks really fun and quirky as hell.

The Jungle World -- the screen where you see most of the world seems slightly noisy with no single landmark or object to focus on. All the zoomed-in screens look great, though; my favorite is the one with the talking cloud. I like the tribal details.

Not sure if this has been discussed but they mention Y-L's pirate ship home... seems likely pictured in one the extra screens where they're on the rope. But it's difficult to discern that from the Jungle World.

(Not fully caught up on the article or this topic ... sorry if I'm missing something!)

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 pm

dotEXE -- the boss fights are a big deal, particularly when you consider they mean extra music. Wise and Kirkhope have done some really great boss themes!

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu May 26, 2016 8:58 pm

I only have to say one thing.

Even if I saw something about this game. Even the first picture already oozes that old Platforming-flare.

I don't know what they can make wrong, that I will ever dislike this game.

No For Real, From what I see they can't make me unhappy with this game.
In no aspect. Neither Casual playing, Scope, Art, Esthetics or Speedrunning wise.

Playtonic take your time, take as much as you need. You can't go wrong for me!

Preston

Postby Preston » Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Oh, I'm also very curious on how large exactly are these worlds. I'd assume between Kazooie and Tooie? I personally love me some huge worlds so I hope they can be as large or larger than Tooies.

soulstorm64

Postby soulstorm64 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 pm

All these pictures are amazing!! this makes me super excited for July to finally get to try out all the moves and listen to the amazing music! ahhhhh so much tease!

Those Pants on the enemy's head is a nice touch :P they look familiar...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Obligatory first-post introduction cliche...

-

Thoughts on the magazine article:

1) I love everything. I fully trust this team of developers to make a superb game that we all can enjoy, regardless of whether you're in the "Banjo 2.0" camp or "Kinda Banjo, mostly new" camp. I have yet to see anything that has really disappointed me.

2) At first I was under the impression that Tribalstack Tropics was the equivalent to Spiral Mountain in Banjo Kazooie, but the more I read and from the discussions in this thread, it seems I was mistaken. I guess Tribalstack Tropics is actually the first proper world, with the ice world being the second. In one of those six screenshots that some people can't seem to access, we see Yooka sitting on a wooden pole while Laylee flies nearby, and in the background is what looks to be a pirate ship, which I assume is "Bat Ship Crazy," their adopted home. As others in this thread have pointed out, the surrounding scenery seems slightly different than what we've seen of Tribalstack Tropics, so this area must be the Spiral Mountain equivalent.

3) LOVE the fact that the quills and talking heads are 2D sprites. Don't know why... but I love it.

4) Like others, one slight concern I have is the "floating islands" appearance of Tribalstack Tropics. Looking back at the Banjo games, and even Donkey Kong 64, most worlds were enclosed spaces, surrounded by cliffs or walls of some sort. I don't know why, but I always liked that. Of course there are some welcome exceptions, like Treasure Trove Cove, Creepy Castle, and Cloud Cuckooland, and I'm hoping that Tribalstack Tropics is that exception. By what we've seen of the Ice World, it looks like I may be right.

5) One more thing and then I'll shut up. At the end of the article, Gavin mentioned something that really resonated with me. He mentioned that a lot of the magic and fun of playing a game comes from the lack of knowledge you have before diving in. Basically, being spoiled with information kind of ruins the surprise and fun of getting the game and experiencing everything for the first time as you play it, rather than reading about it or seeing it months beforehand. I agree with all that, and while I'm happy to soak up any new info Playtonic throws at us, I really hope they keep a heavy majority of it away from public eyes so we can experience it as we play it rather than before we play it.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 pm

People forgetting Cloud Cuckooland

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu May 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Excellent discovery of the gallery photos! Very excited to have seen them...

1. Love that storm cloud. Also really love the overall look of that level. The colors, the platforms, the way you get to traverse higher and higher..it just seems to look to vast and exciting.

2. Those googly eyes in the center don't really look like they belong to the bookcase itself, but instead are just floating. Perhaps an invisible bodied something? Or the result of having just killed an enemy? Either way, looks like a cool place to explore.

3. Notice the gold statue in the background? I love the evil look to Capital B's eyes. Makes him seem more devious than the goofy look in his first reveal. Dr. Quack i'm still not 100% sold on the gumball machine, but am excited to learn the reason for it and watch him move in it.

4. Definitely like Laylee's attitude and I'm excited to see the same humor and character interactions are present.

5. Interested to see what this pirate ship is all about. Perhaps this area is a spiral mountain-esque starting point and the ship got shipwrecked there. Doesn't seem like it's in a natural place, like they are marooned somewhere.

6. I LOVE THE SKELETON. I'm not 100% convinced it's a boy, as the hat could be covering the ponytail of the original female skeleton we were shown way back when. Either way, I love it and can't wait to see this character in action. Even that pot it's boiling in looks pretty awesome. YAYAYAYAY!

I feel like we are being spoiled rotten right now. Thanks Playtonic!! :D

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”