A question about stage expansion!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
MattUmby

A question about stage expansion!

Postby MattUmby » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello all! If any Playtonic team members are reading, I adore the trailer, I loved the gameplay videos, and I can't wait for 2017 to roll around so I can get my mitts on the full game!

I know Playtonic are keeping their lips relatively sealed about the expansion mechanic, and that's perfectly fine, but I just had to ask.
Will expanding a world make certain collectibles/areas of each level locked off? I love 100%-ing platformers like Banjo, and I was just a tad concerned that there would be no way to do so if you expanded a world at the wrong time, or expanded too many worlds.
Thoughts?

Taylor

Re: A question about stage expansion!

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:40 pm

My understanding was that challenges change to fit the expanded world, but they will still only offer you a single Pagie.

E.g. you can race a character called Nimble along a dry river bed for a Pagie, or you can fill the river with water and freeze it over to race her on a slippery surface which makes it harder. Either way you can only do the challenge once and therefore will only receive one Pagie.

I may be completely wrong though. I doubt Playtonic would lock off collectibles and make 100% completion impossible, but if I'm right about the challenges expanding alongside the worlds, you technically miss out on certain aspects of the game, but it will make replaying more enjoyable as you can take a different route to experience slight variations in challenges.
Taylonic Ltd.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Some areas will be modified. But you will never expect yourself to softlock or close yourself out from 100%.

They know a lot of people play their games 100%, so they will never try to punish you for your own style of play.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:42 pm

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Maybe the answere is right on the trailer, i think glacier is an expansion to the jungle world, there are similarities between the two (some rock architecture, even red paint patterns), orange monsters are the same and also there is a burning pot with skelleton in both glacier and jungle, maybe a recurring character in every world maybe not. If this is what i'm thinking it is, playtonic has a really HUGE set of levels inside levels to explore... What do you think guys?? What we've seen so far may be just level 1

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Taylor -- yeah, that was definitely to do with the berries
Daniel -- interesting thought but Deans 'Frozen' Glacier World is confirmed to be entirely separate.

Topic Creator --
*ahem* *puts on spectacles*
...a very good question. In Tribalstack Tropics it is our understanding the towering rock with the cloud on top is the expansion for World 1. When we're merely hooking floating islands together, there should be no effect on ones ability to 100 percent a level.
However, Gav has confirmed that approaches to expansion will vary from world to world. Let us speculate Glacier World has a post-melt expansion (a stretch as it would take a lot of work but addresses your concern). Playtonic will ABSOLUTELY NOT punish you for expanding the world, and they know some of their fans have these OCD-like tendencies to 101 percent. They'd likely do something like placing a time portal in a cave so you can go back and forth.
If the world flips upside-down, it will flip back!! I'm not privy to any special knowledge, but this just all stands to reason.
Last edited by Meinhard1 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:11 pm

From verbage given by Playtonic themselves, I'm almost certain the two worlds are different worlds. We've also been told the jungle world is Tribalstack Tropics, meanwhile the Ice World has just been referred to as "the second world".

Also they've said the expansion to that world tacks on a new floating island with the temple.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Dot is right. The URLs for the screenshots are also labelled as Glacier World and not expansion or anything along those lines.

Interesting theory though. I do wonder just how much the expansions may change some worlds as Gavin etc. have said they are more significant than just increasing the size.
Taylonic Ltd.

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Last edited by DanielGarza on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:02 am

A recurring mission makes sense :D, Q1 seems so long, but the game will be awesome!

GAfitness

Postby GAfitness » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and not sure if this has been posted before but I'd really like to know if there will be some backtracking between worlds? I loved how Banjo Tooie did this and all the worlds were connected. For example dropping George the Ice Cube in Hailfire Peaks while you're in Cloud Cuckooland. Has this been confirmed yet?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

DanielGarza

Postby DanielGarza » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 am

I hope last boss will be locked until you expanded most of the worlds and collected almost every pagie, i loved the final grunty painting where you had to fill every space with jiggies so the game itself forced you to go backtracking and find every single jiggie, that was hard the first time,

i hope YL force you into some kind of this at a certain moment, because once you defeat the last boss there is something done and the game feels strange after that, like if its over,

Playtonic team said you can play the game your own personal way/style, even beat every world after world without expanding but reaching the final Capital B without expanding every world would just feel wrong,

Maybe something like: every boss battle holds a key, you can only acces to boss expanding the level, to acces to final boss you have to collect every key (like in diddy kong racing with amulets)

I really hope there is a big reward for every single pagie collected, maybe the second part of boss fight or a secret level (also like in diddy kong racing, the final space races)

What do you think??

GAfitness

Postby GAfitness » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 am

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Just wanted to post this here as it's something I read and wasn't sure if it was confirmed or if there's any truth to it.

In regards to stage expansion changing the world, hence changing the challenges you can attempt at a given time, I read that there is a way to reverse the effects of the expansion. For example, in Tribalstack Tropics, when you use the water berry to make the cloud rain and create the river (and again to make it ice by using an ice berry) you can also feed the cloud the flame berry and he will dry up the riverbed, reverting it back to its original state.

Does anyone know if this is confirmed or was spoken about anywhere? It provides an interesting solution to the above question about the 100%. Plus, if there are upwards of 25+ pagies in a world, perhaps the riverbed race CAN be attempted in three different ways (dry, water, and ice), each a different level of difficulty and each resulting in a pagie.

Thoughts?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”