ARCHIVE: Yooka-Laylee: Everything We Know (So Far)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Re: Yooka-Laylee: Everything We Know (So Far)

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Jphthe1

Postby Jphthe1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Interesting. Thanks Taylor for all the info. I actually had a snake back in 2010 named "trowser". Can't wait to play this game.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Please share some animations with us. :D
you kuh lady

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes please! I'm starving for info over here!
Make the forum great again.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm

I on the other hand am probably going to try to avoid as much info as I can. Then the game will be a surprise. Or a lot of it, anyway.

...um, I may have to leave these forums for a while near the release date if I'm going to do that. :lol:

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm planning to avoid plot spoilers beyond "here's the intro, your sister/friend/treehouse/swamp/favorite toy was kidnapped, there's the villain, go save your whatever-ma-jig". That said, I'm fully interested in any environments, enemies, abilities, NPCs, collectibles, or whatever else they want to show. I guess in an adventure game, environment spoilers are bigger than story spoilers, but whatever.
Make the forum great again.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:42 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 am

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Know what I'm hoping for? remember in banjo tooie there were cheats? but it wasn't just located in a menu... you had to play through the game and when you got to a certain point (i.e. the first level.... in a temple you had to open up) THEN you can enter the cheats? one thing... i honestly hope if there is going to be first person aiming it HAS to be better than banjo tooie. the way you used it (like entering the aforementioned cheats) was super awkward.
heres hoping :3

Wolfen

Postby Wolfen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 am

Taylonic Ltd.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Is anyone going to EGX? Wonder if it will be there...

Dajo Fox

Postby Dajo Fox » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks for the Post. I cant wait to see more!

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:37 pm

I have a few problems with the 'What not to expect list'. For a start, how do you know Playtonic Games won't find a way to allow the player to play as Banjo and Kazooie. They are former Rare employees so Rare might be a bit generous and allow them to, I don't know, have a world in which you have to play as Banjo and Kazooie. For a world like that, they might even have so that the entire world is former Rare title themed, with areas based of Donkey Kong 64, Goldeneye 007 (Could be an excuse for a Tooie-style FPS segment), Battletoads and all the other classics. Even if you didn't play as Banjo and Kazooie, a world like this would still be amazing. What if they did a Sonic Generations and used a world like this to re-imagine locations from old games to make them feel fresh for a new generation to celebrate the past and present. I can think of a few places that could be re-imagined in the Yooka-Laylee gameplay style: Creepy Castle, Aztec Complex and that infamous Third Level... This could be seen as an UNINSPIRED REHASH but I'd like it anyway. As for the unwanted gameplay, well, I'm not sure about UNWANTED but I can certainly see unexpected gameplay making an appearance. Maybe some vehicle stages,perhaps some Shoot 'em Up areas, a board game section possibly, a top down part like in Super Mario 3D World, a turned based RPG style battle, etc. Big empty areas aren't necessarily a bad thing, both Ocarina of Time and Xenoblade Chronicles have big empty areas in them but no-one complains. This is because a vast space of emptiness can help make a world feel expansive, and also are good for hiding a collectible in plain sight, placing in a random place in the area and requiring the player to search around looking for it. Micro transactions might be used to get Play Tonics or DLC. Whale-hunting could show up as a mini-game or boss in the Snow world. Advertisements could show up as billboards in a City level. Splitting up is still very much a possibility.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 am

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:37 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 am

Hey. Gray has pretty much said everything.

'Do not expect' means exactly that -- don't expect it. You can hope, and maybe some things on the list might end up in the game, but you should keep in mind that everything on the first post of this thread has been 'confirmed' by a developer.

In regards to the characters splitting up, I believe it was Andy who mentioned that there were no plans for it during a Skype interview. You'll have to dig for the source; this was quite some time ago.
Taylonic Ltd.

DWard14

Postby DWard14 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:29 pm

I love the idea of a stealth feature.

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 pm

wonder if there will be a place to input cheats like in bk (the sandcastle in treasure trove cove) and bt (the pyramid in mayahem temple) i mean... while *yes* cheating can be considered naughty but it always was fun screwing around without fear of dying. also, i think disabling achievements (ONLY doing that. let us save the game please)is punishment enough for using them >w>
and yes *ACTUAL* cheats like invincibility, infinite ammo, fast yooka, etc would do well nicely.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”