Interiors: Dr Puzz/Trowzer Building?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pokemaniac Dan

Interiors: Dr Puzz/Trowzer Building?

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:00 pm

So I watched everything about 5 times already and I have a question and am wondering what everyone thinks.

Is anyone bothered by the fact that Trowzer and Dr. Puzz are just freely hanging out in the open world and don't have a dwelling? Like in BK/BT Bottles/JamJars and Mumbo/Wumba had mole hills/silos and skull/teepee. I feel like Trowzer/Puzz just being out there is a little similar to the way in N&B the characters were just standing in areas waiting for you to approach them.

I'm not entirely bothered by this, but just something that I focused on the more I watched the videos. I liked how in BK/BT the dwellings would be decorated with the theme of the world (more so Mumbo's skull than any of the others) which I found to be a cute feature. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Taylor

Re: E3 trailer by Playtonic

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Thinking back at it, I was a little bothered by the lack of homes for Trowser and Dr. Puzz. I agree with what Taylor said about not having them making it easier to access the transformations and moves, though. Maybe Trowser can have a small stand and Dr. Puzz can have a giant tarp/gazebo? Otherwise it might be a bit hard to find them.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I hadn't thought of this, but that's really a good point. I kind of enjoyed stumbling upon all their dwellings in Banjo Tooie and DK64. I don't list BK because Mumbo's house was more or less a given there, but I felt like you actually discovered them in Banjo Tooie. Especially since Humba had a hidden teepee.

Kinda hope that's something on their list for the next 6-10 months :D I wouldn't be heartbroken without it, but it's a nice touch. Especially since they're making a Playtonic UNIVERSE. Of course, they could always hand-wave the no dwellings thing by explaining that their homes are in another game.
Make the forum great again.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Not going to argue for likeness, for its own sake but:
There is something nice about seeing the recurring buildings in different settings with BK and BT. It increase visibility of the NPCs location and provide a nice landmark for the world.
Anyways, I'd be in favor of a lab for Dr Puzz

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 pm

It just looks sooo great and I am so excited for Yooka-Laylee but some things are making me unsure.
For example, for me the worlds seems to be big but not detailed, what I mean is they are to open and I dont saw any interiors or buildings which we could enter like in BK/BT DK64. Also the fact that the equivalents to Bottles and Mumbo Jumbo have no interiors/huts/small buldings where you can find them. Another thing which bothers me is that the game have too much of these floatable platforms ... this makes the world not soo organic and dont gave them this character like in BK/BT (hopefully they are only in the first world) rather
more like a playground and more like some worlds in the style of Super Mario Galaxy.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Alucard -- valid to have concerns but I think you've got Tribalstack Tropics pegged all wrong. When everything zoomed out at the end of the trailer one can see a TON of detail below. Also previews specifically comment on the worlds being dense.
Floating platforms -- we see em more in that section of T.T. but if you look at glacier world, surely that looks certified organic?

Tek

Postby Tek » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:29 pm

I've been quietly browsing these forums and keeping up with all of the updates over the past year, but now I feel I just have to comment. This latest update is just too awesome!

The trailer is absolutely stunning! It's beyond what I hoped for when I backed this, and although my urge to play this game causes the delay to sting a little, I fully expected it and support it completely. More development time can only help make this game even better, and it's already looking like a worthy successor to Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie.

Until it was pointed out I didn't even notice it, but I have to agree that it would be nice for Trowzer and Dr. Puzz to have some kind of a structure or something that they can be found in, like in BK & BT.

It's understandable that Trowser might not have a permanent structure as he IS a traveling salesman, but perhaps he could have something portable that you could see from a distance? A cart of some kind? What about a suitcase? A lot of salesmen have suitcases, right? He could have a big suitcase that opens up into a portable stand or something. What if you could jump inside the suitcase and his store was actually inside it!? :shock:

Maybe they do have something already and we just haven't been shown it yet/it's not finished. I won't be too sad if they don't end up having structures of some kind, but it sure would be cool.

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Interior areas are great. I hope to explore some ancient temples/caves in Tribalstack Tropics.

I wonder if buildings will be bigger on the inside as per Banjo-Kazooie. The worlds we've seen look massive, so it might not be necessary to pull off Tardis magic.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Octopeart

Re: Interiors: Dr Puzz/Trowzer Building?

Postby Octopeart » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:30 pm

As much as I'd like houses or whatever for the characters, Puzz's area has been growing on me. I was thinking that, since she seems unsure of herself, maybe the transformation method gets more complicated with each level as she gains confidence. Maybe it starts off as a beam in the first level and she ends up with a lab or something by the end, but I think you can see her same setup in Glitterglaze Glacier in the trailer when Yooka and Laylee are fighting the orange fella.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for splitting this to its own thread. The trailer threads hard to keep up with, with all the different discussions going on in the same page.

What type of home do you wish to see each npc in?

I want to see Trowzer emerge from bush (ala bottles mole hill). Not only could snakes totally reside in bushes but it's also a nice little adult joke (trouser snake emerging fr a bush)

I think Puzz should reside in little portable laboratory.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I really loved how the BK team, twenty years ago, managed to bypass hardware limitation by segmenting level design into many interior parts. They avoided artefacts like fog or clipping, of which lots of other games were full. And it brought more challenge, maybe a bit too far... I remember mazes like Grunty Industries made me crazy. :lol:

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:25 pm

Funny how most of the things folks loved about those N64 games were results of system limitations.

Honestly, I don't mind that they're just hanging out in the world, as long as they aren't terribly hard to spot. Just let Playtonic do their thing, folks. If they try to make too many compromises for the sake of fans, we'll likely end up with an inferior product.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

AmazeeLuck

Postby AmazeeLuck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:17 pm

I actually prefer Dr. Puzz being outside. It's nice how accessible it is. No need to go through a load door and wait through two screen fades. Just run onto the pad and transform. Visibility shouldn't be an issue with the pad and big red transforming laser. Playtonic can simply make it more noticeable if it's still hard to see.

You have to draw the line somewhere between catering to nostalgia and trying new things. I think it's an improvement having something you'll use so often outside. It looks good, it's faster, and it works.

As for Trowzer, Bottles and Jamjars were already outside, just in a mole hill or a bunker. Trowzer standing outside is fine, maybe even better because he is always visible.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”