How should you enter worlds?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

Re: How should you enter worlds?

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:05 pm

What if that book was actually already conceived by the devs? Pagies doing something similar to Jiggies in completing a puzzle makes sense.

Imagine you can hop into an incomplete book. What I mean is, once you complete the first chapter of a book, you can play that level. Then you can come back with more pagies from other worlds to open up the second or third chapter - expanding the world.

Would be a great surprise if there's no indication, or only a very subtle one, that there are still pagies to put into the book.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:28 pm

I want the entrance to each world to be entirely different and fit into the environment like in Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie with treasure chest, ant hill, graveyard, mineshaft, tree trunk etc. I'd rather that then they all look the exact same but dotted in different locations like in nutsnbolts.

HarmfulSpacenut

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:36 pm

I personally enjoyed the silly entrances in Banjo Kaozooie more then the more seemless entrances in tooie. But tooie took place in a more "real" world while kazooie was in a witches castle/stonehut/head, where you can explain everything with... it's magic! :lol:

Feber

Postby Feber » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 am

I always loved the Mario 64 Entry Portals, But it was probably just becasue they were so wavy wavy.

If there are separate entrances, I would love to see them be more like Banjo-Kazooie, Rather than Tooie. I think of Tooie as a good start for the open world feel, and Kazooie as a good start for the separate world feel.

But if there is anyway to integrate a wavy wavy portal entry I'm all for it 100%!
Animation and Computer Science Major at Ball State University

"Ahoooooooooyeeee! ooooh oooh oh" - Kazooie

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 am

Chris3_14159

Postby Chris3_14159 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I would like to see the worlds blend almost seamlessly with the hub. Also have areas that are completely white and you need to collect/find pages to reveal or draw in the new area.

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Scissormetimbers

Postby Scissormetimbers » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:08 am

How about a handheld remote device that can open portals to other dimensional worlds?

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 am

Don't suppose I have a strong preference.

I do kind of like the "could only be a videogame hub" feel of Gruntildas Lair or Peaches Castle.
Still, the more cohesive world of Island-o-Hags (with worlds feeling like actual locations within) had its charm too.

Given that the worlds are confirmed to take place in books, I'm thinking more like Gruntildas Lair?

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”