Potential in the organized creation of a 'Project Threeie' mod (or 'Project Threeie & Desist', perhaps)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Banjo-Kaizo

Potential in the organized creation of a 'Project Threeie' mod (or 'Project Threeie & Desist', perhaps)

Postby Banjo-Kaizo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:55 pm

I suggest this not because I think its existence would substantially better the game we are already receiving, but because something along the lines of the concept is rather inevitable once the game releases to the general public.

Playtonic have been very firm in saying they have no intention to override, or 'replace' the lineage of Banjo games so to speak; as they've said, "Banjo is a Microsoft property, Yooka-Laylee is a Playtonic property. There is no real 'connection'". The parallels are blatant, and the intention to make the Banjo Tooie sequel that never was is rooted in every part of the game, but it is a 'spiritual successor' nonetheless. Despite this, depending on how supportive the final release is of mods, there will no doubt be some very talented induviduals on the scene to seamlessly bring Banjo and Kazooie into the game, along with all the Banjo assets corresponding to those present in Yooka.

I also think by now it's safe to say that Microsoft have little reason to make a proper Banjo, now and in the coming years. What market there was to make a tried and true successor to the series has already been masterfully cornered by Yooka Laylee. The profits Microsoft accept from its release on Xbox One are enough of a justification to not try and steer Rare away from their current plan to produce a line of ambitious new IP, no matter how successful Yooka goes on to be. Additionally, what can be said for sure is that we will never see the Banjo Threeie that the Rareware of yesteryear would have made. Undoubtedly the closest we will ever get to that game is thankfully releasing early next year.

With all that being said, would it be a worthwhile venture to round up all the willing talent under some sort of centralized effort to make a mod that entirely turns Yooka Laylee into the Threeie we all expected? I'm talking inside and out, as if it was 2005 and you just picked up Rare's Banjo Threeie for the Xbox. Of course you'd have to rework the plot to be a direct continuation of where Tooie left off, swap the main characters (BK for YL, Mumbo for Puzz, Jamjars/Bottles for Trowzer, etc), maybe integrate Spiral Mountain at the beginning somehow. The bulk of the game, and the individual levels themselves would remain very much the same, however. Really it's only the story and characters you would need to alter (swapping Capital B for Grunty, if that were the plan, would be quite the challenge, but in thinking about it I had a few ideas of my own). From what we've seen so far, the move sets of YL and BK are certainly not a 1:1 match, but it's still more than enough to work with. And of course, nothing could really be efficiently planned out until we've seen the entire game, once it releases.

Like I've said, it would do little to enhance the game itself, essentially it would just be a nice bit of fan-made-fan-service. I also don't know if, should it go far enough, the project would run into legal trouble with Microsoft. I can't really see that happening, because there does not exist any Banjo games for the mod to be a competitor of, a la Project M with Smash U. There's no scenario where Microsoft would be losing any money over its existence. If someday that became the case, and we did get a new Banjo Platformer, well then this would be an entirely different story.

I'd just like to gauge all of your feelings on this idea, or if you think such a project could even come together. It's just one of many thoughts I've had brought about by my eager anticipation of this game :D

BanjoThreeie

Re: Potential in the organized creation of a 'Project Threeie' mod (or 'Project Threeie & Desist', perhaps)

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:15 am

Unity, the engine Yooka Laylee uses, does not support mods. Making them for Yooka Laylee would not only be extremely hard, but illegal. I don't see why anyone would want to spend their time changing the graphics and a few gameplay features of a game, with the risk of getting sued, just so they can fool themselves into thinking they're playing the real Banjo Threeie, when in reality they're just playing a reskinned version of another game.

If this could be done legally, I think it'd be pretty fun to play, but in no way would it ever fill the gap for a real Banjo Threeie for me. It'd pretty much be the equivalent of texture packs in Minecraft with a few tweaked gameplay elements.

Banjo-Kaizo

Re: Potential in the organized creation of a 'Project Threeie' mod (or 'Project Threeie & Desist', perhaps)

Postby Banjo-Kaizo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:06 am

This is essentially the answer I was looking for. Honestly I haven't done much research on the subject, but I understand giving mod support to a Unity game is a very difficult task, and probably one Playtonic haven't considered worthwhile. The reason I suggest any attempt to do this be under one umbrella of an effort, is because simply reskinning elements of the game and not going 'all-out', or not modding it into something more whole and complete, would be a rather awkward and more a novelty and a detriment to what is already present in the game. If it's challenging AND illegal to do, it's simply not worth it; it wouldn't improve anything, just be an alternate way to play through the same, untouched levels. Certainly not worth being sued over.

If done right I seriously believe you'd be looking at something incredibly close to what might have been in the original Banjo-Threeie. Yes, it wouldn't 'fill the gap' for me entirely, but at the same time Yooka-Laylee in itself has come fairly close to doing that. The game is similar in nature enough to the Banjo Kazooie series, where I do think it could be pulled off in a way that doesn't seem uncanny or like you're playing something reskinned.

It's just a silly idea of mine, I realize. In no way am I not more than content with the game we're already getting. I just don't believe we'll be hearing from the Banjo franchise for a long, long time, if not ever again. Microsoft are well aware of the interest, but that hasn't done anything to convince them that making another would be a practical business venture.

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:23 am

As much as I love Banjo-Kazooie and its cast of characters, I'd rather keep things how they are.

I wanna see what these new characters and this new world has to offer.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:58 am

Where do these threads come from XD
Man, I'm almost getting scared. You sending this to government?

Anyway: Most frank answer I can give is that I expect this won't happen. Unless there's some die hard purists out there. But then this would already have happened before. Either in GMod, Minecraft or whatever.

Banjo Kazooie was just great for what is was, it should stay that way. Time for a next chapter and time to let go of the old.

Never say never though. But to be honest. If you'd ask me such a question a year ago I would would be possitive. But I moved on ;)
Stop picking your nose

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am

I hope this doesn't happen.

I love Banjo and Kazooie and their world. But for me, their spirit and charm has been passed on to Yooka and Laylee. Like, they've died and reincarnated as a Chameleon and a Bat.

I like to think that they really are the same characters. Just the souls of the characters have been passed on to new bodies. The bear and bird days are over. I'm ready to go on this adventure with the chameleon and the bat. It's their turn now.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I hope it doesn't as well. Have you ever played some of the Pokemon Rom Hacks? Or Sonic? MegaMan? 99.999% of fan games are just garbage. Fans think they can write a story or design levels in the style of the original but the level design is always bad and the writing is always blunt, rushed, and full of forced dialogue.

Rather not.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”