Less Hope For Yooka Laylee?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scrubber

Re: Less Hope For Yooka Laylee?

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:18 pm

What have i got to be cautious about? I payed next to nothing for a game that i WILL recieve next year.

What's happened with mightyno9 thats pissed people off?

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 am

Well if they haven't delivered the game they promised while asking for peoples money then I'm not surprised people are pissed off.

Yooka Laylee is proving to deliver EXACTLY what we funded.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

It's understandable that people might be wary when video game-related kick-starters don't deliver what they promised and thus make backers lose faith in them (e.g. Mighty No 9).
All that Playtonic needs to do is show that it's a company that delivers on its promises.

THAT is how it makes its mark.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:49 am

Yeah, but what's been promised for Yooka-Laylee is open to interpretation. What is it now, at least 5 levels, a 'buddy-duo platforming collectathon', so-and-so-many knickknacks,etc. Not a lot of specifics for the overall quality of the product. A couple of things the game certainly does have going for it though is that the controls look smooth and it's a beautiful game. But we haven't been shown anything more than a sizzle reel yet. We need to push them to present a contiguous, representative demo. We still don't know how well the story, humor, and gameplay elements are fitting together. Plenty of reason to be optimistic, but corporate cheerleaders don't do consumers any favors (just saying. I'm not noticing or calling anyone out).

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 am

Stop picking your nose

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:49 pm

All we can do is hope they they learned and grew from their past experiences. From both bad and good. And there was a ton of good! Rare games were some of the best around in the 90's! Obviously going back the gameplay doesn't hold up 100% on some of our favorites, but the technology's changed, and our understanding of games has changed. And I would hope all for the better.

Yooka-Laylee isn't going to be Banjo-Kazooie, or Tooie, or Conker or DK64. It may share similarities, it may share team members, but we have to look at it as its own experience. One of a passion project made bigger by fans of these folks' past creations.

Can they make a story and worlds that work just as well as past games? Absolutely! Will they? Well, I hate to say "let's wait and see", but it's about the only thing we can do right now. So far, everything they've shown looks spectacular. From the gameplay and the visuals, down to the music and the little touches. Plus they have so much more power to work with. They pushed the N64 to its absolute limit without breaking it. Now they don't have to worry about doing that so much. They can make the game look and play as good as they want to without making nearly as many sacrifices.

We'll get our first taste soon enough. And frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I agree with Crownless.

Anyways, I'm the sort who if I really like an artist I'll enjoy their lesser works, as well as their best. And YL is looking pretty damn good, too. AND we're totally starved for this sort of game. No promises Yooka-Laylee will make me rapt with joy, but I'll certainly love it.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Just because there are a couple of duds made with Kickstarter doesn't mean the entire crowdfunding system is bad. Yes, it sucks if you had pledged on a project and the game/movie/whatever is either never released, or it turns out to be nothing what you expected. But that's the thing with Kickstarter, you're donating on a dream that an indie company wants to make real. It's not a pre-order shop, and while they can promise all they want to convince you that their project is going to be everything you hoped for - the reality is that you are not guaranteed that will be the case. You shouldn't pledge money on Kickstarter if you're not willing to take a risk, it's basically a gamble and you might lose big - or reap the rewards.

If more people realized that, I'm sure they wouldn't ask for refunds after a project turns out to be garbage - or is never released. However, "projects" that were created for the sole goal to scam people, is an entirely different story. Alas, since it was technically a donation - you can't do anything to get your money back... Unless you're willing to start a witch hunt and personally confront the scammers, if you can find them that is.

For every failure like Unsung Story, Yogventures, Clang, Mighty No. 9, there are excellent games that were created with Kickstarter such as Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Shovel Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, etc. The good far outweighs the bad, but the projects that failed are always getting more attention by the media/public than the ones which didn't. Why is that you ask? Because that's human nature, it's that simple.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:32 am

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:09 am

That makes sense because it's only measuring the success of the actual Kickstarter campaign. Once that rocket's off the ground, Kickstarter has nothing to do with it.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:31 pm

smashbro596

Postby smashbro596 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 pm

less hope? nah. given how the trailers of yl (that shows off gameplay, not just pre-rendered pr bs)and the video that shows off the demo world.... i can safely say this will NOT turn out ANYTHING like mighty no. 9. i mean even though it's just a demo it looks beautiful. and something i can look back years from now showing this to my kids and grandkids and say "yeah... that's just the demo. wait 'til you see the REAL game." then show them the real game. pt arent messing around like comcept was. they are keeping us in-the-know of how the games look while still keeping us on our toes of what comes next. I feel like my money was well-placed investing with playtonic. and the fact that the demo alone has me excited should speak volumes of the quality that is just a few months away.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 pm

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:38 am

I'd just like to document that I had my hyper cynical 15-year-old brother play the Toybox+, and he loved every moment of it.

He's been overly critical of Y-L as a result of the many, many failed Kickstarter games, especially because of its "spiritual successor" status and was comparing it to Mighty Number 9. From the moment he started playing to finding the final secret he was completely enthralled. He has the stupidest grin on his face the entire time. The challenge of conquest sucked him in. His words to me were that it felt intuitive, natural, and familiar. Now he can't wait for it to release.
you kuh lady

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”