Less Hope For Yooka Laylee?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
DarkTone

Less Hope For Yooka Laylee?

Postby DarkTone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm

With Mighty No 9 finally out, people are talking about the pros and cons. I wanted to focus on Kickstarter.

I've heard a lot of people say that KS is a scam and will never back anything because of MN9. I have also heard some say they will avoid Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained too. This angers me because it's not even the same company.

The fact that MN9 did not do well doesn't mean others from kickstarter won't either. Undertale and shovel knight are usually bought up as examples.

What do you think? Should gamers be cautious of Yooka Laylee, because of how MN9 turned out?

LittleGreen

Re: Less Hope For Yooka Laylee?

Postby LittleGreen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 pm

"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link:
Remake:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 pm

No?

I don't see why anyone would be wary of Yooka Laylee. The Kickstarter has already been funded for starters, so other failed projects have no impact on Yooka Laylee's development.

Backers get the game free. Other people can read reviews and watch gameplay footage to decide if they want to buy the game. No sane person would avoid it simply because it was born out of crowdfunding.

From the footage we've seen, I believe Yooka Laylee is handsdown the best game to have come from Kickstarter, and in the shortest timeframe too.

The fact Playtonic achieved what they have within a single year of development is testament to their incredible talent and years of experience. There are no worries from me, nor the majority of the fanbase, I think.
Taylonic Ltd.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:03 pm

They shouldn't avoid Yooka-Laylee, but I understand their hesitation. Getting your hopes up for a game that's supposed to be like the one that inspired you back in the day, only to be rewarded with a mediocre release, is utter betrayal. They're all so hurt by it they don't want to risk getting hurt the same way.

Already though Playtonic has done everything right in my book. They're keeping us updated with news and developments and gameplay and trailers and artwork and interviews and more. They're keeping themselves accountable. Yes, they delayed it a few months, but Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 were delayed titles, too. They're not keeping us in the dark. They already had all the money they needed from the start to make the game, and their ultimate goal isn't just to make this one nostalgia title, they're trying to become a full-fledged gaming studio and keep creating. The end game is so much more.

People will come around when Y-L is finally released and the reviews are stellar. I wouldn't be worried about the doubters.
you kuh lady

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 pm

It's one thing I don't like about Yooka-Laylee being a Kickstarter game. There's a kind of hatred, or discrimination, or something, about Kickstarter games, just because a few of them were failures. And, as always, people are putting everything in the same basket. People do this a lot, it' very annoying!

I have zero doubt that Yooka-Laylee will be a truly amazing game, probably one of the best games founded via Kickstarter, and that it will boost Playtonic into a great company. I can't wait to play YL and I'm exited for Playtonic's future.

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:47 pm

For every crowd-funding flop like Mighty No. 9 and the Ouya, there's a crowd-funding success like Shovel Knight and Undertale.

Yooka-Laylee looks solid and I've heard nothing but good things about Bloodstained from the people who've played the demo.

MN9's issues shouldn't have an effect on any other developers' games except for future titles by Comcept themselves.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:38 pm

As a somewhat related side note, I wonder what Yooka Laylee would look like today if a Kickstarter was never set up, or only raised the target of £175k.

My instinct is we would have more or less the same game, though probably less console releases.

But then again I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to finances. I do hope Playtonic haven't blown the entire budget on having very generous salaries when the excess sum could ensure a second game. I'd feel a bit cheated if they set up a second Kickstarter for their next project instead of using their existing budget and profit from YL.
Taylonic Ltd.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:59 pm

The fact that YL was so ridiculously succesful (reaching its end in less than an hour) will probably atract some less trustworthy developers to give it a try, but YL itself has more than proved to do great with what they promised and were given, and have been very backer/fan/client-friendly.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:09 pm

It is frustrating that some are generalizing their feelings to all of KS.
People are disappointed with Mighty No 9 and they are venting. This has happened before and it will happen again.
Not sure I see this impacting YL's reception, too much. Though comparisons to other projects will surely be made!

Is KS a scam? Really I just don't think people understand the challenges of game development. Even Nintendo has had to start over from time to time, and KS devs don't always have that luxery.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:22 pm

It's a shame people think that way. YL is still going strong and I'm just as hype. The fact that this will be compared to MN9 as a whole is wrong.

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 pm

Yeah, Mighty No 9's failure falls entirely on Comcept. There's no reason to blame Kickstarter for anything. Yooka-Laylee's already looking a million times better than MN9 did.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Well first, it's a little late to back Yooka Laylee regardless, so I don't see why anyone is being "scared off" because MN9 sucked. Second, YL and MN9 are two very, very different Kickstarter projects. I'll get to that later.

But to address the question, people don't seem to understand what Kickstarter is.

I've had to say this a lot here and on Reddit. Kick starter is NOT:

* A pre-order.
* An investment (you do not earn profit or get a cut from your donation).
* A purchase.
* A contract.

From their terms of service - "Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it."

Kickstarter IS:

* A donation to a company with a generally intended purpose.

Once you give them your money, for all intents and purposes it's gone. There's no guarantee of a finished product (I backed Unsung Story and got nothing at all). There's no guarantee that the end product will look ANYTHING like what you were told up front (MN9 says hi). The game could end up in development hell for eternity (Star Citizen, which I also backed).

Kickstarter has always been and will always be a calculated risk. If you think you can say goodbye to $X forever and hope for an outcome, then Kickstarter might be for you. I got burned on a few project and am now VERY selective in what projects I'll back. MN9 smelled fishy from the start, so I didn't back it. Sir, You Are Being Hunted looked fishy from the start, so I didn't back it.

I have had, and continue to have, absolutely zero doubts about the end-product that will be delivered by Playtonic. Playtonic is a tight-knit team of developers who know each other well, with a boatload of shared experience in the exact type of project they're making. MN9 was, what, one director from a couple of the Mega Man games on it? And that's it. The connection between MN9's development team and the original Mega Man team is barely 1 guy. Yooka-Laylee's team is a huge chunk of the original Banjo Kazooie team.

Backing Playtonic was a calculated risk that I know will pay me back in dividends. I have zero regrets and so far I would absolutely back them again if they announced another Kickstarter after Yooka Laylee came out. ... though I think they plan to go into hiding and use the proceeds from YL to do whatever they do next. More secretive, less answering to outside parties.
Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 pm

I don't understand your point in the OP DarkTone.

It's too late to be cautious of YL. Either someone supported the kickstarter or didn't. They have to wait for the game's release to even put money toward Playtonic (unless they donate of their own free will, but that's not donating with the promise they'd get a game for no further cost). If these gamers think you must prepurchase a game before the release date to ever play it, they really should get their head checked.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 pm

rocho

Postby rocho » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:00 am

I would donate to Playtonic again in a second campaign... you can almost get the game for a lower price and I would buy it anyway if released.

Actually Playtonic is the only team I truly trust with a Kickstarter donation because they are heroes to me.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:58 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Mighty No.9's failure will only give Playtonic (and other game companies using Kickstarter) even more pressure to deliver a quality product. With the negative press the game got before and after release, I doubt anyone with a successful Kickstarter would want it to end up like that game.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:54 pm

There are people writing it off because it is unity, people writing it off because almost a year from release it has pop in and framerate stutters, and yes people writing it off because it is a Kickstarter game. The thing with those people is that they are very loud but there aren't actually that many of them. And even if some online people end up not liking the thing you like because of a dumb reason like that, in the end the only ones affected by that are them so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”