Nuts and bolts 2.0.sans vehicles.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Shawnsim

Nuts and bolts 2.0.sans vehicles.

Postby Shawnsim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:47 pm

I really hate to be "that guy" but the similarities exist.

Yooka Laylee looks more like a Nuts and Bolts successor han a true successor to the originals. That first level looks alot like Nutty Acres complete with racing through rings.

I really want to see some interior parts of levels in order to judge correctly.

Flame away. :shock:

Crownless

Re: Nuts and bolts 2.0.sans vehicles.

Postby Crownless » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:55 pm

We've had rings in BK since the first game. And I think the visual comparison you're getting is merely an effect of greater hardware to work with. They're capable of making bigger, more detailed levels. Even moreso than in B-K Nuts & Bolts.

Let's be honest, the vehicles made N&B what it was. Without them it's just... well, Banjo-Kazooie.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:25 am

I've been lurking these boards for a while now, and really don't have an interest in being an active member of any forum. Buuuut, I registered since the toy box is coming and this seems as viable a place for feedback for that sort of thing as any. ANYWAY, since I'm registered I figured I could weigh in on this briefly:

I beat Nuts and Bolts recently, and even thought of it same as you when we saw the ring race. That being said I think what really turned me off of that game was thinking the vehicles all controlled terribly, and that even the slightest variation on simple challenges had the potential to be absolutely miserable. I think it looked and sounded great, and that the on foot controls (while slow) actually felt really good. I had decent fun hunting down the part crates in the hub town.

The problem with the nuts and bolts' worlds was that I never felt like exploring, just drove straight to the icons and did whatever challenges were in the act. So if you are looking at it from a structural standpoint, what we know about Yooka-Laylee and its worlds is quite different from that (and much more similar to Banjo Kazooie). Aesthetically the worlds may have some in common with N&B, but I think how they are presented and how you interact with them will be very different.

I don't think it's bad either that it shares some similarity with N&B. That was a game which, despite personally disliking it, brought a lot of interesting ideas to the table. I'd love to see some of those things expanded on, and while I don't actually think Yooka-Laylee will push too far into that territory I am interested to see what they might pull from it.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 am

The aesthetic of Nuts-and-Bolts was the only part of that game I liked, so all good to me!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:20 pm

The main n&b-esque thing about yookalaylee is that the npc's are jist lurking about in the open. I'm hoping this won't be the case in the finished game.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Damn you all and your well reasoned responses.

Honestly, this game is top 5 all time most anticipated games ever for me. I believe the aesthetic was carried over from what Threeie was supposed to be...and what Nuts and Bolts became.

I expected way more vitriol from you guys.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:48 am

*googles Nutty Achres*
*googles Tribalstack Tropics*

Sorry, I really don't see it... :/

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:08 am

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:08 pm

"Yooka-Laylee seems more like a Nuts & Bolts spiritual successor than a Banjo-Kazooie one because the first level has a similar color theme to N&B's and you jump through hoops"

This makes no sense.

Starting out in a grassy world and an objective where you pass through rings outweighs the fact that Yooka-Laylee lacks N&B's main gimmick and is a collect-a-thon just like B-K and basically every other platformer that came out at the time?

Like....what?

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Look at the floor the game is looking more organic than Nuts and Bolts! Glad they worked on the feedback some people pointed out from the Kickstarter gameplay.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:43 pm

I see that those are similarly framed screenshots with similar colors. These are also both Rare-veined games, inspired by Banjo Kazzooie.

As other posters point out though Tribalstack tropics is incredibly more dense, as well as more vertical. Also the art style is more lush and detailed as rocho shows.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Lufkin

Postby Lufkin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:44 am

I see a similarity in the camera angle, that's it though. There's a similar-ish artstyle, but the images aren't all identical.

In term of level design, N&B (without having played it) seems very, very empty, there's nothing at all to see there, except some trees there and there. In the YL image, there's a LOT of things to see, and the level seems to expand beyond the fog. The level feels big. In the N&B's image, the level feels so small, it seems you could walk to the to the limit of the level in no time. YL's level is also very vertical, while N&B's is very flat and uninteresting.

Also, the YL's level seems more organic or natural, while N&B's seems, just... circular? I have the impression that the level is circular, with a perfectly circular river (or just a path?) right in the center, creating a perfectly circular island-thing in the middle. It looks really boring and uninspired.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:54 am

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 am

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:45 am

Well...clearly I was poking a bit of fun at everyone.

For me the similarities are the color pallete and, the races through the dry riverbed. The aesthetic between the levels however; is very different as many have pointed out.

I think some of the similarities also stem from Yooka and Laylee flying high over the geography,which shows off a roughly circular world which is ringed with a narrow river bed. Just like N&B.

Not hating whatsoever,

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”