The plot of Yooka-Laylee as an allegory...?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
NPChilla

The plot of Yooka-Laylee as an allegory...?

Postby NPChilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Yavga

Re: The plot of Yooka-Laylee as an allegory...?

Postby Yavga » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:35 pm

This has been suggested in several other places as well. I don't think it is very far-fetched that this is one of their inspirations.

Let's call them "Anger assets" XD
Stop picking your nose

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Has this really not been discussed before?

I think the allusion to Rare/Microsoft is obvious. Playtonic deny it (they need to keep on Microsoft's good side), but you cannot deny the similarities.

Hivory Towers is representative of big corporations that are stripped of the family values smaller companies have. Not mecessarily Microsoft, but Microsoft is the primary large corporation tied to Rare/Playtonic. Art imitates life. The inspiration would be hard to ignore.
Taylonic Ltd.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 pm

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm

It hasn't been explicitly discussed b.c. a lot of fans are still groaning that Playtonic would rather "stick it to the man" with a weirdly meta and overly-grandiose premise than come up with a better plot. It's not just you, everybody knows the story is a dig at corporate takeovers (etc) like Microsoft did with Rare.

How "literature" figures into the funhouse, googley-eyed worlds Playtonic has shown off is beyond me.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 am

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:17 am

I agree that from the very brief clips we've seen, the game looks just like a more polished Banjo-Kazooie game, which is great. I am concerned that this very specific, very meta plot puts an awkward, clunky constraint on the universe Yooka and Laylee live in, just because the developers are (rightfully) salty.

Conker for the N64 was meta as hell, breaking the fourth wall every couple of minutes, and it was more cringe-inducing than funny most of the time. I have a soft spot for its ambition and intent (a "mature", irreverent cartoon take on Gulliver's Travels), but it was very unfocused, even boring for long stretches, imo.

All Rare games (the ones with squirrels and monkeys, anyway) are silly, but Banjo-Kazooie kept us roped-in despite its absurdity and silly villains b.c. we believed the stakes were high for the duo throughout the game. I have not seen anything yet that suggests Capitol Bee 'converting the world's literature into pure profit' has any direct consequence for Yooka or Laylee that the player can sympathize with. Remember Gex: Enter the Gecko? What was that game about again? His tv broke or something? The manual was a funny read and all but after a while, I couldn't think of a single reason for a gecko on the verge of insanity--or myself--to go on another minute collecting 120 knicknacks.

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:32 pm

If the Banjo game's stories kept you roped in, then that's great. But, for me, if I'm honest, I just got engulfed in the worlds. I found it easy to forget my main goal when there's so many more interesting things going on in front of me.

Now, that could just be me, but I never found the overlying story to either Kazooie or Tooie to be amazing on any kind of scale. They were fun and gave reason for the journey, sure, but it could've always been a different McGuffin or what-have-you. :P

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Just because there hasn't been a specific thread doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed to death already. Because it has. It's been pointed out within the day the update detailing the story was first posted.

That aside, Playtonic themselves deny the story's connection to the Rare buyout.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:08 pm

While it does seem that what we know of the plot has a semblance to the story of Rare, Microsoft, and Playtonic, we should be careful when assuming intent or actual salty feelings.
Artists often end up putting aspects of their lives into the work they do, and not always intentionally!
And this isn't just one person -- many at Playtonic have some shared / similar experiences.

ANYWAYS. We know how some 'ingredients' to the story may come across to us but we have little idea how the story will actually play out. I find it very unlikely that the actual plot is this ham-fisted allegory folks on the internet are making it out to be.

BUT -- look at the world around you: conspiracy theories persist without end. (I don't know if it's that most people don't fact check, that they believe what they want to believe, our tendency to simplify/organize the world around us, that the internet medium favors the interesting over the accurate, or what.) This perceived connection isn't going anywhere, I'm afraid.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Agreed. Thought this was discussed before.

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:25 am

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 am

I like the image of Capital B laughing maniacally as books swirl around him (and we know Hivory Towers has a giant vacuum doing that, in game). It may seem ham fisted if you look at it a certain way, I'm sure. To me it's just amusing and fits with the worlds being in books as Genral Walnut points out

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”