Why isn't Yooka Laylee as talked about as Mighty No. 9 was?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
WyvernWings

Why isn't Yooka Laylee as talked about as Mighty No. 9 was?

Postby WyvernWings » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Mighty No. 9 was one of the most discussed pieces of software over the past 3 years in gaming. On popular gaming websites like IGN and Destructoid, comment sections regarding the game ranged around a few hundred.
In comparison to Yooka Laylee, the amount of discussion absolutely pales, despite its success on Kickstarter.
I looked at articles and discussions on Mighty No. 9 (before the problems with that game arose). Hundreds of comments, and everyone was like "OMG YES, YES AMAZING I GIVE IT TO ME NOW"

And with articles and discussions on Yooka Laylee, comments are far fewer (around 100 or much less) and most people are like "Mm. Not bad. Looks pretty good."

Of course, there are also people out there who are skeptical and cynical about Yooka Laylee (probably thanks to Mighty No. 9's controversies), and others who just don't like the idea of the game in general (though I never got to see if Mighty No. 9 got that as well when it was first revealed. It probably did.)

In short, Everyone talked about Mighty No. 9, while only some people are talking about Yooka Laylee.
Is it because Yooka Laylee was first announced just when Mighty No. 9's problems started coming up, or something else? What do you reckon it is?
Last edited by WyvernWings on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Why isn't Yooka Laylee as talked about as Mighty No. 9 was?

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:26 pm

One thing that's for sure is that the negative impressions from the whole development and outcome of Mighty No. 9 naturally spawned more discussions. As somebody who isn't a Mega Man fan and didn't care much for MN9, I don't know how much talk there was before the negative stuff took over. But judging from the Kickstarter success, it probably was higher as well. Maybe it's because the fanbase is indeed much larger than BKs ever was? The NES/SNES install base was way bigger than the one from the N64 and therefore more people probably played the Mega Man games. But speaking of Yooka-Laylee: Yes, I also expected more people to be vocal about this.

But later on I've got the feeling that many people just forgot how awesome the Banjo games were and that they have to be reminded in some ways like a trailer and gameplay footage in general that they, deep inside, really, REALLY want such a game. For example, while I got hyped as f*ck about the first signs of a spiritual successor in the shape of the Mingy Jongo Twitter account in 2012 (if you remember that) and later on in 2015 when it transformed into a real company that is Playtonic, André from GameXplain needed the E3 trailer to get that feeling as well (as he said in the discussion to this video). Anyway, I think Yooka-Laylee will take over many, many players once it's out in the wild. Anyone will be able to enjoy that game and way more people will play it compared to Mighty No. 9. And they will appreciate the production value, humor and creativity of this game. I'm so damn curious about the sales figures, to be honest. A physical release would help in this matter, but now I'm really straying away from the topic :lol:

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:01 pm

I think folks are taking a lot of failed or "disappointing" Kickstarters as a cautionary tale at this point. There were a bunch of folks reporting on Yooka-Laylee around E3, but most of them said the same things because they were given roughly the same hands-off demonstration, I believe.

At the same time, building a ton of hype around games often dooms them to underwhelm people, even if they're good games. :P

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:06 pm

During the PS2/GCN/Xbox years 3D collectathons kind of fell off a cliff. People got sick of games littered with pointless collectibles and even the better games in the genre, like Banjo Kazooie, ended up getting pushed from the public consciousness, with only Mario 64 really being spared from that reputation.

I noticed that when Banjo Kazooie was released on XBLA it wasn't as well received as I would have expected, and the number of people who just wanted to never look back to that era of games seemed pretty substantial.

In contrast, Mega Man fans felt similarly "betrayed" by Capcom as Banjo fans did with Microsoft. Mega Man, despite oversaturating its own genre back in the day with endless sequels and spin-offs, it was (and still is) incredibly well regarded. Generally people don't retroactively question the quality of the early Mega Man games (or even those early installments in the X series). It is also a series that has had likely over 50 installments, as opposed to banjo's 5, and been represented on almost every video game console, as opposed to the just the relatively meager Nintendo 64. Between general reception and just how many people have touched the series over the years, it's no wonder it continues to have such an active presence online.

I'm actually pretty interested in how Yooka-Laylee will be received. I'm hopeful it will do well with those most interested, but I can't help but wonder if the collectathon stigma is still strong enough to affect how the game reviews regardless of its actual quality. Not that how it reviews matters that much in most cases, but I am certainly curious.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Could also have to do with timing... Like e3 showed a lot of other new games and stuff to get hype for.

I was hyped as **** when the kickstarter for YL started. But now after e3 I'm way more hyped for the new Zelda XD

I think it's also that I'm being cautious, it's been so long...
Stop picking your nose

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm

What everyone said. Great points.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Not controversial, and it looks good.

Nothing to talk about, and nothing for fans to defend against.

Don't let the fact that its not constantly talked about get you down, Its successful kickstarter I think is pretty good proof that its on a lot of peoples radar.

For myself, and most of the people I know. I mean, we don't talk about it because we're content and simply patiently waiting.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Definitely in the not controversial camp.

Mighty No 9 got a ton of exposure from press, albeit negative. Had it actually released to rave reviews it may have taken all that momentum and landed on its own two feet!

RustyRick

Postby RustyRick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:05 am

I'm thinking it's because Mighty No. 9 had to live up to alot of expectations in the wake of Mega Man fans wanting a new game for so long that it's initial big hype and optimistic outlook just plunged into more cynicism with delay after delay for unclear reasons and a result of bad communication being to blame from the dev team's own words.

That's what I'm getting from the Mighty No. 9 matter in a nutshell. I didn't follow the game's developmental progress and updates at all but I heard that when the game was close to being released, the general reaction was incredibly mixed and after the release it just exploded, and from the footage I saw on YouTube from game reviewers and actual gameplay video's it looked rather bland for a 4-million budget title and that the online co-op seems to be a mess.

I do feel bad for the people who really wanted their money's worth from the kickstarter on that game, but I guess the reason why Yooka Laylee isn't as heavily debated then is because from what I see on the main project page, the dev team shows how the game's coming along, and to me, they deliver. I might have missed the opportunity to donate, but I sure have optimistic faith in the game and will buy it when it comes out. I just take the lack of heavy debate regarding Yooka Laylee's quality after how MN9 turned out as it being in the non-controversial camp like Meinhard1 says.

( Also slightly off-topic, a pleasure to meet you guys. :D )

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:56 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”