Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Jamie

Re: Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Jamie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi in the yooka laylee toybox beta i have a glitch were I can't stop rolling unless i hit a different button but after that button action i go back to the roll it's annoying so could some one fix btw i was using an Xbox one controller

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:06 pm

So we did a video playing through the Toybox+ it and giving out thoughts:

But a quick summation:
-Sound design is perfect, music (with channel fade) and all the voices/sound effects are exactly what I would have hoped for.
-Graphics are exactly what a modern platformer should be.
-All the new moves feel great, I have to play around with the roll a bit more though. It seems more "risk/reward" than the talon trot, where it's much faster but more difficult to platform with.
-Humor and dialogue was hilarious, loved Inept, I kind of hope he makes a brief appearance in the main game. Laughed out loud multiple times.
-The camera seemed to work well, minus getting stuck and locking up a few times as you'd expect from a pre-Alpha
-The new "physics" based elements (don't know exactly what to call it, the ball and the crate) really struck me as the only thing that needed a lot of work, I like how it's completely different than what you'd see in Banjo-Kazooie, but at the same time it needs a pushing animation or something like that.

Overall-VERY excited, and very satisfied with the experience.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:24 pm

I let my girlfriend play the game, she's played mario 64 long ago. She completed the game in 45 minutes with some hints where to find quills from me. And it's been years she played such a game.

I asked her what she thought about it:

She noticed that the control response was good. And she had fun with the teeter totter things. Made her think back to Mario 64. Overall she enjoyed it and she would play the full game if she is allowed to practise some more with the controls.
Stop picking your nose

Mevnie-Enn

Postby Mevnie-Enn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 pm

❤️              ❤️

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Mevnie-Enn

Postby Mevnie-Enn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 pm

❤️              ❤️

RAWowner333

Postby RAWowner333 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:45 pm

sarcastroll

Postby sarcastroll » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Like a number of people have said, I REALLY hope Yooka is allowed to use his hands for pushing/ledge grabs in the final game. I would also like to see better animation for the ball roll so that Laylee isn't awkwardly suspended in mid-air when you're idle, and maybe Yooka could go down slopes automatically as opposed to blatantly ignoring the laws of physics. Also, how exactly does he jump while in a ball? He just appears to rise into the air for no reason whatsoever, which seems a bit weird. :?
I think it'd be more realistic if Laylee kept her mouth closed while underwater, as well. Speaking of water, when they jump out it would be nice if their appearance temporarily changed to reflect being wet. Next, perhaps the attack combo should activate unconditionally. It can be tricky to pull off, (for me anyway), even when there are enough enemies around. Finally, I greatly dislike the blob shadow that appears when jumping. While I understand it's purpose, I'd still prefer it to at least be optional.

Complaints aside, I must compliment Playtonic on their attention to certain details. Not just the obvious, like tree/plant leaves reacting to Yooka, but the little things as well. For example, the noticeable sway of Laylee's wing membranes when rolling slowly. Or the different colored reflections in their eyes when you get close to a particle effect. And when running around on an icy surface, both characters will look down as if to be mindful of his footing. 8-) So please continue sweating the small stuff, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Last edited by Nanirourou on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
you kuh lady

dukasmc

Postby dukasmc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Love the Toybox! I have only a few slight suggestions.
Mainly the camera, when moving it auto centers behind you, I'd like to be able to turn that off so that the camera stays where I put it with the right stick. I think the bumper button to center the camera is all that's needed for centering vs the auto. As for the asked camera feedback, I like the third option there it moves with you. If you could move it yourself as well, that would be a bit preferable.
The only other piece I would say needs a bit more attention would be the fine motor control. I found myself quite a few times over shooting the area that makes Yooka walk vs run.

Other than those, everything felt very natural and like I was back playing old Rare games. Great job guys!

Serchinnho

Postby Serchinnho » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi,

I finished playing the ToyBox yesterday and here's my feedback.

Before anything, let me say I'm looking forward to 2017, you guys always bring a smile to my face with your character's names, dialogue puns and references but most importantly, character overall design and animations. We videogames players, need more developers like you whose passion is reflected in stages and characters. Keep up the fine work, gents!

Controls
I used an Xbox 360 controller and thought Yooka was too sensitive to any movement of the right stick. Maybe adding more weight would make tight platforming a challenge and not a "nerve wrecking" experience. It's not that it was bad in the ToyBox, it felt "bad" considering the size of Yooka and the hovering platforms. I never fell to my death but I felt I was lacking control.

Camera
Fixed cameras are good in some points (both examples in the puzzle area were fine to me) but for free roaming I think it's better to leave it to the player to play with the camera. I good modern example of a very customizable camera is in Rocket League. If I remember correctly you can change Height, Field of View and "Closeness" and it changes a lot how you see the game. Maybe it's too much to ask (or program) but I think it would be worth it. Please, check the options in that game.
Also, some games have the camera in the character's right/left shoulder instead of dead center, but honestly the camera you have now reminded of the 64 era and that could be a signature thing that you want to preserve, I don't know.

Swimming
Swimming is supposed to be slow and clumsy, it should feel a little difficult and unresponsive, but I would allow for small changes in height when tapping the A or X buttons. Maybe the animation won't make sense (Yooka would change height before his animation starts) but it would make swimming more fun and with that you avoid changing height in "integer" values. The same can be applied to swimming in the same plane. Other than that, I think swimming is fine.

Hovering with Laylee
I loved that the camera would look down when hovering at low speed. Just make it look a little farther away from Yooka-Laylee so we can see further down.

Yooka as a ball
Yeah, it felt unnatural to make 90 degrees turns but maybe it's a matter of animation. What if you do it like a car? The more you turn Yooka while ball jumping the more speed and grip he loses so the player has time to react to the new direction. Basically make Yooka drifting: the mini-game. As Yooka has to beat the slope and maintain control, that gives the player time to "keep composure". Then you can add momentum to the equation and you get a high speed Yooka action all the way!

Ground smash
It's all fine. When doing it with some momentum, Yooka still moved a little bit. Maaaaaybe make it a complete "stop momentum" move, I don't know if it's better or not.

FIRST PERSON CAMERA
It would be so cool if you could see as Laylee, so you can see Yooka's head. Notice I'm already assuming there's a first person camera... There's gonna be one, right? Right?!

Thanks in advance and pleas stay awesome!

Here are some emojis for finishing reading this post :| :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :D

j0rmungund

Postby j0rmungund » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:59 pm

I haven't read through this discussion, so please excuse me if I hit on points already discussed.
-I played the Toybox+.
-I used mouse and keyboard (for now)
-I played through 100% (including the final secret)

-Sometimes I found the camera difficult to control, especially when there was a wall directly at my characters back.
-I liked the full top down view in the glass roofed puzzle section.
-I didn't like the feel when I pushed boxes, I just didn't feel like there was any weight to them at all.
-I feel like swimming could be tweaked a bit more. Rising and sinking didn't seem responsive to me.
-Overall land character movement is FANTASTIC.
-I use dual monitors. My mouse would regularly fall out of the game onto my other monitor while in full screen. I had to unplug my 2nd monitor in order to play this Toybox+.
-I wish there was more range of movement on the camera (at least looking up), or a free look mode.
-Sometimes the camera would shift around when I didn't want it to. This proved exceptionally frustrating when I was doing jumping challenges.

Squeakers

Postby Squeakers » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Oh! I failed to mention that out of the camera angles presented for that puzzle part, I preferred the top-down camera!

BILLY AGE 8

Postby BILLY AGE 8 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:20 pm

I played through the toybox last night and I have a bit of feedback overall. I know a lot of this has maybe been said, but in case any of it hasn't, I feel like I need to do my best to help you find bugs, and fix things.

First off, I'd like to say that you've nailed the feeling of Banjo Kazooie! It's so good, and I want more of it. It's great so far, and the minor things I have to say about the mechanics or anything else, I feel are doable before release.

First off, the gravity. I know that sometimes developing in Unity, Gravity is something you can just take for granted, since it's already coded into the physics. But there are a LOT of issues with the gravity in the game. The speed ramps up WAY too quickly. You'll jump off a ledge, and before the camera has time to react, you've already hit the ground. There's no sense of weight, because at times you feel light, and other times you drop like you're going into a black hole. The worst is if you are jumping off a ledge while doing the roll run. For some reason after you are rolling and you jump, you are sucked down to the ground at an incredible speed. So, putting some caps on how high of a falling speed you can have would do you a lot of favors.

That leads me to my second point. The roll run. It's great fun to run around with that run. I've noticed a few things that are huge issues. So, if I lightly press right or left, the turn is fairly responsive. However, if you press directly back from your facing direction, it does this big wide turn to try and turn around. Causing you to go forward more than you'd expect. The turn radius of this is so bad that it took me about 10 minutes to get up that tower. You can sort of get past it by not pressing back, EVER. I'd just like to see it able to just spin around and start running the way you want if you are holding still. If you are running, I sort of see the reason for the turn radius, but it causes a lot of frustration.

While we're talking about the roll run, I want to talk about the animation of the roll run. It's fun, it's cute, and I love it. But it's tied to the animation state-machine in a way that it just cycles through the animation as you are running, which is fine. However, if you're standing still, I'd like to see a roll-ready idle animation. Instead of this animation holding still in the middle of it. I know that animations take time, having done some myself, but I hope you aren't neglecting a possible REALLY fun idle, and an even more fun waiting idle after staying in that idle for some time. That being said, I'm impressed with the animations so far. I love the dynamic between the two characters in all their animations so far.

I REALLY want a ledge grab. So many ledges in this game are right in front of you, almost under your feet, and you can't get up them unless you do your high jump. Raise the high jump just a tiny bit, and add a ledge grab. It'd be so nice to just be able to grab onto something when you are almost there.

I do also have a few suggestions about the camera. The tower where you're using the roll run to get up could use a little adjusted camera. Much like the area where it goes top-down, it could pull away, taking a little bit of control away from the player, allowing better visibility. Pull away, and face almost to the side of the player toward the tower itself. That way you get a little bit of visibility we don't have. If you need somewhat of an example, I'd say to look at Journey, they have a section where you're climbing a tower much in the same kind of way, just with less speed, and it pulls away for better platforming and visability. Another section with the same exact problem would be the balance platforms. This one I'd say would benefit from a semi-static camera that pulls out and looks at the wall. Much like the Tick-tock clock level in Mario 64.

I did notice once, where I was between a treasure chest and a wall, the camera started spinning trying to find a good focus point on my character. It just kept going until I finally stepped from behind the chest. This is a minor thing, as many games have this camera issue, but I'd like to see if you could make it so the game detects that this is going on and won't continue. Just let the player take complete control at this point.

The last camera thing I found was when you're on a moving platform. I wanted to look around the world, but the camera kept fighting with me to point in the direction the platform was moving. So I sat there with the camera going side to side as I was trying to look away from the direction, and the camera wanted me to look in that direction. It's just a battle the player shouldn't have to fight.

Another suggestion is swimming. I am fine with the way it works, X is down, A is up. But it's a tad too unresponsive. I'd say cut the time it takes for Yooka to face down or up in half. It should feel like you're swimming, but it should also feel like you have some sort of control.

Last suggestion. The boxes that break apart make walking around hard. Yooka should be able to just walk or roll on top of all the stuff. Either that or after some time the pieces should have collisions turned off, so that the player isn't fighting to just walk around all the broken pieces of wood and metal.

I know this is a LOT of stuff, and it's probably pretty wordy. But I want to love this game, and I do so far. This is pre-alpha, and you guys have your work cut out for you, you are well on your way, I just hope that some of this is helpful, even if you already knew it. Keep it up!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:36 pm

After playing through the Toybox (with a 360 controller) I can say that I agree with pretty much everything you guys said. First, Playtonic, you guys are awesome! But let's recap what kind of improvements I agree (or came up) with:

- Swimming: Please, make it faster! And I prefer the BK-styled swimming where you have to press a button repeatedly to make your swimming movements. It was more immersive that way, made it feel like you're really pushing through the water. Also, Laylee: close your mouth!

- Rolling: Yep, it's a bit clunky when it comes to close turns. That tower drove me crazy as well until I discovered that you can roll slowly as well. But it all depends on the level design in the final game as well.

- Animations: And here I can only repeat what others said: Yooka should really use his hands while pushing something, even if he's just running against a wall. And I hope there's going to be different sneaking / walking animations... slowing down the running animations makes the character look static, but I guess you guys thought about that anyway!

- Voice Mumbling: I'm not that certain about this one. I kind of agree that it would be nice to just speed it up, but I guess skipping the whole thing makes it less annoying if somebody really doesn't like these sounds at all. An option would be great though and effortless as well, I imagine (I'd speed it up!)

- Attack Combos: Where are they?!

- Fighting the minions: Yes, it could have some more punch. May it be visually or sound-wise. Other then that, I'm fine. I guess there will be lots of ways to attack them (BTW ground pounding works as well if you target them correctly), so it won't be that repetitive. And whacking enemies was always rather easy in the Banjo games, so I'm fine. Y-L will probably have the most complex enemies if it comes to that, too, since they've got a proper AI.

- Channel Fades: ...weren't so obvious in this game, since the areas were pretty simple. But what I really want to hear is a proper piano-driven underwater arrangement!

- Momentum: Has to get in there! I imagine I would want to run, then crouch, slide and then do a high jump in quite many situations! That makes the gameplay feel more fluent!

There's too much good stuff to say, though. For example, all the gibberish sounds, the animation after falling from a high place and the general controls! I'll add new stuff if I can think of something :mrgreen:

By the way: Will the Jungle World theme be used in the final game now? We heard it like, a thousand times already. From the Kickstarter to the Toy Box, it'd be probably nice to get a new track for the first world. Even if there's that Mayahem-Colosseum-like variation (check out the mixed track @IGN for that), which I couldn't find in the Toy Box.

Mevnie-Enn

Postby Mevnie-Enn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Short opinion:

I LOOOOVE the cute noise that Laylee makes when you roll. On some Y-L thread I noticed someone complaining about it, but if you compare it to Talent Trot from BK, I think the Reptile Roll sounds much less annoying.

... Opinion over.
❤️              ❤️

Dewzie

Postby Dewzie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Playing on an old PC running Vista so many of these things might just be due to it not meeting minimum specs?

- There is some texture stretching on Yooka around the neck/chest area while swimming.

- Delay between letting go of the movement key and Yooka actually stopping. It felt like I was playing the "Luigi" version and skidding all over the place. More precise controls would be appreciated.

- Double jumps in these kinds of games feel, I don't really know what the word is, cheap? The reason it worked in the Banjo games is because Kazooie flapped her wings and gave a reason for the additional movement. Defying gravity and getting an extra jump for no reason doesn't look right. Just making Laylee flap her wings to give an extra bit of lift would work much better and could then transition into the current gliding animation.

- The rolling move needs an idle animation. I think a "tyre squeal" scenario could work (maybe exclusively for inclines) or a simple rocking back and forth while Laylee tries to balance. Being blown by the wind was a bit weird too. I felt like I was stepping on super speed pads rather than being pushed by something, but changing the animation should help.

- I couldn't get the combo attack to work although I think I saw something purple happening once? The spin attack doesn't look like it would combo into something either although obviously it does (seems equivalent to Banjo's roll attack instead). From the description I was expecting a sort of punch > tail spin > Laylee headbutt type combo.

- Keyboard and mouse controls are a bit awkward. Worth noting I'll be playing it on Wii U come release anyway, but for my hands crouching would have been easier if it was on the shift key.

- Swimming wasn't very enjoyable. The control used in Banjo-Kazooie is a lot more intuitive (steer where you want to go, rather than pressing buttons to ascend/descend like a machine).

- I think the top down camera view is probably the best overall, although I liked the last one because it reminded me of Banjo-Kazooie. Definitely not the first one as I didn't even know I should be pushing the block and went elsewhere.

The fact that these are the only negatives I can come up with, most of which are probably on your to-do list already, just shows how great this is shaping up.

tipdaddy78

Postby tipdaddy78 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Loved the toybox and wow was the button hard to find!

One thing I wanted to ask others was: Could other Toybox+ users not utilze that Triple-X attack combo? I can see that my wall says "TOYBOX+" when I enter the game, but couldn't do anything other than a normal attack.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”