Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yavga

Re: Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Yavga » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:57 pm

I am unable to play now, but I promise you I will make it my mission to find a collision glitch after immersing myself fully in the experience 8)
Stop picking your nose

Pyrii

Postby Pyrii » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 pm

CPU314159

Postby CPU314159 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Cube

Postby Cube » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:10 pm

The biggest issue is the camera. I feel that it might be better if it didn't rotate back to behind Yooka. The corner roll jump (at the top of the tower) and the see-saw sections would be better if we could angle the camera sideways and have it stay there for a bit.

As for the cameras for the brick puzzle: if you could take the one from the third room but add rotation to it, it would be great.

Other than that, I loved it. Controls felt great and the feeling of the game overall is spot-on.

soulstorm64

Postby soulstorm64 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:16 pm

^^ Agreed with the controls it feels so tight and to the point responsive that its almost borderline ridiculous. after finishing through the Toybox experience and finding the secret switch *which if you find it you will gain some useful knowledge :)*

The Animation for collecting a pagie is very nice! not too intrusive but to the point, very Banjo Tooie Esque which is good!

The rolling sound i absolutely love! the little squeaking every time you roll gives it that nice cutesy feel, especially when rolling into the Breeze Clouds.

At first i was a little confused with the swimming mechanic seeing as i was trying to do it like Banjo-Kazooie but after learning that pushing forward moves you straight in a nice pace.

really overall the experience was very good! way better than expected!

Cube

Postby Cube » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Speaking of swimming: it feels really slow. A button for a faster swim would be great (unless that's a planned move or something).

calebjallen

Postby calebjallen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:27 pm

Eps

Postby Eps » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Ok, I assume this is a work in progress, but there are two animations missing.

One is when you hold down the Roll button but don't actually move in any direction. That frozen pose is super awkward.

The other is when you push things - there is no pushing animation. You just continue moving as if the pushed object isn't even there. Not ideal.

Otherwise, the experience is perfect in every way. d- ^_^ -b

AaronMT

Postby AaronMT » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Love it.

One issue to talk about for now and two minor nits:

1. Main issue are the see-saw platforms. For me, personally, there was a bit of frustration in getting up them due to not knowing when my jump would be enough height to get up versus a LT+A ("flutter") jump. I would always not quite be level with landing a jump. I would always not quite be level with landing a jump, even a fully tilted platform.

What I kind of miss in situations like this is a ledge grab ability (I know, I know, Mario 64). Because Yooka grabs onto Laylee's arms, will Yooka not be able to ledge grab and pull Yooka up?

http://imgur.com/a/K69yt

In the screenshot above, on the see-saw platforms at the top is where I can't make that jump unless I LT+A ("flutter") jump.

My minor nit is the weird fishbowl barrel CRT distortion effect under-water.

Second nit, rolling turn radius is wild. Wondering if that will be honed in a bit for better control?

Lastly, I too have the Toybox+ but there is no triple attack combo. The control menu says there should be.
Last edited by AaronMT on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cube

Postby Cube » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Okay, I have some questions (I have the Toybox+):
- What is the extra area added to the Toyboy+?
- I can't seem to perform the Attack Combo. How and when to perform it & what does it look like?
- Can you use the powers found in that 1 secret room & what is that human thingy in the bubble and the human thingy running around it in that same room?
Last edited by Piet on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirRuto

Postby SirRuto » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:51 pm

I have a small tweak/suggestion.

In BK and some other platformers, when you crouch after running, you slide a certain distance. It makes for really fluid platforming, so I noticed its absence when I ran and crouched into a high jump. It felt kinda stiff.

Only other thing is the box-pushing felt lifeless. I'm not sure how to fix that, (a pushing animation and giving it more weight maybe) but it felt off.

Great stuff otherwise!

HarmfulSpacenut

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Just played through the toybox (I have toybox plus)

I did of course immediately make my usual tests I do in games. Testing the jumps, the fall speed, how the jumping works, responsiveness of the character. And I fell in love with this game immediately.

Now the camera needs work and more options, it has the option to reverse the vertical axis, yet it misses the reverse horizontal axis option. The camera can freeze (for up to a second) when you push the camera against a wall, it needs to unfreeze before getting control back of the camera.
I had to fight the camera a lot during the section with the seesaw.
The game absolutely needs a first person view to look around and maybe the possibility to put the camera further away!

The Water controls are something I need to get used to, as I am very used to press button to swim in the direction you are facing controls. I guess they get alright when I get used to them!

The rolling is pretty awesome and it's fun just rolling around. I see some people had trouble climbing the mountain, I do not share this problem. I just went up that mountain slowly, as there is no danger of sliding down bright blue surfaces as long as you are in ball form!

Pushing those boxes is not good, they feel like they have no weight at all, and there is no push animation!

The enemies are adorable, and I do like that if there is only one left, he shakes in fear from Yooka and Laylee! (Also the monster with the pants on his head might be the best thing ever)

I found catching the ghost kinda hard for some reason, he dodges away too fast for me, but then he walked right into me so...

The fixed cameras. I liked the second on that moved with you.
You should have added a fixed camera to the seesaw section as well!

What I would like to see added is a midair attack, like in banjo kazooie, not only because it's pretty cool to attack midair, but in banjo it did let you stay in the air for that little bit longer! And that little bit can make all the difference!
You absolutely need to add ledge grabbing, to climb up places, it is a big part of why platformers are so good!

The last final switch is really well hidden! Good job, for a moment I thought this was Ice Key 2.0!

After the Mighty Number 9 disaster I can say this Toybox made me glad I backed YookaLaylee when I did!
Last edited by HarmfulSpacenut on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Korados

Postby Korados » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:54 pm

I played the Toybox+ with my brother together. The animations and the ability to combine the moves is great!
We also loved the humour, the music, and the very nostalgic feeling!

However, we have some suggestions:

- Make the second jump of the double jump slightly higher and/or add a ledge grabbing mechanic.
- The underwater effects were a bit irritating, maybe you could tone them down a little. The underwater
movement is a bit too drifty.
- The same goes for the rolling sprint ability. It was quite difficult to climb the mountains.
- In the camera test sections, the top-down view was fine but the 45° angle view should
still allow you to horizontally move the camera around.
- The wind effect was a bit too strong.
- The tilting wooden platforms tilted a bit too fast.
- Maybe it would be nice if jumping is still possible in sliding sections like the big blue
slide with the red spheres.

We weren't able to find the last button which appears after collecting the Pagie because
even though we knew that it was around yellow terrain, the lack of distinguishable landscapes
made it too difficult. Does someone know where it is?

I hope we could help with our feedback! You did a great job so far! :D

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:58 pm

HarmfulSpacenut

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Dragonbutts

Postby Dragonbutts » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 pm

It was worth the wait!
Very fun, I loved fighting the minions! The first group had one with a medieval helmet and when the next group spawned one had a pair of pants. Fancy pants I must say.
I love that the glide lasts for so long, and the second jump gives Laylee the tiniest boost upwards. Small feature, but something I enjoy.

Everyone has noted the same problems I've found with the controls, mainly:

-Rolling is odd, kinda hard to control around tight corners (took me 6 tries to get up the "Spiral Mountain")
-No animation for pushing boxes/ball, or for stationary in rolling pose.
-Camera issues
-Swimming is difficult. Pushing Yooka down to swimming forward and down traps him facing straight down which is hard to break. I didn't get to swimming controls and kinda accidentally got to the place I needed.

All of these will most likely be fixed and I'm sure they'll add animations in (Playtonic does love it's polished games I'm sure)!

Please Playtonic, add wall-grab to Yooka and Laylee's abilities! It feels so weird without it!

(Also hi everyone I was a lurker, and now I'm a poster :) )

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:12 pm

flameabel

Postby flameabel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Its finally here!
Had so much fun with this! The controll felt great, the only difficulty with the controlls were while rolling, but could be due to controlling on keyboard. I got the hang of it after a few tries.

I also encountered this strange double spring jump. Here is a of it.
All I'm doing is holding crouch and jump while running off the edge of a platform.
Its very fun, but I suppose its a bug, since it doesn't occur while standing still and spring jumping.

Can't find the button...

Toybox is very promissing, and so cool that we backers get to play it first.
Really looking forward to the full game!
Good work Playtonic!

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed the ToyBox. Can't find the last button (unless it's the particle room, in which case, neat), but that seems par for the course.

On the whole, I found it really enjoyable.

That said, I do agree with some of the criticism. Namely, the cameras on the see-saws were a nightmare, controller or no, and I would estimate that this has to do with the camera colliding with the walls.

The lag on the swim is also painful for me. Pressing A or X to rise is so delayed I often wind up much lower or higher than I anticipated as Yooka takes a couple of seconds after releasing to level out.

I also don't enjoy the lag on the ground pound, though I find it tolerable. When I hit the button I would very much like for Yooka to lose his momentum and then drop as opposed to him maintaining an ambiguous portion of it following his drop.

The fixed camera was wonderful. Based on the dialogue I think its safe to assume Playtonic was a bit unsure of it, and understandably. I think assuming it only appears in the proper zones (the see-saws could probably use it, as could the zone it was designed for), it would make a great addition. I did prefer the view which was closer to straight over as I found the walls occasionally obscured me with the lower, more angled shot. Had there been enemies I would have found this frustrating.

On the whole though, despite these few minor gripes I have nothing but positive things to say about the game.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to quarter 1.

Edit: Found the button. I checked the location before it was there, so that's on me for not thinking to check again.
Last edited by TheHeartMan on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”